Notices

Another try

Old 06-22-2010, 12:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Another try

Well the last attempt about 2 months ago didn't go very well, guess I just wasn't ready to give the smokes up. But the past few weeks I've been really feeling more & more like I really want to quit. So did something different this time to show myself what I'm doing to my lungs.

Normally when I smoke I toss the butts in a coffee can on the front porch (I always smoke outside). And I know how much I smoke (pack a day) but you never really see exactly how fast 20 cigs a day add up. So for the past week rather than tossing the butts in the can I have just been dropping them next to the chair on the porch. Yesterday was 7 days of doing that and there's 140 old cig butts in a pile next to the chair....it's really helped me to see that big nasty pile and think just how much smoke I'm actually taking into my lungs each and every week.

So started this morning, today is day-1 again and hopefully for the last time.

Steve
Old 06-22-2010, 07:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

DayWalker-

Hey there. I am in. Tomorrow will be my day 1 - hopefully we can agonize with each other

I smoke about 5-7 a day - but totally addicted I have quit for a week or a month at a time frequently, but sadly go back when I get stressed. I'd like to channel that stress into a more healthy habit..

My goal is to quit in conjunction with training to run a 5K.. so my lungs will need all the help they can get.

How are you going to do it? Patch, white knuckle? All in all, it will be one day at a time.

Wishing you AND me success!!!

Pork
Old 06-22-2010, 09:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good deal Pork we'll both give it our best shoot to do it this time

I'm not planning on doing it on anything but will power this time. In the past I have tried the patch, a nicotine inhaler, nicotine gum, and smokeless cigarettes. All with "some" success as well as failures and I've kind'a come to the conclusion that those things help if you think they are helping. So this time I'm just doing it will will power and a desire to live longer and healthier.

Also sticking $6 (price of smokes here) in a jar every day so I can see how much I'm saving as a means to reward myself.

Only been one day and already had a big craving tonight around 11pm. Sucked pretty bad for about 5 mins but passed pretty fast and back to okay now.

Steve
Old 06-23-2010, 06:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good for you for getting through the craving Yeah, I have to agree on the patches, gum, etc. At some point you are going to have to go cold turkey from the nicotine anyway - so it is like prolonging the inevitable while "they" still take your money. Cigs here are pretty much $9 a pack - so if that ain't a reason to quit, my health is?? lol

I had a couple patches left over from the last time I quit for a week two weeks ago. So I did just slap one on this morning. I find that I can go until day 3 usually and then I break down and cry hysterically... so we will have to see how I will handle that differently this time

Let's keep living the smoke free dream!!!
Old 06-23-2010, 01:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Cigs here are pretty much $9 a pack

Holy Moly Batman....I was ranting about them when they went up to $6.30 a pack, I can't even fathom having to pay $9 a pack for them, jeezzz you even have a bit extra reason to quit if they are that much where you are.

I'm jonesing BAD today for only being day2...feels more like day 4 or 5 the way I'm craving a smoke all day today. Haven't given in and trying not to but wow I feel like crap today
Old 06-24-2010, 05:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

whomp here it is... DAY TWO. Yesterday seemed like a week. Oh I know that we can do this, they are not stronger than we are... every time I feel like having one I have/will go for a walk walk or chew gum (orbit spearmint is delightful, whipped thru a quarter of a 35 pak yesterday, jaw hurts a wee bit) or brush my teeth. Also, someone recommended that I get those dental floss sticks, so I can floss away the cravings

Have a good one DayWalker.. you can doooooo eeettttttt (said like Adam Sandler).
Old 06-25-2010, 03:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

No patch yesterday, decided to go full monty. So I am at least 36 hours in to being nicotine free. Trying to take in all the info here on the site and use it to my advantage. Going away for the weekend and that will help, as I was a complete closet smoker - because it is DIZZZZGUSTING.

Ate enough for a family of 7 yesterday, but also got in exercise.

Hope you are doing well...
Old 06-26-2010, 10:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm doin' good pork. Long story short my best friend (55 yrs old) had to be taken to the hospital the other night with chest pains, he's okay now but has to take meds now for the rest of his life....but know what the first thing they told him was? You have to quit smoking!

His sudden heart problems REALLY had an affect on me. The night I found out about him I wanted to smoke (nerves) but now that he's okay and I'm looking at things I see just how much this helps to fortify that smoking is gonna kill me, you, him, and anyone that smokes. So the past day or two I really haven't had much in the way of cravings for a smoke. The health scare with my buddy due to smoking hopefully might have scared me straight lol. My buddy hasn't had a smoke since the night he was taken to the hospital so it's good for him&me that now we can quit together and help each other do it.

How bout' you...still hangin' in there?

Steve
Old 06-28-2010, 05:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Steve,

I am really sorry to hear of your friend's hospitalization and your obvious worry and concern. You should be very impressed with the way in which you responded - which did not include the knee jerk reaction back to something comfortable (despite the knowledge that the comfort will eventually kill). That is fabulous - hopefully your friend will now be inspired to join you in not smoking.

