Notices

Omw i slipped!!!

Old 11-19-2009, 02:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Omw i slipped!!!

I tried to be alcohol free for the first time.Im 23. Its been 7 days sober and 5 hours ago i decided to have a few drinks, i feel like such a loser. Because i gave in to temptation.I wasted 7days on nothing,i mean How could i let myself drink! Omw.
Old 11-19-2009, 02:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Cadence, congrats on the 7 days! That's a big deal, hon. You slipped. You cannot turn back time and change it, but you can choose to not do it again. The only moment you can control is NOW. If you have a drink in your hand, put it down. If you wake in the morning and want to drink again, don't.

Just keep moving forward. Those 7 days were not for nothing. You saw how much brighter life is without alcohol in it. Much peace and wellness to you.
Old 11-19-2009, 02:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I know how you feel .. with drugs. Yes relapsing is bad but you're not alone. Just focus on moving forward and trying to stay sober again.
Old 11-19-2009, 02:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Don't feel bad. I just slipped up big-time. Binge city. In it's own strange way, be happy that only 7 days were invested. Undoing 7 days will only take 7 days to remedy, and you'll be setting a new record, soon!

Not that I am a success story, but I've always found that a hobby is the strongest defense against the desire to drink. It can be anything as long as it's challenging enough to occupy the brain for more than ten minutes. Have you ever been a musician and gave it up, or ever wanted to play? No time like now. Start and maintain a blog to bring out the Hemingway in you. Heck, start a garden. It doesn't matter as long as it occupies the mind...which is your worst enemy sobriety.
Old 11-19-2009, 03:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Cadence

Your 7 days aren't wasted. Many of us had a fall a time or two before we 'got it'.

The important thing is to look at where you went wrong, why you drank, and try to pre-empt that happening again.

We've all been there.
Hold yourself accountable, sure, but whats done is done - don't beat yourself up

D
Old 11-19-2009, 03:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Cadence,

As Dee said, your days were not wasted. They were days when you were not putting alcohol into your body, and days when you were beginning to learn about recovery.

Learn from this experience and move on.
Old 11-19-2009, 03:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I agree with everything said. Don't consider the slip a major catastrophe like you seem to be doing. And you DEFINITELY are NOT A LOSER!! Erase that thought from your mind. It will only drive you to drink again. Try thinking of it as an opportunity to learn more about yourself. Also, if you stop now, you can prevent that really awful hangover that would undoubtedly be there if you continued to wallow and drink more. I have confidence in you. You can do 7 days again!!!!!
Old 11-19-2009, 04:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
totfit

Really you didn't waste 7 days at all just today. Every day we drink instead of doing something else is a waste. The non-drinking days can't be wasted.
Old 11-19-2009, 07:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
The New Me starting 1/11/09

Don't stress too much about it. Just use it as a learning experience.

You could ask yourself ...

- What was going on in my life at that time?
- Was there something in particular that made me want to drink?
- What was I thinking that told me it was ok to drink?

In the end, your goal is to become more self-aware so that you can spot the alcoholic thinking and the triggers. (As we usually relapse in our thinking long before we actually take that drink.)

So, view it is a science experiment where you just got some good data that you can use for the future!
Old 11-19-2009, 08:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It's done and over with. Now go on. You can start again. I had 7 YEARS and relapsed. I picked myself up and moved on. Now I have 18 months again. I have a sponsor, home group, go to a meeting everyday when I can. At least 5 or 6 a week....I have a support system. I do what my sponsor and other recovering people tell me to do to maintain my sobriety. It is life or death for me and I choose life. I tried to do it all alone and can not do it. I need my meetings. That is MY experience. 7 days is great! Now start again and do what you need to do. God Bless!
Old 11-20-2009, 01:19 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Owner of a strange glitch.

Those 7 days certainly weren't a waste...

So you tripped, pick yourself up and learn something from this so it wasn't a waste of a few beers either... 'cause I'm guessing from your tone that you're not happy about all this.

No reason you can't just start over and do more sober days.

Take care,
TB, who has been there
Old 11-20-2009, 01:48 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Rockstar

One slip doesn't mean you've *bleeped* your whole life up. Dust off and crack on with your sober plans
Old 11-20-2009, 11:20 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

Seven days of feeling what it is like to see things without alcohol, 7 less days abusement on your body