Notices

Terrifying nightmare

Old 06-25-2010, 06:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Terrifying nightmare

Today is Day 4. I have been getting barely any sleep since I quit - maybe 3 hours per night, so I thought for sure I'd sleep through the night last night. I fell asleep around 1:00 (went to bed at 9:30), but woke up at 3 am screaming at the top of my lungs sitting up in bed due to a VERY disturbing nightmare. It wasn't alcohol related (well, actually I'm sure it was subconsciously), but something straight out of a horror movie. Come to think of it, I've been having pretty scary dreams every night since I stopped.

I have NEVER in my life woke up screaming! Scared the hell out of me, my husband, and my poor dogs. Is this something that will continue to happen?? I was so scared I didn't want to go back to sleep!
Old 06-25-2010, 06:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sobering up gives your mind and body a real shock. Last time I did it I had bad dreams, but they did go and I'm certain yours will if you stay sober. I never woke up screaming, that sounds pretty disturbing.
Old 06-25-2010, 07:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It's the DT's.

I always had horrific nightmares when I was sobering up. They usually involved spiders.

They will pass in a few days as your system recovers. Have you seen a doctor since you stopped? Might be a good idea to get some medical advice to make sure you're not damaging yourself by detoxing alone.
Old 06-25-2010, 07:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Hi Im Sharon and I am
an Alcoholic.

I dont recall having any
real disturbing dreams in
early recovery.

Im sure i had a few drinking
dreams which is normal
while just sobering up,
but the longer i stayed
sober and worked my
recovery program, my
dreams became recovery
dreams.

They would have alcohol
in them tempting me and
me definitely saying no
I dont drink and adding
AA in there.

Maybe because i wanted
to be sober more than
anything and would go to
any lengths to stay sober.

It's now a part of my
mind body and soul.
Old 06-25-2010, 07:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Speaking of dreams.....

Im sitting here sipping
my coffee and watching
my taped So You Think
You Can Dance show and
I just remembered some
of last nights dream.

I went into a little gift shop.
Why Im not really sure.
However I asked for something
AA. A chip or jewelry.

A lady then gave me
one of those string
bracelets and told me
that you give someone
one who is in recovery.

Like sharing one of urs
to another.

I thought that was cool.

I had a pretty bracelet
of my own on thinking
i should give her mine
but because it was
expensive I selfishly
decided why should I
give my good stuff away....

yikes..!

That's all i remember
about the AA part of my
dream I had.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Penny, I vaguely remember waking up hollering in the night - the kind when you keep doing it even after your eyes are open and you know you're not asleep. I think that was during my first month. No clue what it was about. In the last week or two (7 months later), I have been waking up wishing I could dream more, but I have no idea what was so enjoyable. Ironic, since I have been in one of my down periods again. Without having expertise on it, I would think you would not be dealing with this after a month as a result of your post-alcohol adjustment. I've never been a preachy type about physical activity, but I think the more you do to stay active within your personal limits, the better things will be for you.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
April 18, 2010

Hi Penny--nice to meet you.

I've woken up screaming. I had horrible nightmares for the first few weeks of recovery (and I thought they were just going to be part of sober life), but they are pretty much gone now at 69 days. I hope your dreams get better sooner rather than later.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Karma Amputee

Speaking of dreams, I bought a used air filter box for $5 from Christopher Walken last night in my dream, gave him a big old hug :ghug3 when I slipped him the finsky and when I asked him if he had email or cell phone so I could let him know how it worked out he said he didn't have either so I told him I'd just let him know how it worked out next time I see him, lol...
Old 06-25-2010, 11:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ronan View Post
It's the DT's.

I always had horrific nightmares when I was sobering up. They usually involved spiders.

They will pass in a few days as your system recovers. Have you seen a doctor since you stopped? Might be a good idea to get some medical advice to make sure you're not damaging yourself by detoxing alone.
No, it is not DTs. It is detox related but DT stands for delirium tremens not detox, and you have them while wide awake, although it is common to pass out from a seizure or to die while having the DTs. In fact the primary goal of treatment of DTs is to save the patient's life.

This is the DTs: Delirium tremens: MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia
Old 06-25-2010, 12:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Penny, your brain is tired from lack of sleep, once you get real rested your dreams should return to normal....I often have nightmares, they usually start early and i wake up after only having been asleep for 45 mins. to an hour. I have woken myself up I think by screaming and my heart is thumping a mile a minute.
Old 06-25-2010, 02:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for your bad night Penny. I had a few nightmares, but not every night - I hope they start to ease off.

D
Old 06-25-2010, 03:11 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Day 4 is still really early and I remember having very vivid dreams during the first week. It will get better!!
Old 06-25-2010, 03:17 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dgillz View Post
No, it is not DTs. It is detox related but DT stands for delirium tremens not detox, and you have them while wide awake, although it is common to pass out from a seizure or to die while having the DTs. In fact the primary goal of treatment of DTs is to save the patient's life.

This is the DTs: Delirium tremens: MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia
I stand corrected. I always thought the DT's included those realistic nightmares where you wake up screaming!

Terrible side effect all the same!
Old 06-25-2010, 03:43 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I once dreamed I was sitting next to Clay Aiken in an amphetheater at my mother's nursing home....he hae a knapsack full of large dill pickles....(you can't make this stuff up).
Old 06-25-2010, 09:56 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fandy View Post
I once dreamed I was sitting next to Clay Aiken in an amphetheater at my mother's nursing home....he hae a knapsack full of large dill pickles....(you can't make this stuff up).
Now thats what i call a nightmare! Ha! Alex
Old 06-25-2010, 11:15 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Fandy,

Ohh man! The Freudian implications of that dreams just made me laugh! I'm sure it was pretty scary at the time, though~

Sometimes a pickle is just a pickle....LOL

Love,

Lenina