I am still smoke free and am getting to the point where I am getting stronger in my conviction to not smoke with every day that I rack up. Just another step in getting healthier emotionally (no false crutch) and physically (healthy lungs!!).

I broke my baby toe (this little piggy went OW THAT HURTS LIKE HELL) over the weekend, but as soon as that heals up, I am going to get back to training for a 5K..

Thanks for checking in!
Old 06-28-2010, 11:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

..just a note..$16.00 ave pkt in ozland...ouch!

i'm 20 days 'cold turkey'..nrt therapy didn't work..

..good luck..."never take another puff.."
Old 06-29-2010, 11:55 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Great job to all three of you.

I only smoked about 1/2 a pack a day, but was totally addicted to them.

I wish I could put $6 buck away a couple times a week and have that rack up, but I've effed up my financial life so bad that I need every dime I make to hang in there right now. That too will get better tho' and at least I'm not spending that $ on smokes.
Old 06-29-2010, 04:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hey - Congrats to all of you. We paid an average of $11.00/pack and I thought that was HORRIBLE until I read someone paid $16.00 - YIKES! I am at 6 weeks 1 day!!! This is my third honest to goodness quit and it definitely feels different this time. No matter how much I want to smoke, I still know I don't want to smoke more so I am confident this time will be the one...here's hoping anyways! I think I've finally just accepted I probably will always miss it and think about it. That is what drove me crazy the other times was I kept expecting to stop wanting and thinking about them and essentially it drove me back to smoking. Anyways, just wanted to say my congrats! We all can do it!!!
Old 06-30-2010, 06:44 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

oh wow - the $16 a pack is crazy Ozboy..
JMF - thanks for the support! I hear you on wishing that money was going toward something more glamorous than existing .. but it will some day in the future!!!
Bazel - I appreciate your post - the acceptance of missing it, likely til the end of time, BUT that being no reason to pick up again (to only get trapped in that addiction cycle once more...)

Today is one week for me - yesterday was really difficult as far as wanting to smoke for some reason - but I am just riding the wave - acknowledging that it sucks and moving along....

Great job everyone!! It really helps to have support here.
Old 07-01-2010, 11:26 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

...21 days and $336.....richer!!! Ozy..
Old 07-01-2010, 11:52 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

$16 a pack is just flat out crazy! amazing to even thing about them costing that much.

Today is 9 days smoke free for me...and about $55 saved.

Steve
Old 07-02-2010, 05:33 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Morning non-smokers!!! I don't really have cravings, but there is kind of a void. I am giving myself a two week pity party grace period to be sad and eat as many pints of Ben and Jerry's ice cream as I want (2 down)..

I did some research on line of the timetable of what people have experienced at when in their quitting - I am really looking forward to the 90 mark which "they" say when a new habit (in this case a good one) really becomes ingrained.

Thanks for the check in OZ and DW - you guys are gonna be rich!! You can just put all that saved money in an an investment account that yields 8% and there is your retirement nest egg - which you will actually be around and healthy for!!! Congrats!

Off for a jog - which should really be incentive to curb my enthusiasm for ice cream LOL

Have a great day!

Pork
Old 07-02-2010, 09:38 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Well the jog offsets the ice cream so it's a pushHey ice cream is much better for ya than smokes so nothing wrong with filling the void with some comfort food.

I'm pretty surprised that I haven't had any what I would call real "cravings/urges" since the first day or two. These past couple days have been really easy, almost too easy lol. I'm just hoping it's because I finally am done with them this time.

porkchop have you see this site here yet WhyQuit - the Internet's leading cold turkey quit smoking resource I found that the other day and read quite a bit of it and I'll tell ya what, reading some of the stories of the people that died in their 30's really gets ya thinking. That's been enough to curb my urges so far for sure.

Steve
Old 07-03-2010, 02:11 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

DW!! I am the same on the feeling that I am soo done with the smokes!! I am starting to feel more optimistic. Thanks for the link - ironically a friend of mine sent it yesterday and I read the stories of the two smokers who died in their thirties... sobering for sure, and the family of the guy smoking after his open casket funeral??? wow, addiction is tragic. The fact that they are so entrenched that that they cannot use a death like his as a catalyst to stop.... I have to say that if I wasn't "ready" I probably could have brushed it off too.. I have for years. SAD.

I am back on track with eating healthy and exercising - feeling super - if I am guilty of anything, it is having a terrifying amount of excess energy!!! But cannot complain about getting a work out in before 6AM right??

Keep up the good work Steve, thanks for checking in and keeping up the positive motivation - it helps!

Pork
Old 07-04-2010, 06:55 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

porkchop have you see this site here yet WhyQuit - the Internet's leading cold turkey quit smoking resource
..yep..it's a great site...i'm 24 days...'cold turkey'....
Old 07-04-2010, 07:47 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

That's great OZ, feels good to be able to say 24 days too doesn't it

I'm half that myself now, will be 12 days for me in the morning.

Steve