Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

I think my wife enjoyed the drama of being married to a binge drinker

Notices

Old 06-18-2010, 01:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'll be celebrating 6 months in recovery in a couple of weeks. I am very pleased with all the progress I've made. But I think my wife might prefer being married to a binging drunk. It gave her something to complain about and now that it's behind us, she nags and nitpicks me about the most miniscule things like never before (she knows that a lot of my drinking was stress related). Lately I've been thinking about drinking here and there and I haven't since my first month it recovery. I can't let her need to create drama where none exists break me, but not sure how I can address this with her without it creating the drama she seems to be craving lately. Has anyone else experienced this?
Old 06-18-2010, 02:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Is it possible that she is having a tough time for whatever reason? I mean, ifyou have been 6 month sober perhaps she feels like she can finally have a bad time herself.
I do not want to be harsh but I am thinking a lot of this alcoholism addiction and the selfishness of it -by the way, thanks Melissa for asking and intention for giving the BB reference.
I am discovering that many of us believe that our addiction is a global addiction. Nothing but alcohol exists, which may be truth for the alcoholic but not for the rest. I have no doubts some partners have problems dealing with such a big change - Falling in love with the drinker is different than leaving with the recovering, self-seeking soul mate. But from your post it is not clear that your wife is trying to make you drink. It looks more like she has forgotten for a while that you should be supported constantly.
Old 06-18-2010, 03:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

People seemed nit picky to me too at times - it may have been because I never noticed before being drunk, or it may have been, as Wilde suggests, they were going through changes to readjusting to the sober me.

Do you really think your wife lives to nag ChiCubs?
D
Old 06-19-2010, 07:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Toro Solo

I'm different when I'm sober. My wife (who drinks) is forced to live with someone who is not quite the same person as the one who drinks. I'd like to think that I'm a better person, but I'm also a person who doesn't open a bottle every night when he gets home making it ready available, doesn't feel like going over to so and so's to hang out (drink), wants to go home shortly after dinner with friends instead of sitting around drinking etc...
I can also be a little self-riotous, a little boring and I'm sure a few other things that are not what she's used to.
All said, this is a change for both of us.
Something to think about.
Day 27