Notices

Saying Hi

Old 01-03-2010, 08:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Saying Hi

I've been reading posts here for a few days and decided it was time to join the club. I'm sure like many others here, I cannot stand the ever-increasing grip that alcohol has on my life anymore. And realized after a horrendous New Years Eve night that I have a problem that I can't fix by myself--which was so damn hard to admit at first but I'm becoming more comfortable with the idea with each day.

So I'm here, I went to AA last night for the first time, and going for some one-on-one this week and going to give it a sincere effort for probably the first time in my life to take back control. I'm tired of letting the booze drive me. It just sucks that a person has to hit the bottom before they make changes, why does it work that way? Anyway, I really look forward to learning more and hanging out here with everyone.

Last edited by LimaCharlie; 01-03-2010 at 08:32 AM. Reason: -
Old 01-03-2010, 08:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Location: Here's me. but when drinking could be found in doorways!
Hi there

Welcome to SR....

I think we need to hit bottom so we can finally realise how bad its got... unfortunately for me... i hit bottom along time ago and even then never realised... cos i didnt want to acknowledge there was a problem... or actually even know there was a problem then...

Then one day... it smacked me in the face... i cant do this... i cant take that drink and then stop... my friends were leaving... they had enough of the empty promises of it will never happen again.. something had to change... and that something was me...

Im glad you are getting support where you are... and hope your journey leads you where you need to be... and were always here to walk along that journey with you... if you fancy the company...

Take care and keep posting
Old 01-03-2010, 08:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think that the lure of the Buzz of booze is such that one really has to hit the point where they can clearly see for themselves that any 'buzz/pleasure' that they may get from booze ain't worth the repurcusions that taking that first drink will bring. Just my own opinion.

Kind of like when I used to take drugs like ecstacy I never used to even think about the comedown's afterwards but then over time I coudn't think of taking ecstacy without the comedown being present in my mind.

Booze I found different to that, which is why I am an alclholic, as despite the horrenfous hangovers/WD's that I've experienced my mind will instantly forget about that and only get the 'euphoric recall' of the buzz and the good-times.

Untill you hit your own personal 'bottom' then whats stopping you from picking back up again like everyone else that you see taking a drink with impunity.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Lima and to recovery. I think because we are beyond our own control of the substance and the substance has taken over our lives that it takes a lot for us to admit we need to let it go. Its like we have become programed to think this is the way life is and will be. It took me a lot of years to realize it wasn't my friend that it said it was and that I could actually live a happy, fulfilling life without it. It lies and we believe the lies until we come to that point of utter despair.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Living in the moment!

Hi LimaCharlie,

Welcome to SR, I am new here too! GREAT to hear that your attending AA, I have had good experiences with AA, unfortunately, I live in the Middle East and AA is not so popular here SO I am hoping to feed on SR, plus I have a life coach studying the bible with me and she wants to learn how to sponsor me so maybe, I have been sent an Angel to help me out!! I know I am sure sick and tired of being sick and tired!!
Old 01-03-2010, 09:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR lima & inout,
This is a great site with some awesome people. AA is a good move in my opinion. I had many failed attemps at sobriety before I walked into AA. There is much more to sobriety than just not drinking. Keep posting and reading. Take care.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi LimaCharlie and Welcome,

I agree with you, that addiction will destroy everything in your life, and then take your life, if you let it. There is lots of support here and I'm so glad that you decided to live a sober life.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
mergirl

Welcome Lima=) I spent a fair amount of time wishing I could have decided to quit the night before my train went off the rails. I made peace with my bottom slowly. I have decided now that I may some day be able to tell my story to help some one in pain, and they will know that I have been there.
Old 01-03-2010, 01:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR LimaCharlie

D
Old 01-03-2010, 04:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome Charlie ~

You're on a really good path with building a toolbox with SR, AA and one-on-one's. It shows your willingness to do whatever it takes - that's a great start.

Look forward to hearing more from you on your journey.

Beautiful dog, but I have to admit, the muzzle kind freaked me out at first...wouldn't want to **** him off...LOL.

Take care ~
Old 01-03-2010, 04:29 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the welcome and insight.

You know after being generally unhappy with life for the last few years I never really realized that 90%+ of my problems were somehow tied to alcohol. It seemed like a small part of my life but in reality it was a growing part. Now I think I'm beginning to see the true impact it's had on me.

I'm excited about the idea of living without alcohol for once. I just have to make sure I have the tools to combat the urge when the mind wants to revert back to old ways. That will be the challenge for me. Too bad the brain does not have a manual reset button.
Old 01-03-2010, 04:44 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Here's hoping you find that mute button to silence the "committee in your head" and keep you moving forward...you can do it...you've paved a good path...all the best to you.

Hbee