Notices

Update: 28 yr old first post a few days ago.

Old 05-15-2010, 12:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Update: 28 yr old first post a few days ago.

Hello everybody,
Thank you for all of your supportive greetings and encouragement on my first posts. I am on here to give my update:

After 4 years of drinking 1/2-3/4 fifth of vodka every night I am on my fourth day of sobriety. It has been more difficult to get to sleep. It's amazing, new, and strange to lay in bed with my own thoughts. I wake up with a groan and think I feel like hell until I remember: I didn't drink anything last night. Then I get up, drink a glass of water like any normal person and get on with my day. I feel great during the day. No headache. No dehydration. No regrets. I have also lost about five pounds which makes me very happy. The other day I had a staff meeting at 7:30 am. I was up until about 2 am the night before, frustrated that I couldn't sleep. When I woke up, even with only four hours of sleep, I felt fine. Better than I would have with 8 hours and 8 drinks. Amazing.

I can barely remember the last time I was not hung over in the morning. It's a wonderful new experience to wake up and feel good. I've read other people's posts about the feeling of "returning to the human race" and I can definitely relate to that. I work at a school and one of my bottoms was early in the morning at work. A parent that I really like came to talk to me. As we spoke I knew that my eyes were puffy, bloodshot, and my coloring was probably terrible. I was so embarrassed.

Last thing: The evenings are my only tempting time. What I've learned is that if you want it for yourself. Nothing can stop you. I watched 20/20 last night at 9pm sober. Reminds me of when I watched it years ago. I am starting to feel like my old self.

If your new to quitting just focus on how freakin' great you feel!!!!
Old 05-15-2010, 01:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Keep it up I have 21 days today and finally I feel like a human being again!
Old 05-15-2010, 01:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Great post Archives! Everything you've said I can relate to. And it really took me by surprise, too. I wasn't even thinking about feeling good or sane again - I just knew I couldn't deal with the hell I was going through.
When I woke up, even with only four hours of sleep, I felt fine. Better than I would have with 8 hours and 8 drinks. Amazing.
Exactly. I hope we never forget how grateful we are today.

Congratulations on your newfound sobriety!!
Old 05-15-2010, 01:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

Archives, it struck a chord with me when you said, "I am starting to feel like my old self." That's exactly how I felt my first couple weeks without a drink. I felt like that 17-year-old kid that had energy, liked to cut up and laugh and have fun, cared about other people...It was like I had been lost and I found myself.

I still have that feeling; just sucks that I missed about 12 years of my life. But I'm thankful that we have reached this point at such a young age, and hopefully won't have to miss out on much more of what life has to offer.

Keep up the good work!
Old 05-15-2010, 01:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

(((Archives))) Congratulations on your 4th day!!

I found that, not only did I relish getting my "old life" back, I had a tremendous appreciation for my "new life". I took a lot of things for granted, and today, I try not to do that. I'll admit, it took a while in recovery to GET that feeling, but darned if it isn't an awesome feeling once you get it

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 05-15-2010, 01:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Loved reading your post & thanks for the share

I totally get where you are coming from, I am about to go mountain biking for a while & then hit the beach and do some reading (recovery related too ;-).

Much better then my old morning routine of lying around all day hungover as hell & thinking about how I am going to get the next drink to cure the hair of the dog. Complete madness!

Keep working at it & keep sharing
Old 05-15-2010, 02:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Scars,Souvineers we never lose

This is great you guys!!! Look at all of the love and gratitude here on SR today...its here everyday, but I just noticed that today especially is an extra special day her eon SR, or maybe its just me on my day 7, b/c I feel exactley like you all do to .
I feel great! Sober! Grateful! Energetic! Above all maybe happy & Content! No depression at all. Getting sober has cured the depression that was getting really , really bad for me and I was never a depressed or unhappy person before but my family and husband especially were beginning to get affected by it so much b.c it broke his heart to see me that way and to not even know who his wife had turned into. It also really did affect my daughter toom she started acting like i was when I was either drinking or hungover, she began acting out really badly around myself and husband then is an angel at day care and when we had our friends mom watch her she was a totally diffrent kid. That husrt me and lead me to drink more, b.c I couldnt understand the difference in the way she acted between her caretakers and her very own parents. But that is subsiding now she 3 and 1/2 so she is def. still pressing out buttons and testing her limits to see what she can get away with but she no onger is learning that from me
Thank you all and EVERYONE keep up the GREAT work.... Thank you so very much!!!!
<3 Dream
Old 05-15-2010, 03:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for the update Archives! great stuff

D
Old 05-15-2010, 10:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Good job on the 4th day and good luck from here on in.

Currently in my first week also, and the funny thing is I watched 20/20 sober last night as well. Haha.