Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

Does everyone assume that codies have self-confidence issues?

Old 02-19-2010, 09:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

See, I don't think of myself as someone with major issues of self-esteem. I like a lot of the advice I receive and read in these rooms, but I notice a lot of the advice is given under the assumption that the receiver has no or very-low self-esteem.

I can see how spending any length of time with an alcoholic can begin to break down your self-esteem. That was the red flag for me to leave, I was beginning to feel bad about myself. I didn't feel bad about myself going into the relationship. I felt strong and very good about myself. I feel that way now. I feel sad for losing him, but I don't feel like I'm not worth anything.

Seriously though, does self-esteem have that much to do with the codependence issue? It seems like a lot of the women in here have their $hit together, are strong, smart, and self-confident. Maybe it's that self-confidence that makes one feel as though she can "help"?

Just pondering...
Old 02-19-2010, 09:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am a 'rescuer'. I want to save everyone. My 'codie' problem is that I thought I could love him enough to rescue him from his addiction. Wrong!

The only person I should have rescued was myself. You cannot control anyone else's behavior.

Self esteem issues? Sure. You live with someone who abuses and you start to believe their lies. It messes with your head. It's your fault, you did this to me, you don't let me be the man I want to be..blahblahblah.

While I was in that, I started to doubt MY own abilities! Was I a control freak? Was I really making him drink and abuse me?

NO! I realize these were all HIS choices. His addictions, his demons. BUT it's so much easier to make them mine. He didn't have to accept any blame or responsibility if all of his problems were my fault.

Just speaking for myself, but I do believe you cannot live in that environment for any length of time, and not have self esteem issues. They take that away from us to make themselves feel better.

So unfair..addiction sucks
Old 02-19-2010, 09:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Speaking from the other side. When, I was drinking, it was all about me. I'd put a spin on everything to make people that, cared for me believe it was their fault.

You deserve to be treated with respect.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CAPTAINZING2000 View Post
Speaking from the other side. When, I was drinking, it was all about me. I'd put a spin on everything to make people that, cared for me believe it was their fault.

You deserve to be treated with respect.
Did you do that on purpose or what it an automatic survival skill? I mean, did you know you were manipulating them? If you did, did you really understand the impact?

Thanks Captain.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

I was being an @ss when, I was younger. later on when I was married to my ex, I did feel justified over some things. I did abuse alcohol while I was married to her . There was other core issues there. She was trying to figure out her sexuality. Later on after she and I were divorced, she started living with another woman.

Just guessing, she might have felt trapped being married to me and had no respect for me.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

" It seems a lot of the women in here have their $hit together, are strong, smart, and self-confident. Maybe the self-confidence makes them feel as though they can "help"

HUM ? you've described me in a nutshell and pose something for me ponder.

I think because of the dysfunctional in my family of origin ( whose wasn't ? ) my coping mechanism became perfectionism. I excelled in college, career and finances.
But was attracted to some men that had problems and even married
one and had a child with him ( my-ex )
With my abandonment issues I thought no one would leave someone so perfect. The dysfunction an aloofness in a partner felt natural/desirable. Any problems in our lives I easily took perfect care of...except closeness,
Did I try to fix them...no, just noticed how imperfect they were. And ultimately left them.

Luckily, now I have focused on my own imperfections + dysfunction. It took me 'til I was forty to be healthy enough to choose a healthier mate. I am still a work in progress and know that I don't need to be perfect. I must work hard at not expecting perfection from others . I've learned new
coping skills.

Most situations really are about us. The lesson keeps presenting itself until we learn it.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Spiritual Seeker View Post
" It seems a lot of the women in here have their $hit together, are strong, smart, and self-confident. Maybe the self-confidence makes them feel as though they can "help"

HUM ? you've described me in a nutshell and pose something for me ponder.

I think because of the dysfunctional in my family of origin ( whose wasn't ? ) my coping mechanism became perfectionism. I excelled in college, career and finances.
But was attracted to some men that had problems and even married
one and had a child with him ( my-ex )
With my abandonment issues I thought no one would leave someone so perfect. The dysfunction an aloofness in a partner felt natural/desirable. Any problems in our lives I easily took perfect care of...except closeness,
Did I try to fix them...no, just noticed how imperfect they were. And ultimately left them.

Luckily, now I have focused on my own imperfections + dysfunction. It took me 'til I was forty to be healthy enough to choose a healthier mate. I am still a work in progress and know that I don't need to be perfect. I must work hard at not expecting perfection from others . I've learned new
coping skills.

Most situations really are about us. The lesson keeps presenting itself until we learn it.
Wow...that's good stuff.
Old 02-20-2010, 06:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Spiritual Seeker View Post
With my abandonment issues I thought no one would leave someone so perfect.
This is partially true for me, also. But digging deeper I also realize that it was a relief for me to have my X dependent on me. Not because he realized how "perfect" I was and that he would never leave that.... more that he was sooooo dependent on me that he couldn't leave. It wasn't what drew me to my X, but the relationship turned in that direction and it made me feel safer and more secure.... So, while I resented his lack of independence, subconsciously I encouraged it. And, I'm just realizing that it is a pattern for me.....
Old 02-20-2010, 12:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thumbs up pattern

nowinstiuation " realizing that it is a pattern for me..... "

Oh yea !
Just as the drinker has his pattern, I only grow when I figure out my own destructive patterns or patterns that no longer accomplish my goals to
become more enlightened and more loving.

The steps taught me to focus on myself....such a simple idea but one that
took me many experiences to figure out. I must still remind myself daily.
Old 02-20-2010, 01:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by IamSaved View Post
I am a 'rescuer'. I want to save everyone. My 'codie' problem is that I thought I could love him enough to rescue him from his addiction.
yep, me there.

i have moved from that, to saving him from what causes the self-destruction (lack of people loving him, lack of those people staying in his life) and finally, to saying "i can't do much about your core issues, but i can do something about what i will not tolerate anymore."

i also believe - hard as this is to admit - that i have a history of choosing people that i can feel superior to. not that i lord it over, but people can admire me, look up to me, come to me for advise. years ago i had a sort of "breakthrough" when i realized that other people who were highly functional, educated, sophisticated, really do like me and enjoy my company. i am worthy of all kinds of peoples' attentions!

i now have people in my circle of friends from the whole spectrum: homeless, mentally impaired, phd's, clergy, musicians, politicians -- and i love them all.

i have never felt i suffered from low self-esteem. but ya know what? i've come to believe that i must because otherwise i would have had better boundaries in place. so, there is a large barometer for self esteem. i'm probably in the "upper middle class" range. oops, ya know i don't think we should start grading ourselves.

also, there seems to be a difference between knowing in your head that you are a good and valuable person, possessing gifts and worthy of decent love, and really deep down believing it.
Old 02-20-2010, 01:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Self confidence and self-esteem are different.

I do think that anyone who stays in an abusive relationship has self-esteem problems. Healthy people would be out the door immediately or not be involved at all..they would see the red flags.

Also, I think that staying in any of our relationships depletes your self-esteem. No one who really loves and likes themselves would allow someone else to treat them poorly.
Old 02-20-2010, 03:03 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Here here sister...we don't have to allow any one to treat us poorly.
Not a mate, a child, a boss, a neighbor, an employee, etc.
For some it takes a long long time to find their voice or to know
their feet are not made of clay.
Hopefully, we get their soon rather than later.