Notices

Celebrity anonymity

Old 02-28-2010, 01:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Celebrity anonymity

Is anybody else as disconcerted over the many celebrities that break their anonymity publicly as I am? Another recent one has caught my attention.

I'm of the opinion that they, no matter who they are, have no right to step up and be the defacto face of AA. Lets face it, by breaking their anonymity, usually for trivial reasons, they show that they just don't work a program I'd ever envy. On the dark side some of them have a habit, as alcoholics do, of sticking their foot in their mouth publicly and that's not the public impression I'd like to leave of AA at all.
Old 02-28-2010, 01:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Which, of course, is the reason for the traditions as pertains to anonymity.

However, I don't feel that it's wrong for a celebrity to reveal that they have recovered from alcoholism or addiction, as long as they don't mention AA. Some of them are role models for me, whether they be musicians or in the same occupation or whatever....

Just as long as they don't try to represent AA.

Mark
Old 02-28-2010, 04:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have a question concerning who it is that's announcing that they're in AA. I've heard many mention they are alcoholic but never said they were in AA. They may mention a 12 step program which might lead someone to think they're talking about AA but there are many other 12 step programs out there too. I know Glen Beck has mentioned things about his past but never said anything about AA. BC, did you have a certain personality in mind that's been announcing AA?
Old 02-28-2010, 04:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Not a new problem. I actually pity anyone who uses their AA membership in such a manner. What is worse is how we put them on pedestals in AA. I had the chance to attend some meetings in Soho and I didn't know what was more vile- the celebs acting like they were great because they were doing what they were supposed to be doing ( not drinking) or the star struck AA members in the room
Old 02-28-2010, 05:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I wish there was so much concern for every tradition. Seems that we disregard all of them with the exception of #4 which says we can do whatever we want. By God we'll never break our anonymity though.
Traditions are an all or nothing deal for me.
#1 Personal Recovery Depends on AA unity. So says thegroup that reads from Hazelden
#2 A loving God as we understand him. Talk about God and watch the meeting clear out.
#3 Need I say anything more
#4 affecting other Groups as a Whole. I've been to meetings that I wanted to call in an airstrike after I left. That's 100% of a newcomers perception of AA. Therefore, you have affected AA as a whole.
#5 It's message??? Most groups carry the message that says osmosis works. That's our sole purpose as a group too. To carry "its" message. "The" message is a different story.
#6 AA ought never endorse finance or lend. Just send them to us Judge. We need the membership.
#7 Money from outside sources. First addict that sticks a dollar in thebasket violates this. Who cares, we need the money

Need I continue????
Traditions are not "Suggestions" They are what binds AA together. So violate one , all or none.
Anything other than "None" is unacceptable. But why single anonymity?
Sadly it's because its the only one most of us know.
Old 02-28-2010, 05:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

They;ve had this problem since the beginning, really.

I think the primary objective of their 'going public'
is to save their popularity
not to be completely sober.

That alone makes the whole path
a shaded one.

Live and let live, however.

I've got enough over here on my own side of the street.
Old 02-28-2010, 06:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Cool

I would LOVE to go to a Beverly Hills/Hollywood AA meeting on a Saturday night some day! WHO would be there? Ozzy? Charlie? Nick? Courtney?
Old 02-28-2010, 07:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Just my 2 cents but they are people too. If they can help out another celeb just by being open then they have helped someone.

Are we to wear masks next? Attraction rather than promotion. If a celeb can be human maybe some of us with huge egos might be willing...
Old 02-28-2010, 07:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Wink

Originally Posted by BadCompany View Post
Is anybody else as disconcerted over the many celebrities that break their anonymity publicly as I am? Another recent one has caught my attention.

I'm of the opinion that they, no matter who they are, have no right to step up and be the defacto face of AA. Lets face it, by breaking their anonymity, usually for trivial reasons, they show that they just don't work a program I'd ever envy. On the dark side some of them have a habit, as alcoholics do, of sticking their foot in their mouth publicly and that's not the public impression I'd like to leave of AA at all.
celebrity Rehab is An Interesting Show To Watch on VH1 Sometimes.. Never Underestimate The Power of The Affliction of Addiction! "celebrities" are People Too!
Old 02-28-2010, 08:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

After taking this topic as an opportunity to contemplate the long from of this tradition one more time... If I get all worked up over a "celebrity" discussing their AA membership -- if I make extra note of this particular person's behavior (and as a whole, it is we who create the celebrity, not the celebrity themselves) more so then I do about Joe from my regular 8 PM meeting, then who's really breaking with the tradition?

