OT... Whine with me, I'm sick!! :(

Old 10-07-2009, 09:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

OT... Whine with me, I'm sick!! :(

Hi guys,

Just a quick shout-out, off topic, it's all about ME shareing thread. I'm sick. Been 3 dang weeks with a cold/cough/ yucky feeling thing going on. JUST when I think I made it around the bend, it goes back to my chest-- then the nose, all over AGAIN!

I went to the DR. and he told me I have a 'virus' that antibiodics won't touch. (no fever etc.) Rest/fluids/ no stress, should clear it up!! LOL.... like fluids are the only thing reasonable for me!

So, the more I talk to people-- I'm finding there are a lot of colds going around that are really, really, lasting a long time!! I'm just not used to it, I typically don't get sick, when I do it lasts 7 days tops!!

URGH!

Anyhoo guys--- anyone else feeling like yucky?? Or on the flip side, anything you wanna just whine about--- and have it be ALL ABOUT US FOR A CHANGE?

Thanks for shareing/listening!
Love ya guys,
Cess
Old 10-07-2009, 10:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I went in for my random drug screen test today and the lab gal told me she had just gotten over the flu. She said her doctor said it was the flu. So I asked the symptoms and achy, fever, congestion, coughing, feeling tired for 2 solid weeks.
I have every symptom but the fever. I am also going on my 2nd week of this crud. It won't go away. It is not bacterial. It seems to act like sinus congestion then goes to allergy type congestion but with no tapering or slowing down.
I feel for you and I hope this ends soon. I could stand the postnasal drip and the runny nose and the cough but the extreme weakness is about to flay me. If this is the flu then I don't want to see the swine flu.
Old 10-08-2009, 03:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

hey Meditation--sounds like what I have!!

Isn't that something? My Dr. said that I 'may' have had the flu, but 'unlikely' without fever........

I even went as far as to get a bunch of 'nutritional healing books' 'alternative medicine' books, and have been dabbling with the info found in those...... (eat raw garlic). Gross I know, but today I actually feel 'better'. Appaently RAW garlic (2 cloves min.) has HUGE antiviral/antibacterial properties. I knew garlic was good for you--- but didn't realize HOW good, and that it MUST BE RAW to be effective.

The books say you can swallow the cloves of garlic---- but I just peeled them and suffed them in bread-- then ate em'!
Also, lots of fluid... Particuraly HOT fluid (since no fever) take hot baths and hot liquids, to trigger immune response to fight infection.
(little tid-bits of info)... try it out.

Love,
cess
Old 10-08-2009, 05:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Cold and flu has hit my northern neck of the woods too and I am being more cautious these days, hoping to avoid it, although that's unlikely to go the whole season. I usually get one good one and sometimes early in the season is better so it's "out of the way" before holidays.

I have heard more than one doctor say that if we take 1000 mg. Vitamin D which is the standard dose (there is less sunshine this time of year to give it to us naturally) and wash our hands 10 times a day, our odds of avoiding cold and flu go up somewhere around 80% !! Works for me. I was very sick last winter, ended up in the hospital with pneumonia, and I am more determined than ever to stay well this year.

Sending hugs to all those who are already suffering and hope you feel better soon. <---non contagious

PS I didn't know that there was such a thing as a pneumonia vaccine but am getting my shot in a week or so, as soon as my doctor gets it in his office.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

lol please keep away... I haven't caught this... yet. My kids have, but I have been so lucky as to avoid it! So sorry you all have been hit but *sanitizes hands and puts on protective mask* keep away. lol
Old 10-08-2009, 07:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'll jump on the whine wagon! I went to see my doctor a couple of weeks ago and had fluid behind my ears (which explained the increasing headaches) and pretty congested sinuses. He suggested getting some of the generic Claritin, and if it didn't clear up, come back in.

I went back yesterday, fluid still behind the ears, still more headaches, and now inside my nose is raw on one side and bleeds when I blow it! I've got to pick up a script for steroids today to try and dry all that fluid up.

So, you're not alone in your misery! :ghug2 :ghug2
Old 10-08-2009, 08:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true.

