Getting off Lortab

Old 12-19-2009, 05:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Getting off Lortab

How do you get off pres. Lortab without going into treatment? I really need some answers. If anyone can help please reply!
Thanks
Old 12-19-2009, 05:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
grateful rca

hi, don't know much about prescription drugs but have you tried asking your dr. to prescribe you something thats not addictive? if thats not possible maybe you could try going to aa or na f2f support groups. maybe you could seek an addiction counselor or maybe try out some kind of out patient recovery program. keep coming back here, others will be along shortly with more experience and support. i will keep you in my prayers.
Old 12-19-2009, 05:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I had to use a licensed recovery counselor. They are out there. You can ask a local rehab for referrals for 'outpatient' treatment and some of them will give you a list. Also, I need support from a 12 step group. AA or NA will understand. Depending on your sitation. Bless you for seeking help!
Old 12-19-2009, 08:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

One gets off them by not using them.

There is a wealth of information for those seeking their own sobriety on the Substance Abuse forum from those who have embraced their own sobriety.

Most of us arrived here because we think we have/deserve control over someone else's addiction and seek the magic bullet that will cure them.

What we learn, over time, is that we have absolutely no control over anyone other than ourselves and our reactions. It is indeed a "drop to your knees" humbling experience to get it. If we were able to love someone out of addiction, none of us would be here.

The hardest lesson, at least for me, was to learn to disengage my own emotional wellbeing from my daughter's choices and behaviors because to continue to do so is an express train to hell. This disengagement is no doubt as tough as it is for an addict to break away from substances and alcohol.
Old 12-20-2009, 05:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm sorry I guess I need to explain the situation. My husband is the one addicted. He says he want to stop and says maybe a DR. could pres. him something to get off them. He does not have a pres. He started taking them for pain at first, now its just so he can get up and go. He says they give him the energy to get thru the day. It does, hes more active when hes on them, when hes not he just here. He wont go to Rehab, he wont talk to anyone about it. The worse thing about it all is my son who has his own addictions I find out my husband is putting my son at risk to get them for him. He even lied which is no surprise to me but I'm so angry I am at the point of leaving. So I guess my ? is, is there something a DR. could pres. him to help him get off them? Also I will try to convince him to ween off. Hes taking anywhere from 4 to 10 a day! Any answers would be appreciated, I don't want to leave him we have been married 29 yrs. but I cant deal with the fact that he is putting my son at risk when my son does that on his own. I don't think I could ever forgive him if my son where caught getting them for my husband.
Old 12-20-2009, 09:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
grateful rca

sorry you are having to deal with all of this and i'm sorry to say there is nothing you can do or say to help your husband or your son, they'll have to want to help themself. you said your husband refuses help, seems to me, he's not quit ready to quit. actions speak louder than words. it is common for an addict to say whatever they need to say to be able to continue their drug use in peace.

i'm a recovering addict and it took for my family to take a step away from me and allow me to hit rock bottom on my own, then and only then did i get serious about saving my own life by seeking recovery. today i'm a few yrs clean and eternally grateful to my family for allowing me to suffer the consequences of my own destructive actions. today our relationship is better than it was before addiction. by helping themselves they allowed me the chance to see just how out of control my life had become. if they had chosen to stick around picking up the pieces of the bad choices i was making, i'm sure i would still be out using today.

my ah of 23yrs is what brought me to this place and i felt that i couldn't leave him or make him leave just because of his addiction but after 21yrs of trying to convince him that he needed to stop, i had to separate myself, his addiction and behavior was literally driving me insane.

i know it hurts but you have to do what is best for you and in doing what is best for you, might just be the best thing for your husband and your son. keep posting, reading and try ala non or naranon f2f support groups for you. time to put the focus on you and what you need to do to make your life easier. we who love addicts sometimes becomes just as sick as them and need help too.

i will keep you and your family in my prayers.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Just being curious here, what is your husband doing that puts your son at further risk?

It is possible that an MD might prescribe Suboxone. While no magic bullet, it can be an effective method, when used within a recvery program, for some people to get off opiates. Others, substitute their drug of choice for a non-opiate because they still want the high.

Given it's you, and not your husband, writing for alternatives, sounds like he's not ready to quit. Only you can decide if you want to live with someone in active addiction.
Old 12-22-2009, 03:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for the tips everyone.
Old 12-26-2009, 07:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Oh sweetie, I feel your pain. I lived with an addict for 3 years. Unfortunately, he passed away of an overdose on 11-29-09. He drank alcohol and had an opiate addiction. Do you know the signs to look for? Just from experience, I'm not implying that your spouse is being dishonest with you, but it is a possibility he is minimizing the amount of usage. It takes more and more to get the high. My fiance', before he passed, would snort 10 roxicodone at a time. The addiction had graduated to that level. Within three years he became an IV user, holing up in gas station and McDonald's bathrooms. I'm sorry to say, that your son has become an enabler. And he probably is "doing what he is told" by his father. Just a hunch though, perhaps they are doing them together. Have you started to notice gaps in the family income/budget? Strange and erratic behavior. It's possible that the doctor will address the addiction and prescribe something like tramadol. The next steps are going to include violence and criminal charges. Secure yourself. Please Please Please don't do what I did which was focus on the "dream" of promises. I heard all the same stories. "I want to be drug free" (while high!) AlAnon turned a big light on in my head and so did Hospice. Too little too late for me, but it is NOT for you. Brace yourself. If I have any advice to give you, DO NOT ever take them to a hospital ER. An addict will become dopesick, and this can be fatal. However, the dopesick individual is so convincing that a trip to the ER will provide a pain shot and they're on they're merry way.