New here

Old 10-14-2009, 07:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New here

Sober 15 years, wdiowed via heroin overdose and now dealing with 18 year old son dabbling in everything up to heroin.

It is one thing with a spouse. Another all together with your child. Or is it?

I am here to help myself accept reality and find solutions for myself as to not lose my mind.

Thanks for having me.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Lots of parents of addicted kids here. I'm not one of them, but wanted to welcome you.

More will be along to welcome you and share their experiences.

Keep coming back!

CLMI
Old 10-14-2009, 08:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

HeidiW, Welcome to SR from a mom of an AD. (addict daughter)

Congratulations on YOUR 15 Years! Now keeping that in mind, remember what it took you to get clean and stay clean. That is exactly what it's going to take your son. He needs to want it more than he wants to use.

Remember those 3 c's You didn't cause it, you can't control it, and you can't cure it.

Keep reading here and posting and know that you are not walking this walk alone.

Hugs,
Chris
Old 10-14-2009, 09:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Hiedi...
Welcome to SR.
The addict in my life is my exhusband (exah). The relationship might be different but the struggles are so similar.
I hope you find the same hope, encouragment, and support I've been fortunate enough to find here.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Heidi,

Welcome. Congratulations on your 15 years. It will be great to hear things from your recovery and mom experience.

I am the mom of a AS (addict son) who claims to be 3 months sober using Suboxone.

I didn't hit my AlAnon & NarAnon meetings last week and my therapist moved to another city so I am struggling a bit myself. But I'll hit my meetings this week and know that the experience, strength and hope shared there will help to bolster my recovery.
Old 10-14-2009, 05:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Heidi,
Welcome. Congratulations on 15 years that's great and gives us hope. My addict is my 25 year old son. You will find a lot of support here. I am sure your heart hurts just as much as all of ours do and I wonder if by being in recovery yourself you can possibly understand it a little better than we do. As I am sure you are learning there is nothing you can really do for you son other than let him know you love him and try to guide him towards recovery. Just as I am sure there must have been some people who tried to stop you and failed. Do you remember what finally made you decide to change? Best of luck to you and your son, I will keep you in my prayers.
Old 10-14-2009, 05:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome!
Old 10-14-2009, 05:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

((Heidi)) - Welcome to SR, though I am sorry for what brings you here.

I'm a recovering addict, dealing with a few loved ones who are addicts. Whatever relationship brings us here, there are some wonderful, supportive people here..you are not alone.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy