Notices

What keeps you motivated?

Old 06-12-2010, 11:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What keeps you motivated?

I'm 25 and I am determined to have a full and happy life and my dream is to one day to go to Law School (I have a B.A. In Political Science)--these two things help me stay motivated. What about ya'll (sorry I'm a Southern gal )?
Old 06-12-2010, 12:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Gallery!
What a great post. What keeps me motivated? Well, once I researched about my health online there was no going back. I fell off a few times but once that new knowledge about what organs do what and where they're located, all of a sudden every ache and pain had a new meaning to me. That is my motivation #1

2. Losing weight. I've got a whole closet full of clothes that I don't fit into anymore. I gained 30 lbs from drinking. I bought one pair of big baggy dumpy pants that I wear everyday because I refuse to buy new, big ones. Lost 10 lbs so far!

3. My face/eyes. I want to wear contact lenses again. My eyes have looked tired for two years. I want those to go back.

4. My future (like you!). A million things. I would like to live to 70-80, who knows? I have a lot of dreams, some big, some small. When I was binging every night, feeling like h*ll everyday, they all seemed impossible. Now they seem possible/within reach. If I keep up my sobriety.

*I want to buy a 2012 Volkswagen Golf* (lifelong dream)
*Live with a view of the California beach
*Go back to Europe for a second time.
*Live to see a female president
*See Madonna in concert
Old 06-12-2010, 12:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Forgot a few:

Waking up and feeling good.

Waking up and not feeling bad

I don't have to worry about [B]public humiliation[B] whether on facebook or in front of friends. (sobbing, yelling, cussing, falling, flirting.....) No more!
Old 06-12-2010, 01:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Finding a career, the gym, and my wonderful lady.

Oh yeah, and being able to function on a daily basis haha
Old 06-12-2010, 02:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

when I think back on all the rotten times I had drinking and all the stupid things i did drunk,and see how good life is today,I get motivated and grateful
Old 06-12-2010, 02:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

what Melinda and Programmer said almost verbatum...

I no longer dread looking in the mirror in the AM, my face is less bloated, my eyes are clear..I have more energy, i sleep like a real person, deeply and wake up refreshed. I like the morning and I can go so much farther and accomplish so much more when I'm sober...I am now exercsing and walking my dog in the morning....I no longer eat as much garbage food, high in fat, sodium, sugar...i am paying attention to my diet and it shows....I hope to get back in my nice clothes too.

My depression is no longer a constant battle...life is far from perfect but I am making the most of what I've got....I don't want to go back to that dark place where I hid and did nothing but drink and feel hopeless.
Old 06-12-2010, 02:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I find this post very helpful and motivating.. thanks!!
Old 06-12-2010, 03:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My recovery keeps me motivated and grateful to be a sober recovering alcoholic.

I guess that I know that taking a drink would ultimately lead to prison, institutions or death. I know I wouldn't be happy at any of those. There is only blackout drinking and all of the destruction and calamity that brings with it for me. I am an alcoholic who doesn't stop and can't stop untill I am passed out. Then will drink as soon as I wake untill I am so bed-ridden that I can't move to buy more booze and drugs.

I don't wish to lose everything that I have built back up in my 11+ motnhs sober. I know taking a drink would guarantee that with absolute certainty.

I now have hope and optimism in my life. Taking a drink would take all of that hope away instantly. I like having hope in my life and I hated drinking away the hopelessness I used to feel. It only worked briefly and I woke up feeling even more hopeless and broken.

Also I truly want to be happy. I felt so utterly low and hopeless that I really don't want to ever go back there again.
Old 06-12-2010, 03:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

the first few days of coming here I started a thread called "Physical Vanity"...for motivation and to help me stop feeling so cr**py.....we calculated the empty wine calories I was consuming by drinking 8-10 glasses per day, every day.

a conservative estimate was 1500-2000 extra empty calories per day....that's THOUSAND....PER DAY....and then there is the $$$ spent on wine...about $40.00 a week for home consumption....or about $160....$200. per MONTH....that is the cost of my gas & electric bill, or my cable/landphone/internet service.

I pat myself on the back for saving $$ by staying sober and treat myself to something enjoyable like a pedicure and some good quality coffee and ice cream....and still lose weight too.
Old 06-12-2010, 03:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

MelindaFlowers: Going back to Europe is definitely one of mine too! My mom and I went on 2 week tour of Europe and it was one of the most amazing things of my life!
Old 06-12-2010, 03:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Fandy: Thinking about what we can use all that money we use to spend on drugs or booze on now is an awesome idea. Manicures and pedicures for the gals ( or guys--I got my husband to get one one time haha), clothes, better health care, getting out of debt is a big one for me!
Old 06-12-2010, 04:08 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

put it down on paper how much $$$ you spent on alcohol...calculate it out per week, month, etc.

it is amazing what you will save....that is also very motivating for me and also cuts down on anxiety....I think many of us think of how more $$$ would make life a little easier...well this is a double bonus...Health and more wealth.
Old 06-12-2010, 04:08 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

One of the things that keeps me motivated to stay sober is the terrible risks I'm avoiding by not drinking. The other thing, and it's a biggie, is taking so much better care of my dogs. Both have special needs and now that I'm awake and aware I'm better able to watch out for them and notice anything unusual or unhealthy. Not to mention... I no longer feel a constant self hatred...

Not feeling sick all the time is great motivation too.
Old 06-12-2010, 04:17 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I can honestly say since stopping drinking,ive never had so much spark an energy..
as ive said already, there just aint enough hours in the day...like a person posessed to get done things i only pipe dreamed about..whilst in and out of drunken/hungover lulls.., i want to make up for lost time i guess, not to mention..summer here,
and much outdoor activitys to be doing...plus with past drinking habits, over the years managed to pile up a heap of debt...big motivation..to erase this..and get back into the green...££££££ keep the wolves from the door, and actually start a little Biz, which
am currently working on...and very inspired by...a new buzz for sure, enjoying this sober ride oh yes...and have no intention of giving it up..for the dark days of old... take that sucker...And dont darken my doorstep again...Tea and coffee...are the new wine an beer...i finally get it.
Old 06-12-2010, 04:43 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

I like who I am and what my life is now

D
Old 06-12-2010, 04:48 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Living
Old 06-12-2010, 04:51 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fandy View Post
put it down on paper how much $$$ you spent on alcohol...calculate it out per week, month, etc.

it is amazing what you will save....that is also very motivating for me and also cuts down on anxiety....I think many of us think of how more $$$ would make life a little easier...well this is a double bonus...Health and more wealth.
I spent about $6 a day on booze for five years. 6 X 365 = $10,***.
Old 06-12-2010, 05:13 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

This is a big one for me. Tonight I feel strong urges to use. I know that if I do something exhausting or distract myself I can get through.

But it does just feel like I will have to spend my life running from my addiction, and sometimes that is hard.

When I have work or some appointment the next day it is easy to find the motivation. But when I can "get away with it." I have a hard time finding motivation as well.
Old 06-12-2010, 05:22 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

not dying a gross & humiliating death to liver failure and/or not having a huge scar on my abdomen due to a liver transplant keeping me motivated
Old 06-12-2010, 05:32 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back miamifella
I hope you find a way to stop running someday.

D