Notices

I need the newcomer.

Old 02-19-2010, 07:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Retired Pro Drunk

I need the newcomer.

Went to a meeting last night. Not my home group, a meeting where I've been before but don't hit too often.

For whatever reason, I was compelled to sit in with the 1st step group. It was fantastic. Lots of new sobriety. Plenty of folks with a week, 4 days, 2 days, etc. sober.

Just wanted to let folks know (the "newcomers") that I need you - I need you to go to meetings. I need to hear what you have to say. You're helping me stay sober. Thanks.
Old 02-19-2010, 07:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
FREAKING AWESOME!

Totally agree. We sometimes forget where we were when we first walked through those doors and the hope you see in the newcomers eyes after a couple of days is a true miracle at work.
Old 02-19-2010, 07:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
sev
Friend of Bill W.

Thank, Just! You're right. I think so many of us forget that meetings are for newcomers...not to complain about our jobs, wives, kids, or whatever. It's for us to show them how it works and give them hope. It's our opportunity to work with other alcoholics. I have to remind myself of that sometimes.
Old 02-19-2010, 07:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

AA would dry up without the newcommer
Old 02-19-2010, 07:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I love the newcomers!
Old 02-19-2010, 07:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm a newcomer justanothrdrunk... thank you for posting that... i've been having difficulty speaking up... am having a hard day... which you just made better... thank you
Old 02-19-2010, 08:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
sev
Friend of Bill W.

Welcome, MrsEd! You are the most important person in the room! It is hard at first, and you don't have to speak up if you're not ready. What helped me is that I started making coffee. People wanted to talk to me then, even if it was just to complain about the coffee. You'll find that you fit right in. Welcome!
Old 02-19-2010, 08:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

First things first......... Welcome to SR MrsEd.

I do a newcomers meeting every week, they do help me to stay sober. I love seeing the miracle of sobriety happen to them, it reminds me of my early sobriety.

I have heard it said more then once that the newcomer is the life blood of AA, I totally agree, in the BB it says that the best way for one to insure thier own sobriety is by working with another alcoholic to get & stay sober.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tazman53 View Post
in the BB it says that the best way for one to insure thier own sobriety is by working with another alcoholic to get & stay sober.
That's the deal, man. I desperately need that experience ongoing in my life, and what I blessing and gift that experience is.

To anybody that has heard a sponsor say, 'this is helping me more than it is you', believe it. It's true. Then get recovered and sit on the other side of the table and experience that truth for yourself.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You're helping me stay sober. Thanks.
Helping others get/stay sober is of help to my own sobriety, not to mention it serves as a warning to me not to pick up again when seeing what horrible problems newcomers are going thru with drinking/trying to get sober. I need the reminder to keep me from going back to that hell.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:15 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I am the newcomber and I need YOU....your support, advice and experience has given me more in the last 4 days than any doctor has in years.

I am the newcomber and I am scared what will happen when the newness of being sober wears off....or stress or i am looking for that one big excuse....

it's a slippery slope, exciting and scary...but i feel like i have my eyes wide open this time. thanks.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:02 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Nonexistent Willpower

Yes, Tradition 5 says:

"Carry the messsage to the alcoholic/addict who STILL suffers."

But the neatest thing is how it also works so well in reverse.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:07 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
sev
Friend of Bill W.

Welcome, Fandy! We're glad you're here.