Notices

Eh im having some issues... maybe I can get some good advice?

Old 06-12-2010, 07:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Eh im having some issues... maybe I can get some good advice?

Hi my name is Dustin, im 20 years old and I am new to this forum site obviously. I have Asperger's syndrome and some depressive issues that go along with having AS, but nothing to horrible. I was a realtively sheltered kid, homeschooled and all. I went away to college two years ago, met some good friends. One of these friends changed and I guess drew me into doing drugs and all. So I began smoking weed to a daily extent, and drinking at least 3 times a week. My grades were A, B and they fell down to B C and then an F. I came back home for the summer, my mom thought I was changing but I just keep smoking and drinking and I also took ROBO DXM pills and was trying to take shrooms and LSD, along with a limited amount of painpills, but I am in no way addicted to that. Well I took 60 DXM pills, went driving late at night and got a DUI and got arrested for the first time. Now I can't drive, or go hang out with my pot head friends and obviously am going to have to deal with probation, etc.

My thinking is I still want to drive, I still want to smoke and drink, and it feels unfair to me that I can't.

Any advice?
Old 06-12-2010, 07:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Wxcwman

Well you could do what I did and ignore the big flashing neon signs that told me I wasn't like my friends, and what I was doing was having very different consequences for me than it was for them.

I didn't listen, I did what I wanted to do - and wasted 20 years, ended up a wino...nearly died.

I think there must be easier ways to get the message.
D
Old 06-12-2010, 07:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You are so young and still have plenty of time to find a new direction. It sounds like drinking and doing drugs have taken away something that you want--independence through driving. You have also gone from getting good grades to failing. Take it from someone who is about to embark on college in her late mid 30s: School is easier when you are young and it can be your only responsibility. Don't waste anymore time being wasted.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

Dustin,you can drive,drink,and smoke pot if you want too bad enough.There is a price to be paid if you get caught ,Dustin,are you ready to pay that price?
It could be a high price,maybe your freedom or your life or someone innocent if you drive under the influence.
You ready to pay that price for a high?Is it really worth it?
Have your pothead friends came to your rescue or have they forgotten you?
Sounds like they may have forgotten you like mine did me when I was in trouble,and I found out later they really wasn`t my friends because a real friend would not want any of us to do anything that would harm or maybe kill us.There is a difference between a true friend and a drugging associate.
Here you will find true friends who care about your well being.If you don`t keep coming back you will miss it of course.Deal with life straight,it will make you stronger and a better man.You still have your life in front of you,you want this stuff the rest of your life or do you want a better life?The choice is yours Dustin.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Im glad yall made these responses. The main issue im facing is the overwhemling desire to make friends and just be happy. Drugs have not made me happy so far, but they have in some ways. I guess the smart choice is to stop, and ill keep working on doing so.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Is it ok just to pop some DXM though when bored? As it's legal, and I can't drive now. Also its not addictive for the most part? I just am so bored, despite knowing that it is detrimental to the big picture. It's also easier to get away with than marijuana.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think you already know it's not ok.

I've read of some here who have had great problems with DXM, Dustin...just go look in the substance abuse forum for threads like these...

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...addiction.html

And being legal means very little in my opinion - look at how much damage alcohol does?

D
Old 06-12-2010, 09:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Dustin - You are smarter than I was when I was 20 in reaching out for some advice.

Ultimately, the choice is yours - I tend to think that a life of self-respect and self-confidence is ultimately more rewarding and enjoyable than a life in a chemical-induced haze where others' opinion of you is paramount. Getting there might not be easy, but I can promise you that drinks and drugs won't get you there.

I don't know anything about DXM, but I'd rather be bored than on some kind of chemical - maybe it is addictive, maybe not, but I would bet it aint good for ya.

And the "big picture" you're talking about - I assume you mean that vague, hypothetical idea that it could be bad for you someday? Trust me, someday happens a lot faster than you think it will. Life is short enough as it is - make the most of it.

I wish you all the best, Dustin.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Good advice, I thank you both. Ill do my best to stay clean and search around this forum more. I have always been a rather big fan of forums.