Notices

Please Help!!!

Old 12-13-2009, 11:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Exclamation Please Help!!!

Hey guys,

Im new here and thought id tell a quick wrap-up of my experiences in the last year. A little over a year ago I was diagnosed with Leukemia. I went through some horrible situations; constant lumbar punctures, bone marrow biopsies and chemotherapy that made me feel like I was dying and steroids that diminished my bones. Because of all these I was on a constant morphine drip, dialudid, and given (not knowing the most evil of them all) oxycodone to help the pain. Since diagnoses I have been on 15 mg of oxycodone 4-5 times a day ( every 4 hours). It wasnt until september of this year that I ralized I had a problem. If I slept an extra few hours I would find myself waking up with the strangest feelings; I had creepy crawly skin that made me want to jump out of a building and such bad anxiety that my heart felt like it was going to explode. Thinking that I had such strong will power I decided to go cold turkey one weekend. It was the worst mistake of my life! I had the worst fevers that came alone with cold sweats then hot flashes back and forth constantly, it got so bad that I waS Forced to be hospitilized and was sent home with sme xanax. My shirts would be drenched with sweat from my armpits alone. I realized that I couldnt do it and went back into my taper plan that I have been currently been on.

However something strange has has happend since that horrible event! Its like I put my body and mind through such a hell and a rock bottom feeling that I might have damaged some type of neurotransmitters in my brain. Im constantly anxious, always nervous with sweaty palms, I dont eat/ sleep or do anything! Ive become lethargic as well which is the most negative side effect because I'm such a motivated kid who wants to do something with my life. I am actually a pre-medical student studieng to go into oncology/hematology but as of lately I dont have the motivation to do ANYTHING! My girlfriend has left me when I needed her the most because she said I was just not looking out for her and her feelings, which has only added to my already high anxiety. i DONT know what to do!!!! Please if anyone has gone through any of this or has advice on what I could do it would be GREATLY appreciated. Please ask all the questions you guys want! Pick at my brain in order to give better advice. Thank you SO much for having the compassion to even read this. I hope to hear from you all soon.

-A scared young man : (
Old 12-13-2009, 11:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Angelwings

Welcome to SR - I'm sure others will be along with their experience.

I'm not sure how long this anxiety has gone on - but anxiety is common for most of us in the early period of recovery, but things usually settle. They did for me at any rate.

If it's been an appreciable amount of time, or if the anxiety is impacting your quality of life, have you thought of seeing a therapist?

D
Old 12-14-2009, 05:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

Welcome to our Sober Recovery community!
Old 12-14-2009, 06:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think that withdrawl can cause a lot of anxiety.

Have you talked to your dr about what is happening?