Notices

New warrior

Old 05-08-2010, 11:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New warrior

Hi All,

Im really glad I found this site.

Im a 40 year old woman, wife, mother and alcoholic among other things.

I began drinking problematically a long number of years ago. It got progressivly worse and worse untill I was opening bottles of wine on weekend mornings. Its a sad and scary place to sit in your sofa at 8am with a glass of wine for breakfast. I tried numerous ways to stop but I wont bore anyone with the details. About 12 weeks ago after yet another relapse(this one after a 2 and a half year stint of sobriety) I thrawled through the internet to try and find something, anything to help. I came accross information on The Sinclair Method and to say it saved my life would be an understatement. I ordered my naltraxone and started. It hasnt been a straight path BUT I have decreased my drinking to an average of 15 to 20 UK units a week. I can finally see a life ahead of me that will not be dictated by my cravings for alcohol. Nal provides the switch off button that I never seemed to be born with.

My husband the long suffering guy at my side for the lst 18 years is walking on air. For the first time in years he came home the other night with a bottle of wine for me. It almost made me cry, it was a sight I hadnt seen in years and never thought Id see again.

Please ignore this if this method is of no interest to you, but if anyone wants any further info please have a look at the sinclairmethodforum or pm me and I will do anything I can to answer any questiond.

Mario
Old 05-08-2010, 11:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Mario. The same thing happened to me - over time, my tolerance was huge. I was drinking round the clock when I found SR. I no longer had any control once the first drink hit my bloodstream.

I haven't heard about the Sinclair Method. I once would've tried anything to keep being able to drink, but after the battle I had to get off it - I'd be afraid to let it back into my life again.
Old 05-08-2010, 11:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Had to smile at your husband bringing home a bottle of wine for his alcoholic partner and your reaction...mine would be a little different, they would follow the bottle of wine out of the first floor window...followed swiftly by an amend;-)
Old 05-08-2010, 11:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I'm glad you (and I) found this site, too. I had to try alot of controlled drinking before I decided it wasn't going to work. Now I'm SO glad to be moving on. I wish I had a printout of my thoughts while drinking - it really took an amazing amount of energy/time. I would be amazed if anyone with any kind of problem drinking could find a way to drink with no consequences. All the best to you!
Old 05-08-2010, 11:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

Interesting method... If I had the time and resources I may, have been inclined to give it a try. That being said, it seems to mess with your body chemestry alot and may be appropriate only for special cases IMHO. Please keep us posted as you progress. Also, where are you? My understanding is that this treatment is more common in Europe.

The Method Involves... (sounds like Chantix for Booz)
" the use of opiate antagonists such as naltrexone or nalmefene while continuing normal drinking habits in order to decrease the craving for alcohol over time. It relies upon a mechanism called pharmacological extinction, which works by blocking the positive reinforcement effects of ethanol-triggered endorphin in the brain".

Off hand the idea of messing with with opiates seems as if It could become an issue for some, unless done in a very very controlled environmennt.

Last edited by ElegantlyWasted; 05-08-2010 at 11:52 AM. Reason: iPhone typos
Old 05-08-2010, 12:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR! I don't know anything about the Sinclair method, but I do know that I tried 'controlled' drinking too many times and always failed to 'control' it. For me it's just best to not drink at all. I wish you success and a peaceful life.
Old 05-08-2010, 01:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Alcoholics cannot control their drinking.

If they could, none of us would be here.

I wish you well!
Old 05-08-2010, 01:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
6/20/08

If my husband brought me home a bottle of wine....I'd pour it on him.

I am glad your method is working for you.
Old 05-08-2010, 01:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

If you're only going to have a glass of wine, what is the point of drinking in the first place? I see why people who aren't alcoholics do it, but for us is it really worth the risk, or the torment?
Do you not see something strange in that you're medicating yourself so that you can drink some 'precious' alcohol?

But hey, different strokes for different folks. Good luck all the same!