Help!

Old 02-18-2010, 10:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Help!

Hi my name is Ricky, in october of 2009 i found out that my best friend (whos like a brother to me) was using EVERYTHING for the past 4 years. He was checked into a rehab for 28 days and got out a few weeks ago. But he is very nasty and angry with me and life. He acts like nobody cares about him and everyone who loves him is against him. Since he has been home he has been extra nasty and angry. He snaps for no reason. He is also very depressed now. I have never been through this before and dont know if it is normal or not. He really is a great person and has a lot of potential to have a successful and happy future, but he seems not to care about anything or anyone. If somebody could help me out here id greatly appreciate it.

Thank you in advance,

Ricky

Last edited by cece1960; 02-18-2010 at 10:04 AM. Reason: removed email addy
Old 02-18-2010, 11:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RickyC View Post
He was checked into a rehab for 28 days and got out a few weeks ago.
Does that mean he was coerced into rehab? If so, that might explain his behavior. Just about everyone coming out of rehab is going to deal with PAWS (post acute withdrawal syndrome), but if they're working some kind of recovery program they have the means to deal with it. Sobriety alone is not recovery; it's more like dry drunk.
Old 02-18-2010, 02:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Maybe part of his detox including a litany of prescribed drugs to ease the withdrawals. My guy went into a 28 day and only did 14 days. I recall the first visit I had with him he was completely utterly trashed on whatever it is they gave him. Within about 5 days he was off the withdrawal reducing meds and getting into a schedule of anti depressant, etc. However, when he got out of rehab, we had 5 prescriptions to fill and they totaled $600.00. We simply did not have the money. (things they don't tell you about getting out) so, he went cold turkey off the meds and it was worse than living in hell. he said a lot of stuff he didn't mean and the fear of relapse overtook him. He was a complete a$$ to live with. A lot of it too has to do with them recalling the effects of their actions and how much it hurt people they care about. I believe this is an embarrassment that some can't handle and instead of talking about the damage, they clam up and go into their man cave.
Old 02-19-2010, 07:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
grateful rca

hi, welcome to sr.

sorry to hear about your friend. from what you've described concerning his attitude makes me wonder whether or not he maybe using again. that would be common

quitting the drug is just the beginning of recovery, the real work begans after release from rehab. he have to be willing to work on his own character defects and i'm sorry but to me, it don't sound to much like he's doing that. i'm no expert though. i only know how it was for me when i left rehab and was ready to do the work on me compared to when i left rehab and was not quite ready. either way, i pray that your friend finds the way soon. pray for strength and guidance for the both of you.
Old 02-20-2010, 08:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I hope he is doing meetings. You could benefit from Alanon. Addicts are selfish. They are stuck in the age they were when they started using. If he was forced into rehab he may be pissed. He has to want recovery for himself. Resentments will just send him backwards. I would not take anything personally. He physically probably feels like crap. If he wasn't ready for recovery he wants to use. He may not be done. He may be pushing people away so he can use. The disease is cunning, baffling and powerful. The disease doesn't want to die but it doesn't care if he does. Alanon will educate you.