Leaving DV Shelter, going to stay with girlfriend

Old 11-17-2009, 10:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Leaving DV Shelter, going to stay with girlfriend

Family,

I'm going to leave the shelter. I haven't made arrangements yet, but am about to. A girlfriend offered me a place to stay. If he knows her, he probably doesn't know her last name, and certainly doesn't know where she lives. I've been depressed off and on for over a week, and down deep in the dumps since Saturday. The shelter makes it so hard. I'm grateful for what they're doing, but in many ways I feel as though I'm going through similar experiences as when I was with AH. I'm not free to go anywhere or do anything without mandatory paperwork, approval, accountability. While I understand why it's necessary, it's too reminiscent of my life with AH. I need to get back to a counselor, AlAnon meetings, church and sponsor meetings. I also need to quit cleaning other people's and children's messes, and being threatened with eviction if I don't. I feel like I'm getting emotionally beat up and physically drained every day.

Thoughts anybody?

Love,
Tigg
Old 11-17-2009, 11:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

... and they keep trying to take advantage of me since I go to work in a suit every day, and they figure I must have $'s meaning I should hand out all my stuff and money like so much candy. I think even some of the staff feels like that.
Old 11-17-2009, 11:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Being Silent so I can Hear

You do what you need to do, for you Tigger. As long as you're safe, that's the important thing.
Old 11-17-2009, 11:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

But Still (imagine whiney voice), I want an opinion.
Old 11-17-2009, 11:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Being Silent so I can Hear

On what? Are they being a pain in the butt? Probably. You can't change 'em right?
Old 11-17-2009, 11:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Tigger, sorry you are going through that. I'm glad you're safe and have a friend's place to stay at for a while. I'm sure I would feel uncomfortable in a similar situation. It can feel crummy to be the odd man out. Maybe focus on being grateful for what you do have (job, suit, your dog--you have a dog I think I read, right?), rather than on the way the others are reacting to you. It's temporary.. one day at a time. You have done very well for yourself. Keep up the good work!
Old 11-17-2009, 04:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

IF you can be safe AND in a more comfortable, supportive environment...what is the down side to that???????????
Old 11-17-2009, 05:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

I think it's a wonderful idea to spend some time with a friend in a safe place.

(((hugs)))
Old 11-17-2009, 05:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Tigg, I hope you find the right place for you and your pets. I admire all that you have done! You are an inspiration.
Old 11-17-2009, 05:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Divorce is depressing, sweetie! It is the death of our dreams and our plans and of who we thought our other was and would always be.
Old 11-17-2009, 06:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

with a little encouragement from a dear friend and my mom and sister, I've ade the decision to go to my friends' house. Yay, I'm so excited and for the moment less depressed. Thanks for always being there for me! Intheknow, um... Sheesh I don't know what to say. I feel like a depressed wuss. Its only thru the inspiration of you and others on SR that I'm making it at all.
Old 11-17-2009, 06:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You left the situation, and didn't go back. You forged into the unknown and uncomfortable, and kept going. You are taking your life back.

You rock, my dear. You ROCK.
Old 11-17-2009, 07:48 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

ahhh shucks
Old 11-18-2009, 10:52 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm all packed, my stuff, what little I have, is in my car. My fur-baby is in the car. I'm going tonight to my girlfriend's house, I'm not even sure where. But it's not the shelter. Yay! I'm so excited!
Old 11-18-2009, 11:10 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I have a big smile on my face!
You will get through this....and out on the other side, rejoicing in happy, joyous and free!
And dang right we are going to meet up some day.
I am going to look up where Garden of the Gods is.
I know it isn't too far from you.
I have always wanted to see it and my daughter used to go on an all girls camp out there for a weekend when fall was prettiest and it wasn't too cold yet. The friend she used to go with is not well enough physically to do it anymore. But I am!!!!
Old 11-18-2009, 12:37 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

You realize that if you come to my house... well let's just say you'll have to do what I suggested on the other thread... plow through crap to get to the bathroom. LOL - and no cooking is done in my house unless someone else does it. The house is tiny (<1000 sq ft). However, in the winter it's warm, summer it's cool, and there's an in-ground pool! There's an open invitation to YOU! And once AH leaves, it'll be full of love and laughter and no alcohol! Great big hugs! - Tigg
Old 11-18-2009, 06:02 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'm at my friends' house... it's LOVELY! Her fur baby and mine even look alike. So cute... they're each sitting by their mommies right now as we try to figure out what's wrong with her wireless internet. Wireless INTERNET! YAY - my link to SR! This home feels comfortable, and i can leave my stuff out and know nobody's going to steal it, and OH it feels so good!

Now, after a few good nights' sleep, I can concentrate on getting the legal stuff done.

Thanks as always for everyone's support, prayers and strength!

Love
Hugs
Tigg
Old 11-18-2009, 06:07 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I am so very glad for you!!!!
I am feeling a bit off today...but tomorrow expect a long email! LOL
Old 11-18-2009, 06:39 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Tigger, you are on an incredible journey and it lifts my heart to see you taking these steps to freedom! You're my hero this week.
Old 11-18-2009, 06:44 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

YAY Tigger!!!!! Give your girlfriend a big hug from all of us too! How sweet of her to offer her home to you!

The only word I have for you is very obvious but I'm going to say it anyway. Just make sure he doesn't follow you from work to the house, ok? Always be vigilant. Do not EVER get complacent. OK? Ok. (((Hugs))))