Notices

7 Days and Hurting/Scared

Old 12-01-2009, 07:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
TBD

7 Days and Hurting/Scared

Hi I am an Alcoholic. At one time I had 17 years sobriety and I threw it away. I have been trying to sober up for 5 years now. My sobriety date is 11/25/09, at which time I had drank a fifth of Absolut and took a whole bunch of Xanax. Stupid ! I know. I am having terrible withdrawl symptoms, trouble sleeping, shakes, nausea, headaches, emotional swings.... I went back to AA and got a new sobriety date and have been going everyday. It seems like the only time my mind clears up any is when I am in a meeting, then the emotional swing starts and I start crying, embarrassing for an old man. I have been reading Psalms and find great comfort in them, Thanks for being here and letting me share.
Old 12-01-2009, 07:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome back
Old 12-01-2009, 07:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

I'm glad you have found your way back to sobriety.

There is lots of support here, so keep posting and reading.

I hope you feel better soon. Have you talked to your dr?
Old 12-01-2009, 07:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
TBD

Thanks! I have not gone to my Dr. since he started me on the Xanax. I don't think he really understands the alcolholic thought process or lack there of.
Old 12-01-2009, 07:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Welcome back...a new sobriety date is better than none at all. I'd be a goner without my meetings. If I need a crutch, I'll use one, and they don't do my any harm like my old one did....

and this is a great place to be between meetings!
Old 12-01-2009, 07:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
I'm glad you made it back, welcome to SR
Old 12-01-2009, 08:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR! :ghug3
Old 12-01-2009, 11:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
TBD

I spoke with someone (recommended by my sponsor) in my AA group who is familiar with the Xanax problem. He told I need to see my doctor. So I have an appointment this afternoon. Tryed calling my sponsor but he is in a AA meeting, left him the message that I am headed to the doctor.

Psalm 91 verse 1 "He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High
will rest in the shadow of the Almighty. "
Old 12-01-2009, 11:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Rockstar

Old 12-01-2009, 11:58 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TBD View Post
Hi I am an Alcoholic. At one time I had 17 years sobriety and I threw it away. I have been trying to sober up for 5 years now. My sobriety date is 11/25/09, at which time I had drank a fifth of Absolut and took a whole bunch of Xanax. Stupid ! I know. I am having terrible withdrawl symptoms, trouble sleeping, shakes, nausea, headaches, emotional swings.... I went back to AA and got a new sobriety date and have been going everyday. It seems like the only time my mind clears up any is when I am in a meeting, then the emotional swing starts and I start crying, embarrassing for an old man. I have been reading Psalms and find great comfort in them, Thanks for being here and letting me share.
TBD, welcome back. Keep coming back and talking it through.
If you have the opportunity to go into any private or more intensive group counseling that might also be a good thing. Make sure you are also getting the medical advice you might require from a doctor who understands addiction issues, it is important that we take care of our health especially after all the damage we have put our bodies through. All the best to you.
Old 12-01-2009, 01:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Life is Grand

Hi and welcome TBD

Thank you so much for telling your story, to be honest, it scares the crap out of me. I am very grateful to have a few 24 hrs sober, but it is always in the back of my mind, the thought of, what if I take that one drink. Thank you so much for helping me stay sober one more day. I hope in some small way, I can help you also. I look forward to reading your posts, please don't give up. The mood swings will lessen with sober days, hang in there

Cathy
Old 12-01-2009, 02:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome TBD, you're a good reminder that even with years of sobriety any one of us can fall and you just have to pick yourself up and start over. Reading the Bible including Psalms is what saved me, particularly Romans it made everything make sense to me including all the "reasons" I used for being such a drunk.
Good luck to you and God Bless.
Old 12-01-2009, 04:27 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Let me add my greetings to the mix. I'm very newly sober, and I find it amazing that you were able to pick yourself up and start again. I'm sorry that you had your slip after being sober for so long, but I think it's wonderful that you have come here to share your journey with us. Thank you for that - - honestly. You give hope to those of us who are just starting out.

SG
Old 12-01-2009, 04:29 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome TBD - I'm glad you're seeing your Dr
Hope to see you around some more

D
Old 12-01-2009, 06:30 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Welcome, TBD. Please stay and share more of your story.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:21 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Cool

Hey TBD ----

WELCOME BACK!!!!!! So glad to be able to say this; way better than another funeral (I've been to waaaaay too many of those).

Since you already posted the Scripture verse, I don't feel it to be inappropriate to make the following suggestions.....:

Besides AA, you might want to check out some Bible-based recovery programs.....like.....: Celebrate Recovery, Alcoholics Victorious, the Christians in Recovery Forum (on this site), and also the Christians in Recovery website; it's gots lots and lots of stuff, but one must join (hi-$$$$) for some of it....

....again.......goodonya for making it back.

NoelleR
Old 12-01-2009, 11:47 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our recovery community
I'm glad you are here with us

Forward we go....side by side..