Cessy,

I totally agree with you about the garlic! I think the actual garlic from the produce section at the grocery store is more effective but there are garlic pills you can take too that reduce the garlicy smell for you.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Sounds like my husband has what you have, Cessy. He almost never takes a sick day and he actually did.

I hauled his behind into the MD....no fever, clean strep culture and advise to drink fluids and get rest.

I think it's good stuff that some MDs are not whipping out the script pad and prescribing antibiotics, when it's viral.

He can't seem to shake this...the chest cough and all persists.

I got a flu shot and will probably not pursue the H1N1, when and if available to the general public. I am not a high risk group and the thought of an untested vaccination does not sit well, with me, right now.

In any event, it seems the cold/flu season has started early this year.
It sucks to be sick and miserable.
Old 10-08-2009, 02:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I know how you feel Cess....I am sitting here drinking a hot toddy trying to do anything to clear this up. I should try the garlic. I thought it was my allergies acting up last weekend and now it has turned into a full blown cold. I still feel pretty good no aches or pains but my head feels like its about to explode.

I was reading on the internet and saw that hot toddies are good for colds. Out of sheer curiosity I thought I would give it a shot. I changed it a bit and still sipping it so cross your fingers maybe this will do the trick.
Old 10-08-2009, 03:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm sorry you're not feeling well. There's some awful stuff spreading around here. It seems like people are sick for an unusually long time. Get plenty of fluids and rest.
Old 10-08-2009, 04:14 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hey ya'll, well--- here's my research and subsuquent findings:

I did everything, (including vitamin c, rest, fluids, chix soup, motrin, etc.) 3 wks -0 results.

HOWEVER!! I'm feeling great today, (world of difference) after 2 nights of the above methods---(meaning the garlic, and hot hot baths... (even heating pad till I started doseing off, Just to get my body to mimic a fever and kill the virus).

I pray it stays away!!!!!!!

I hope everyone stays well, and gets better soon.

Sending prayers and hugs.

(freedom, got many things for your situation in my little handy dandy book.) 1.) Boil fresh eucalypts (sp) and put head over steaming pot with towel draped over your head for as long as you can stand.
2) SEA SALT diluted.... (8 oz water to 1/8 tea. of sea salt, NON idonized) put in a sterile squirt bottle and rince nasal passages thououghly!!!!
KEEP ANY AIR IN HOUSE MOIST!!!!
mmmm......... I know I have more, I'll check back ltr.

Love,
cess
Old 10-08-2009, 04:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congratulations for posting something that did not revolve around your guy.
Old 10-08-2009, 04:55 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I thought is was allergies, headaches for the last two weeks, now a full-blown cold. Maybe I'll try the garlic.
Old 10-08-2009, 05:18 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Today I dragged but into the therapist's office. She also has a great alternative medicine healing center. She told me to buy a nettie pot and use it. I dutifully bought it and bought non iodized salt for it. Going to try it out. She swears by this and says she used to have awful sinus problems but since using her nettie pot she hasn't had a problem with a head cold or sinus infection in years.
I will try this and then I will give that garlic a go. I got the giggles thinking we were warding off vampires with this but I have heard garlic works. I am almost ready to do the "garlic test". I hope we all get over this soon.
Old 10-08-2009, 05:37 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I am wiping my keyboard with alchol right now so I dont catch it LOL.
Old 10-08-2009, 06:13 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hey Cess, thanks for the suggestions! Too bad I can't access the sea salt or fresh eucalyptus here in this podunk one-horse town!
Old 10-08-2009, 06:47 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Freedom1990 View Post
Hey Cess, thanks for the suggestions! Too bad I can't access the sea salt or fresh eucalyptus here in this podunk one-horse town!
The sea salt you should be able to find in your grocery store--- same dept. as the regular salt, just make sure it's non idonized!! Feel better soon freedom!!
Old 10-10-2009, 05:10 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Cessy are you feeling better?

I still feel run down and exhausted. Everything feels harder and impossible. I hope this goes away soooooooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnn.
Old 10-10-2009, 06:57 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Been sick for a few weeks also, Hope you are feeling better!