Notices

You have to look for . . . . .

Old 04-21-2010, 01:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

You have to look for . . . . .

I am an eclectic reader, a trait that has stayed with me since I was a small boy, took out my first library book, read it and returned it the same day, only to be told I wasn't allowedto return it until the next day, I burst into tears.

One of the authors I have enjoyed both in my drinking days and after is Paulo Coello, a very spiritual man, he feels that you should always look for signs that often appear in the strangest places but you have to be ever vigilant, something we are all well aware of and look for them.

It is then perhaps no coincidence today whilstengrossed in a crime thriller that I came across the following saying,"What the crysalis calls the end of the world, God calls a butterfly," Chiang Tzu, a T'ai Chai Master and ancient Chinese philosopher.

How much then does this relect not just my own but all those who attain sobriety for however long, to me this is a sign or saying worth cherishing. MikeW.
Old 04-24-2010, 04:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
No pity. No remorse. No fear

MikeW, I read widely too; military, history, autobiographies, religion, philosophy, sci-fi, horror and fantasy (LOVE Terry Pratchett!) Lately got got back into Warhammer 40,00 novels (not literature as such, but is IS pure escapism) and came across this in Grey Knights by Ben Counter: "The fight would never be over, but sometimes, it could be won." It's the last sentence in the book, and I identified it with my ongoing fight against booze. And I WILL win!
Old 04-24-2010, 11:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The fight . . . .

Thank you for your response to my thread, I had, what I've come to believe was a ,'spiritual experience' on the 15th Feb.,2008 when my alcoholism was removed from me when alone and unaided by human hand. Since that time and in line with the content of your response, my fight has gone on in making spiritual progress primarily through learning and practising Buddhist princioles, it is really hard to be a ,'human being' which is the 2nd highest state in the Realm of the Spirit, I'm sure you can guess what the highest is, so you are right and if it works for you, wonderful, nice to hear from you,Mike W.
Ps. That guy in your avatar, is he your neighbour?
Old 04-29-2010, 11:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Books give you good company....No Complains No Demands.
Old 04-30-2010, 06:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Books often relect the reader.

Quite right, I think it was Proust who said that in reading books often act as a mirror, reflecting the reader's mind, it was something like that I haven't just got the actual quote to hand.

It's certainly true of thos who read the literature published by A.A.
Old 04-30-2010, 11:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Proust.

Addendum. - Iremember it now Proust said that whatever a person was reading often acted as a mirror, relecting the readers state of mind.M.