Hypothetical Joe regularly introduces himself at meetings with his full name, and has always been open with friends, family, and associates how he got and stays sober. I don't have any issue with that, as it doesn't negatively effect AA as a whole, and doesn't have much to do with the spiritual significance of the tradition, which is really more about how I see, treat, and relate Joe in relation to the whole and to myself than it is about his public identity.

The Traditions scale up and out. They have to.
Old 02-28-2010, 09:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

While I do to a point agree that celebs act as 'leaders'
(meaning MOSTLY that whatever they do ... the public tries to do it too)

but their ACTIONS in recovery could do their talking.

It's not what they're doing, however.
Because meanwhile, that HUGE PAYCHECK is in jeopardy.
THAT ... is the incentive - not helping others.
I don't care what they say.
lol!

So they have to go all out and ""confess all""
and do whatever ELSE needs doing
TO SAVE THAT INCOME
or they have to get a real job.
not... to get sober.

That ... is NOT a 'good example' and is NOT being a 'leader'.

And also - that ... is why so FEW of them remain sober as well.

The two I hold in great esteem
are Craig Fergusen
and the father fella from Orange County Choppers.
NOT ONCE have they said the name of what they belong to
althought they'll tell you their years' sober
and OCC ... just watch the show -
they're doing the Program ... all over the place.

BUT I mostly love that I watched that show for two seasons
before I knew either was in a Program.

That's what I mean by WALKING your talk.
Old 03-01-2010, 02:23 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

What about AA generated celebs?

Chris R, Joe and Charlie?

Think about it, they are celebrities within our fellowship aren't they? How do we treat them?
Old 03-01-2010, 03:49 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

As trusted servants.
Old 03-01-2010, 05:30 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by navysteve View Post
What about AA generated celebs?

Chris R, Joe and Charlie?

Think about it, they are celebrities within our fellowship aren't they? How do we treat them?
Interesting point, Steve.
Those people sure put a lot of pressure on themselves, don't they?
Old 03-01-2010, 05:32 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

WHAT CELEBRITIES ARE WE TALKING ABOUT HERE?????? I HAVEN'T SEEN ANY EVIDENCE OF CELEBS VERBALIZING "AA" OR "ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS.":wtf2

As far as Joe and Charlie, Joe, Johnny H. or Sandy B, I've never thougth of them as anything other than a drunk with a good message. We, the members of AA tend to give some of these folks more importance than they deserve. Take this Chris R. guy for instance......
Old 03-01-2010, 07:57 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Slightly off topic: I just came across a short blurb on (a famous actress from the 70s), which discussed the actress' alcohol addiction and recovery. There was no mention of AA or other recovery programmes, however, the article included the following info:
"According to the Office of Research on Women's Health, Office of the Director, and the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, in the U.S. fewer women than men drink. However, the same study found that female alcoholics have death rates 50 to 100 percent higher than those of male alcoholics, including deaths from suicides, alcohol-related accidents, heart disease and stroke, and liver cirrhosis."
If accurate, that's a very significant statistic, imo.
Old 03-01-2010, 07:35 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

matt

That sounds about accurate from what I have seen over the years.

AG
Old 03-02-2010, 05:40 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Here's a link to celebrities sharing their ES & H.

www.mediafire.com/sobrietyfirst
Old 03-02-2010, 01:04 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I recently saw Colin Farrell on a British talk show discussing his sobriety. He was endearing, visibly a bit nervous, and sincere; a total 180 from his public image before he got sober. It inspired and encouraged me to know the Beautiful People are not immune and I can relate to any alkie. He never mentioned AA. Craig Ferguson delivered a moving monologue where he mentioned some "people very close to the front of the phone book".

I have no problem with this at all. We know the message a lot of young people get is alcohol=cool, and we tend to want to combat that image with the horrors of alcoholism. How about combating that image with sobriety can be cool too?

Maybe some oldtimers forget that for some of us part of our fear of getting sober was fear of never being fun/hip/cool/included ever again. All it takes is one person you admire "coming out" as sober and demonstrating how great life can be.
Old 03-02-2010, 06:43 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
*Grateful*

I haven't heard anyone celebrity wise say lately they are in AA but one thing that is majorily bugging me is how people are breaking their anonymity on Facebook!!

People get on facebook and join recovery group after recovery group, as well as AA groups and NA groups then send me stuff! That really bugs me cuz I have a lot of friends on there from work, church etc and I do not go around publically telling people I am part of the AA fellowship. So I delete them all and decline their groups.

Anyhoo...sorry to hijack your thread BC.