One Extreme To Another

Old 07-05-2010, 04:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

One Extreme To Another

I find that my ability to deal with life in a non-dysfunctional way is all over the globe these days. One day I'm confident, self-assured and mature and the next I'm the codie infant from my old days.....WAAAHHH I wanna let down my boundaries, get involved in drama that isn't mine, etc. but most of all my mind starts running away with me. I start thinking about the past, how I wish things could be, about my shame and embarassment.....then I'm sad and moody on top of codie. Sigh....

I know taking care of yourself is important. If I don't sleep well the next day is a codie hell (hey...is that a haiku?) I've been eating a lot better and drinking tons more water and I can tell the difference there. I work nights so regular sleep not always an option. Any other suggestions for helping to keep on an even keel? (other than the obvious diet, exercise). Any help would be appreciated
Old 07-05-2010, 05:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Attended By a Single Hound

Originally Posted by DirtMagnet View Post
I start thinking about the past, how I wish things could be,

Could, should, if, but...That, at least for me, is a big part of the battle. Instead of thinking about what my life should be, what would have happened if, how I could do this, but and what I could be, how I wish etc...I get up and I act.

Don't wait around letting self pity to settle in thinking or hoping or despairing because wishes don't come true. Wishes do come true, but only if you make them happen. That's the magic, not a fairy god mother etc, but you...not what you should or wish, or want to happen, but what you make happen.

Even if there was a magic genie that gave you the life you think you want...it'd mean nothing,change nothing. What changes, develops, betters us and alleviates the boredom, terror and feelings of impotence is not getting what we want but working for what we get.

Keep fighting,mate and keep posting.
Old 07-05-2010, 07:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Do you know how to meditate? Have you ever taken a yoga class? I tell you what, those two things can REALLY help. Yoga sort of incorporates meditation so you get more bang for your buck there! If you can't get to (or afford) classes, there are some really good DVD's too.
Old 07-05-2010, 09:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Awakening

Hi DM,

I used to work nights, rotating shift work 2 weeks on each of three shifts. I don't know how old you are, but after about 30 or so, graveyards used to make me feel miserable....hence the name "graveyards".

It didn't matter if I slept 2 or 10 hours I felt the same. I don't believe humans are wired for nights. Maybe look into changing shifts/careers?

Thanks and God bless us all,
Coyote
Old 07-05-2010, 01:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

What helps me is to distract, distract, distract! go out with friends.

Go out to dinner. Go see a movie. By myself, if I have to. Get out of the house where I'm alone with my thoughts. Go for a hike. Go take a class-learn something new. Just quit ruminating-that's what I am always telling myself. It's not like my churning thoughts of if only, if only...are gonna change anything.