Notices

Others don't always see the problem ...

Old 06-03-2010, 10:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Others don't always see the problem ...

I was out with friends last night at a jam session. As has been the custom, the first order of business was to go and buy beer. I bought soda water and diet coke. As we got rolling, one friend tried several times to get me to have a drink. Even after explaining that I wasn't drinking, he kept insisting that one wouldn't hurt. He eventually stopped and we discussed later in the evening. He was, in the end, supportive, but a bit surprised because he didn't think there was any serious issue. I can see how, at a different stage in my life, I might be taken in by his reasoning - i.e., if he didn't see an issue, maybe I was overthinking the problem. Fortunately, I am comfortable enough to know that I do have an issue and that it doesn't matter who sees it or not.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Fantastic! So glad to read that you skipped the booze. I had read another thread of yours where you talked about an event where it may be appropriate to drink alcohol and I was wondering if you had a drink or not. Happy to read that you stayed sober!
Old 06-03-2010, 10:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks. I should clarify what I meant by "appropriate". I just meant the expected thing to do, the normal "one of the crowd" thing where others wouldn't judge the drinking. I am becoming more convinced that the answer just has to be no.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I remember that when I first quit drinking, my friends were thrilled as they thought that I definitely had a problem. As time went on, it was hard for some to understand that I could never drink again. I think people expect that after some time away, we can go back to it and moderate. Unfortunately, it doesn't work like that for most.

It is kind of sad that in most social situations the normal thing to do is to drink. With my social group, literally everything was an occasion to drink. I mean everything. Most of my friends are pretty heavy drinkers. I bet you had just as much fun without the alcohol. I bet you woke up feeling pretty good!
Old 06-03-2010, 11:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sometimes it is hard for others to understand but I agree with you on that....I know what I am and what I need to do. Take it or leave it. That simple.

Way to go!!!
Old 06-03-2010, 11:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by NoHo View Post
I should clarify what I meant by "appropriate". I just meant the expected thing to do, the normal "one of the crowd" thing where others wouldn't judge the drinking. I am becoming more convinced that the answer just has to be no.
Yay!!!

One of the most important things I have learned here, is that we share this 'journey'. And, I don't just mean those of us here on SR, I mean all of mankind. We are all on a journey through our lifetimes. But, it is our OWN journey, no one else's. And, no one else knows what is best for us.