Notices

37 days

Old 10-27-2009, 05:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Kez

37 days

Hello, its been a few weeks since ive been on, ive had a few hairy moments where ive nearly fallen off the wagon, seriously i thought that if i had just one ill be right,, but i didnt thank god, i know where that would lead me. so 37days and i feel ok,, just started at the gym today, its real funny i thought alcohol made you put on weight????? now ive stopped nothings changed I dont really get it,,, its great waking up not hung over or anxietied out full of regrets and no memory,, but i still feel a bit empty and i seem to be filling the whole with alot of sugar more so over the last week and a half which i think is a bit strange, anyhow the times where i have nearly lost it, ive thought about everyone on here and everyones threads and comments and it has kept me out of the gutter so thank you to everyone for that...
Old 10-27-2009, 05:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Kez... good going. I hope for the same success. Could you tell me the close calls and how you got out of them without drinking? Privately if that suits you. I have 2 days and working on 3. Keep going, man!
Old 10-27-2009, 05:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Kez,

You're doing great!

You're right, I think most of us drink to fill the emptiness within, and that's something we definitely need to address when we stop drinking. Getting back to working out at the gym is a great idea. For me, I began to take long walks, daily and it helped me on so many levels. One change in your life causes a ripple effect and it can be so positive in your attitude.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Kez

Thanks Sandpoint, one real bad close call was about 1.5 weeks ago,, i went out to dinner with my husband, these are the times where i realllly realllly love a wine, i was sitting there facing everyone in the restaurant and looking at the bar, everybody was bloody drinking, i mean everyone i couldnt believe it, alcohol is accepted far too much, i felt so uncomfortable and i said to my husband i really dont think im ready for this,, i was so close to ordering, but i stood firm and just got myself out of the situation and left and went to the movies I was soooo relieved to get the hell out of there I felt like i was in a shark pit with no protection it was really horrible, wayyyyyy to soon to put myself there. So one huge thing i would say to you is dont put yourself in vulnerable situations like that to soon, its not fair to do it to yourself and to put that much pressure on yourself....

Another earlier on around the time you are at,,, i had a party here (which i couldnt get out of it was sort of business) and everyone was drinking i freaked,, i actually kept running into the house on the pc talking and reading to people on here and it got me through... so keep coming here keep posting keep talking and reading it really does help,, there have been many more situations but ill be here forever going thru them,, just know your triggers and dont put yourself around temptation too early, even if you think you can handle it....
Old 10-27-2009, 05:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Kez

thanks Anna, yes i think i have to keep at it, because i do feel alot better with out alcohol,, but i still dont feel like i had previously when i stopped drinking and i dont know why... ive gained weight and feel real horrible about it, and my diet has gone way out the window,, so i have to keep going because i dont want to crash
Old 10-27-2009, 06:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Kez

Thankyou Sandy thats great news i feel a little better now....
Old 10-27-2009, 06:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats on your sobriety, it gets easier to handle those situations. But it is wise not to put yourself in harms way early on. Great idea on joining the gym, I have recently done the same... feels like the next right step in my recovery. All the best!

Clayton
Old 10-27-2009, 06:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good job Kez and hang in there. I gained weight after I quit drinking 168 days ago. Lots of running and lifting got it back under control. Not sure where those alcohol calories went, but I had no problem replacing them with something else apparently!
Old 10-27-2009, 06:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Kez

thanks guys
Old 10-27-2009, 06:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Good for you.....
Old 10-27-2009, 06:55 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Wondered how things were, Kez
'Onya mate LOL

D
Old 10-27-2009, 07:02 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

Old 10-28-2009, 05:42 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Kez

Im still around Dee thanks for wondering.....

Ill always check in....
Old 10-28-2009, 07:14 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hey Kez, congrats on making it 37 days--38 now, right? I am on day 38 myself, and seem to be experiencing exactly the same thing as you are regarding the sugar intake. I was horrified with myself two nights ago when I went through almost half of a box of chocolates in one sitting! I too was looking forward to losing weight after quitting the drinking. I figured that the amount of rum and/or beer I used to put back every day carried a huge amount of calories, and now that I have stopped drinking, the weight would just come off....Nope! I lost about 5 lbs by mid week two, and was quite excited about that--but then the sugar cravings really kicked in.

I have read (and witnessed in family members and myself, lol) that a craving for sweets is VERY common for alcoholics who have quit drinking. We need something to replace the sugar that drinking provided (alcohol is converted to sugar very quickly in the body).

I wouldn't worry too much about it--I tell myself that as long as it doesn't get too out of control, eating sweets is far better than what I was doing before. For now, chocolate (or skittles, or licorice, or ice cream) is by far the lesser of the two evils.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:26 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Congrats on your sober time!
Old 10-28-2009, 08:42 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Congrats on the 38 days, I too gained some weight after I quit, but actually looked as though I was losing weight because the swelling in my liver went WAY down.

Chocolate is still my demon since I quit, but you know I am far happier with a bit of extra weight and the regaining of my sanity.

The thing I found that really made a huge difference for me was change, simply not drinking I had tried many times and always wound up drinking again. In working the program of AA I have found an inner peace I never dreamed possible, part of that inner peace comes from helping others, mainly other alcoholics to get and stay sober.

Exercise is great, working with those in need has rewards beyond measure I have found. I am now a part of the world and a part of the solution today instead of one of the problems! LOL
Old 10-28-2009, 09:31 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

That's so true about the liver, Taz. My gut went away and I got back into my jeans. Astonishingly, the backache I'd been experiencing went away, too. I wonder if that was my liver, too, or just the strain it put on my back.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:03 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Kez

so does the sugar cravings stop then?