Notices

Question on exercise while detoxing

Old 06-03-2010, 08:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question on exercise while detoxing

My anxiety is nuts- as i mentioned earlier. Usually exercise (aerobic- like a stationary bike or treadmill) really knocks this out. I am in pretty good shape (exercised 1hr every day before quitting this week) except the alcohol, so maybe will try it.
Thought someone else may have tried it.
Thanks
Dub
Old 06-03-2010, 08:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

Hi Dub,

You are mal-nourished right now and your body is under huge stress with the withdrawal from alcohol so please be careful. You are not in a "fit" state to take on your normal workout.

How about a brisk walk in the fresh air with the dogs?
Old 06-03-2010, 08:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by intention View Post
Hi Dub,

You are mal-nourished right now and your body is under huge stress with the withdrawal from alcohol so please be careful. You are not in a "fit" state to take on your normal workout.

How about a brisk walk in the fresh air with the dogs?
Not a bad idea! Think I will,
thanks
Dub
Old 06-03-2010, 09:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Awesome to hear that you are doing this Dub. I've been following many of your posts and just lurked but I just wanted to say congrats on just going this far. As far as the exercise thing goes, I'm a workout junkie. It is probably because it is the only socially accepted thing to get high off of and in most cases, is healthy for me. When I was detoxing, I really wanted to hurry up and get in the gym because I knew that it would make me feel good and plus, I was already thinking ahead. Like the other person said, take it easy. It seems like you have dogs so go take them out for a walk. That should be a great start.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Heathen

The treadmill was (and is) my best friend when combating any anxiety I was feeling after I got sober.. now I just do it cuz it feels great
Old 06-03-2010, 11:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

a tip i followed from deepak chopras overcoming addictions-the spiritual solution book was to exercise every day in early recovery but to do so just until the point that i began feeling tired, not beyond, and not a normal hard workout. i did this, and it worked wonderfully. i felt much better but it was steady, no swings in soreness or fatigue, and being able to something every day helped with routine and emotional stability in that i got the endorphine rush and sense of accomplishment and relaxation daily instead going hard 4-5 days out of the week then feeling spent.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

i'll add that my form of exercise during this period was either eliptical machine or stationary bike. with some rounds of disc golf thrown in 4-5 times a week. but that's just walking really.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I agree that if the weather is good a nice walk with the dogs even if you go a little slower, fresh air and some deep breathing (unless your pollen count is high like here). maybe tomorrow or as you feel stronger you can add on with some wt.bearing sets too. but if you've been barfing, you're dehydrated and weaker than you think, so take it easy.

PS>>>>>3 months into sobriety i now have a little dog I adopted, we go for a walk 2X a day, i am really enjoying it as much as he does!
Old 06-03-2010, 11:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I went for a 3 mile walk when I was detoxing. It wasn't very strenuous, but I worked up a little sweat and felt better afterward. Best wishes.