Notices

6 days today agitated yesterday and itchy all over why?

Old 06-17-2010, 10:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

6 days today agitated yesterday and itchy all over why?

Well I am glad 6 days today. Yesterday I wanted wine a bit but not a big craving. I just felt on edge all day and then started itching all over don't know why? Today feel good and happier everyday just a bit scared because friends are inviting me to their house for cocktails and we are going to se my relatives in england end of july. Luckily my cousin and her husband don't drink much but they will bring me to their pub. Is there a non alcohol wine in england? If not I suppose club soda will be good. I want to thank eveyone for their advise about calling my parents I called today and things were fine. I told them about this site and they are SO happy. My husband noticed yesterday he said " what are you trying to quit or something" i said yes he said well you can have some every once in a while. I said no I don't think I can in fact I can't. Day by day but still scared.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

you might want to try some benydril tonight for the itching relief.

going to a friend's house for *cocktails* might be harder than it sounds the first week....bring your own beverage of choice with you and a rehearsed statement to decline a drink..say it in front of the mirror....ask your husband to support your choice not to drink.

I bring flavored teabags with me when I go to friend's houses or my own seltzer asking for a splash of fruit juice....I still drink it out of a wine glass.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Itchiness is a symptom of Cirrhosis:

Symptoms of Liver Cirrhosis:
People with cirrhosis often have few symptoms at first. The two major problems that eventually cause symptoms are loss of functioning liver cells and distortion of the liver caused by scarring. The person may experience fatigue, weakness, and exhaustion. Loss of appetite is usual, often with nausea and weight loss.

In the later stages of cirrhosis, jaundice may occur, caused by the buildup of bile pigment that is passed by the liver into the intestine. Some people with cirrhosis experience itching due to bile products that are deposited in the skin. Gallstones often form in persons with cirrhosis because not enough bile reaches the gallbladder.

Later stages may develop fluid retention in the abdomen which may be complicated by infections.
Full article: Liver Cirrhosis - Symptoms, Treatment and Prevention

I advise that you go see your Dr.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Heathen

My doc also warned me of itching re: liver issues.

Please see your doc.

ETA: I'm so happy you called your folks!

I had to decline a lot of invites, still do.. to protect my sobriety.
Old 06-17-2010, 02:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Jeez, dgillz, thank you so much for posting that. I had no idea. Really useful info.

GG
Old 06-17-2010, 04:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I've seen other posts where people describe itching (or tingling) after quitting alcohol. You would probably do best to talk to a doctor, but don't jump to any conclusions, OK?
Old 06-19-2010, 07:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Artsoul I didn't jump to any conclusions. I jumped to a doctor. I actually already had an app for H.R.T (hormone replacement therapy) doc said that itching is just one sign of peri menapause. I am 49. I have my h.r.t in tact and whew n_o more itching
Old 06-19-2010, 07:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I had horrible itching when I first quit drinking. The best thing you can do is see a doctor. The worst thing you can do is scratch! I did have to put cream on the itchy patches at night so that I could sleep. I also supplemented my diet with a multivitamin and ate "liver friendly foods" like dark greens. Over time it went away.
Old 06-19-2010, 07:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

Alcohol free wine still contains some alcohol, I believe, so I suggest you avoid it altogether.

Pubs sell plenty of drinks which don't contain alcohol like mineral waters, fruit juices, soft drinks like Coke & lemonade, tea, coffee.

If you really don't feel comfortable going into a pub, then why not suggest going somewhere else.