Thread: 37 days
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2009, 07:14 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
sphalerite

Hey Kez, congrats on making it 37 days--38 now, right? I am on day 38 myself, and seem to be experiencing exactly the same thing as you are regarding the sugar intake. I was horrified with myself two nights ago when I went through almost half of a box of chocolates in one sitting! I too was looking forward to losing weight after quitting the drinking. I figured that the amount of rum and/or beer I used to put back every day carried a huge amount of calories, and now that I have stopped drinking, the weight would just come off....Nope! I lost about 5 lbs by mid week two, and was quite excited about that--but then the sugar cravings really kicked in.

I have read (and witnessed in family members and myself, lol) that a craving for sweets is VERY common for alcoholics who have quit drinking. We need something to replace the sugar that drinking provided (alcohol is converted to sugar very quickly in the body).

I wouldn't worry too much about it--I tell myself that as long as it doesn't get too out of control, eating sweets is far better than what I was doing before. For now, chocolate (or skittles, or licorice, or ice cream) is by far the lesser of the two evils.