Notices

New to This...

Old 11-19-2009, 06:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to This...

Well I am the mother of 4 beautiful girls and have been married to the father of my children for almost 7 years. Both my husband and I were drug addicts when we first met and we were on everything but meth was our #1. I got pregnant in 2002 and quit everything after I found out and never looked back. It took my husband a couple months to finally kick it. Since then we both were as clean as a whistle but in 2007 I had my third daughter and when I had my epidural I had extreme back pain ever since.So I have had to take pain pills so I can do my normal daily activities. I had my fourth daughter May of this year and I have started abusing them after having her. My back pain did get worse after her, but I am taking way more pills than what I should take. I have taken over 10 in one day. I never get "high" like I am druged out but they give me energy for some reason. I have one refill left before I see the doc again but I want this to be my last, I just told my husband last night and he is very supportive. I just need to know how to get off of these Norco's with out having a withdrawl. Should I ask my doctor?
Old 11-21-2009, 05:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I just need to know how to get off of these Norco's with out having a withdrawl.
I've not been on the forum for a few days, nbaxter. Otherwise, I surely would have responded to this post. However, it almost reads poetically without a reply in that, most likely, there is no way to get off the dope without withdrawal. After all, even if you talk to a doctor who prescribes Suboxone and you're one of the lucky ones who have no physical withdrawal symptoms when tapering from the Suboxone, I don't know if there's any way to get around the mental withdrawal issues. I've read that there's even PAWS after tapering off Suboxone (I don't know personally because I haven't tapered off yet).

I'm assuming that you want to avoid withdrawal in order not to impose on your family. After all, you have four girls to mother. I understand that. Whether or not Suboxone or C/T is best for your, only you and your doctor can decide. Suboxone has a website that allows you to look for a doctor in your area. I'll warn you, they are limited to 100 patients, so it can be hard to find one accepting new patients. It's not usually cheap and many doctors require cash and any insurance billing is up to you after you've paid them.

I'd be happy to correspond with you if you want to PM me. I also am a mother. I have 3 very handsome boys. Last year, I very quickly became addicted to pain pills (hydros and oxys). I haven't been able to stay clean since detoxing. So, I'm on Suboxone. Like you, I have a supportive husband, though my husband has never really known chemical addiction. He has, however, struggled with other addiction issues.

I'm curious. After you and your husband got clean so many years ago, did you attend NA or any other recovery program?
Old 11-21-2009, 10:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

Old 11-21-2009, 11:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Was lovestruck by drugs

hello

If you are taking them for energy and more than recomended you are taking them to get high. I can relate, I just came off them two weeks ago. I told myself they were for energy, but they also were a crutch for something else. If I didn't have them I didn't feel normal.

My advice is to be truthful with your doctor, and have him write out a plan for you to taper off them. Or if he reccomends sub treatment. I went cold turkey and had the most horrible withdrawl ever, but I remember that hell of withdrawl and never want to go through it again. Good Luck, and keep us posted.
Old 11-22-2009, 12:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Some people feel energized by opiates, it depends on how the individual's endorphin system, relevant receptors and metabolism all react to their presence, however rest assured that most of cannot stand and are likely to pass out in mid-conversation due to said presence.

Norco contains hydrocodone - some would tell you this wouldn't be as bad an oxycodone or heroin withdrawal, but I disagree. What I've seen is that withdrawal severity depends on the duration of continuous physical dependence, not on the strength of the opiate. Length of withdrawal is largely dependent on the same thing, but things like amount ingested daily (more is worse, obviously) and continuous stable blood/plasma levels come into play here. Like if you were the kind of person who woke up in the middle of the night having to take pills, your withdrawal is likely to be a real bitch.

Empirically, there is no way to not experience a withdrawal as of yet known. The best way to make things less hard on yourself is to see a doctor about gradually reducing the dose slowly (tapering) over a certain period of time (they usually use the length of your physical dependence as something of a ruler). Even with a scientifically perfect taper in harmony with all your bodily systems, you'd probably still experience some withdrawal somewhere in there, though it would be mild. Alternatively, and this works better for some people, there are options like Suboxone and Methadone, which you take to replace the drug you're currently taking, then more painlessly (again, this varies from person to person, it is sometimes more painful) taper off of that one.