Notices

Hungry?

Old 04-04-2010, 11:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hungry?

I'm just entering day 5. Starting to feel much stronger and clearer mentally. Feeling better physically too, as what were either real or imagined bruises and aches subside.

However, I've noticed that I am hungry as ___. Don't know if I'm just wanting more calories to replace alcohol calories and/or mend, or if my brain pleasure centers are trying to reorient to food instead of alcohol. Maybe just looking for distraction. I'm generally a very healthy, nearly-veg eater who doesn't consume a lot, but all I want to do right now is eat.

Is that normal or common for people? Still, I'll take it over the alternative for now, but don't want to get rid of one problem and add another unhealthy one.

Thoughts?
Old 04-05-2010, 12:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey Four,

You hit the nail on the head, perhaps one of the "oldies" can help us here. Actually, I was a bit different. I didn't get hungry till about the 4th day, first days I was off everything... just stuck to keeping myself well hydrated with water and probiotic/mineral supplement. Then, around end day 4 or day 5, boy oh boy did I get the munchies, scoured the house for high fat and sugar. Wanted bread with loads of butter and jam on top (I mean loads as real thick and heavy), ate little chocolate easter eggs like crazy. Whatever I could get my hands on and lots of it, too.

I am already overweight and can't afford this, will leave it for a few more days, so as not to overtax my ability to stay away from the alcohol, but when I get to my brother's on Wednesday, will put myself into his hands and follow his advice... (alcoholic, sober for a number of years, works out, healthy eater type).

I am sure this is just a phase, a replacement for all the sugar in the alcohol, but some confirmation that it will go away would be appreciated.
Old 04-05-2010, 12:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Very common. Alcohol, amongst other bad things, actually keeps your body from absorbing vitamins and minerals, especially B vitamins. Amongst the most severe alcoholics, malnutrition is common, even if they eat a healthy diet.

I have read that once freed from alcohol, the body wants food, not unlike a pregnant woman will crave foods - in many cases foods she has either never eaten or never liked. I know this was the case with me. I suspect your appetite will level out over time, I know mine did.
Old 04-05-2010, 12:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Haha, LifeIs. Sounds like we're in the same boat. Don't go suggesting those little chocolate eggs though ("Curses, you eggs!", he says, fists shaking).

Thanks, dgillz, never knew that about the b-vitamins and nutrients. Of course, also not really excited to conjure up the image of me having pregnancy cravings. That's just creepy on several levels. :-)
Old 04-05-2010, 01:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well my biggest fear right now is when I land in the US on Wednesday... ya know I have this little thing about jelly belly, jelly beans... even as an alkie I could eat a whole bag of them. I can't get them here, so am safe.... I will have to be extra strong to stay away from those pure bits of sugar!

Thanks, Dgillz, if you say it will level out, I believe ya.... now if you could give me an _exact_ date when that will happen, I would be much obliged!

Well, I got over the munchies from quitting smoking (14 January 2010) yea! Am sure that I can get over these, too. But better to be a fatty sober person, than a fatty drunk, right!

Hey Four, let's be strong, when I reach for that butter, I will think of you and what I would say to you if you were reaching for it.... maybe that will help.
Old 04-05-2010, 01:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Ha, thanks LifeIs. Deal. I'll do the same.
Old 04-05-2010, 01:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

4/01 !!!

So that is what it means, I thought maybe you were a golf fanatic or something.... ha-ha, not that I know anything about golf. Great name!
Old 04-05-2010, 02:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well it took me about 3 weeks for my appetite to level out, but that's just me.