Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Drug Addiction > Substance Abuse
Reload this Page >

horribly scared of new prescription. questions + follow up to old thread

Notices

Old 11-22-2009, 08:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

(Please forgive me but I like to type a lot of detail)

Hello everyone. I recently made a thread ("My personal withdrawal experiences.") and, I'm not sure if everyone read it but, I have a small follow-up to it and a new subject to talk about. Thanks to everyone who read it and posted responses, by the way.

To summarize my recent post: I basically covered my medical past, chronic pain issues, withdrawal experiences, addictions, and recent issues. It's been over a week and, although the symptoms have eased up a bit, I'm still feeling some withdrawal from my norco addiction. Something just doesn't feel balanced in me (I'm assuming it's my endorphins) and I'm experiencing heavy depression. I'm trying to weight lift every few hours to get my juices running better.

Anyways, to get to the point of this thread: I recently had an appointment with a pain therapist. Possibly off-subject but they believe that my past surgeries have caused me chronic nerve-damage. To help, they're discussing something called a nerve-block & psychical-therapy... which I'm fine with. It's their other idea that's scaring me.

Another subject in my other thread I covered was my worst withdrawal case ever: sudden discontinuation of a SSRI, known as cymbalta, leading to symptoms that almost made me kill myself. Well, due to that experience, my new prescription of Elavil (Amitriptyline) is making me insanely nervous and scared. I know what anti-depressants are, I know what they do, I know what they've caused people to do, and I know it's even hard to ween yourself off them.

I'm really hoping they didn't give me this pill because they think it's all in my head but - they claim that this drug will help me with my nasty insomnia, help boosts my spirits, and, most importantly, help with the chronic neurological pain I'm suffering from.

First off, I'm just wondering if there's any personal opinions on this case. I'm also wondering if anyone else has experience with this drug and how difficult it might be to ween off it. I remember that getting myself slowly off cymbalta was insanely difficult. If I have to go through another case of withdrawal again, I don't know what kind of actions I'm going to resort to. I've been through too many cases of withdrawal and the thought of another bad one is making me sick with worry.

I guess that about wraps up my thread, though. Again - thanks to any readers & future posters. I'm here to offer advice or answer any questions people might have (even one-on-one, if requested). Take care & Happy-early-Thanksgiving.

P.S.

Why the hell are these pills giving me 2-3 nightmares every freaking night...
Old 11-22-2009, 09:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

hi xbluemystx

None of us here are doctors - this is very much something you need to discuss with them.

I would try not to worry tho - medications sometimes take a while to settle in, and this could be the case here. Do set your mind at ease though and check.

As for your withdrawal - I have no experience with norcos, but again - if you're worried about anything, your Dr is the best person to ask.

D
Old 11-23-2009, 05:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I took Amitriptyline about 5 years ago for about a month, it helped me sleep but my anxiety was off the charts!
Old 11-23-2009, 08:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Interesting... I can't quite put my finger on it but I've been feeling odd & stressed out ever since I've started taking it. I wonder if it's the same case as yours. I'm hoping it's just my recent withdrawal but I'm worried it might be the Elavil. I remember when I was taking Cymbalta, I felt like a completely different person.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

they had me on cymbalta for a few months also, and when i stopped taking it i was sick as hell for about a week