Haunted...

Old 09-25-2009, 11:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
On a tear

Haunted...

This is a bad week, for me. I've been alone with the boys this week, as Mr. Big is working out of town. The boys are two and three years old, neither is potty trained, yet. The littlest bit got a fever and really bad diarrhea Tuesday night - his little bottom was raw and he had tummy cramps and couldn't do much but cry. Poor baby. We were both up for two nights in a row.

I lost my cellphone - can't find the damned thing anywhere.

My printer died, and I had to dig through a ton of packed up office stuff to find my other one, which immediately ran out of ink.

Got a check for house cleaning, but the credit union wouldn't cash it because I didn't have a business account. Four (count them) meetings later, bringing in multiple pieces of paper - none of which it turned out was required - they finally got the damned account open so I could cash the check.

Got lots of mail this week -

Denied unemployment - letter stating why I was fired being reviewed.

Denied child care - no reason, except that my work schedule changed, although it turns out the daycare allotment has been based on Mr. Big working the entire time. Two days and many hours sitting in DSHS finally cleared that up.

Denied food stamps - couldn't find a way to "prove" my mortgage. It is paid entirely online, is currently in foreclosure and in bankruptcy. After more hours at DSHS, I finally took in my bankruptcy papers (tons of them) to show how much I am paying on it.

Denied health care through Mr. Big's work - after having this insurance since 1985, suddenly they want "proof" we are married. So I dug out my old tax forms (from a failed hard drive recovery disk... not easy to find!) and printed (once I bought new ink!) a copy of the page that shows I am a spouse.

Every day, without much sleep, I was dealing with crap, crud and bs. Then I went to visit my kid in jail. OMG. She is in such bad shape. She was incarcerataed on August 17... this is September 20, a full month later. She is still paranoid, unable to focus, unable to be coherent, unable to concentrate and her responses to any question were mean. She was never mean before.

When I finally started crying, she was laughing and couldn't seem to stop... she is not that sort of a person. And this is a month since she has used at all.

The jail administrator had met with me before, asking if she had a mental health history, and I told him no. But that was all - nothing more. So I asked to meet with him this week and requested a mental health evaluation. He said it had to be done through her attorney - which was court ordered, and I don't have his name. So the administrator said he would talk to him... but I thought he was going to do that before, and nothing happened.

My brain is just spinning... what if she never recovers? She can't function like this, and if released in this condition, she will die. Absolutely, no doubt in my mind. And if she doesn't die... what then? She will just wander the streets.

I know I am future tripping. I know I am "worst-case scenario"ing. I need to get to a meeting, and have one today. But my faith is slipping... I am having those thoughts again - what if we are all wrong and there is nothing out there? What if "letting go and letting God" only works because most addicts are basically healthy and resilient? What about those who are not? What about those who have progressed so far they can no longer help themselves?

Thank you for reading this. Typing this out helps me address what is going on with me, and reinforces the fact that I no longer have a sponsor and haven't been going to meetings. I can fix the latter today and put up a prayer that the right person comes into my life.

What a week.
Old 09-25-2009, 11:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Holy Schmoly, Sis, this is more than most people handle in a lifetime.

You are one of the brightest people I know, so I know you'll get through this, but I sure wish you lived next door because I'd bring over the biggest cheesecake on earth and we'd eat the entire thing. I know that wouldn't solve anything but what harm?

When life becomes too big to handle, something that helps me is to break it all into bits and handle one bit at a time...and take time-outs just for you to catch your breath in between.

I am so sorry about your daughter. I think it's good that you are trying to get her assessed, and it's something she cannot do for herself right now. Keeping her in my prayers always, and you too.

And sharing my candle until you can find yours again. That's was friends are for.

Big Hugs and Lotsa Love
Old 09-25-2009, 11:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi BigSis... I hope this helps some...

Originally Posted by BigSis View Post
This is a bad week, for me. I've been alone with the boys this week, as Mr. Big is working out of town. The boys are two and three years old, neither is potty trained, yet. The littlest bit got a fever and really bad diarrhea Tuesday night - his little bottom was raw and he had tummy cramps and couldn't do much but cry. Poor baby. We were both up for two nights in a row.

I lost my cellphone - can't find the damned thing anywhere.
With the week you are having, this may be a good thing. If one call comes through that thing with drama.. you just might snap. Embrace the peace.

My printer died, and I had to dig through a ton of packed up office stuff to find my other one, which immediately ran out of ink.

Got a check for house cleaning, but the credit union wouldn't cash it because I didn't have a business account. Four (count them) meetings later, bringing in multiple pieces of paper - none of which it turned out was required - they finally got the damned account open so I could cash the check.

Lots of road blocks to endure... but the blessing is... you got it done.

Got lots of mail this week -

Denied unemployment - letter stating why I was fired being reviewed.

It's not a done deal yet... they are still reviewing it.

Denied child care - no reason, except that my work schedule changed, although it turns out the daycare allotment has been based on Mr. Big working the entire time. Two days and many hours sitting in DSHS finally cleared that up.

Again, another roadblock but you jumped right over it.

Denied food stamps - couldn't find a way to "prove" my mortgage. It is paid entirely online, is currently in foreclosure and in bankruptcy. After more hours at DSHS, I finally took in my bankruptcy papers (tons of them) to show how much I am paying on it.

Another road block, but you managed to get through this one also.

Denied health care through Mr. Big's work - after having this insurance since 1985, suddenly they want "proof" we are married. So I dug out my old tax forms (from a failed hard drive recovery disk... not easy to find!) and printed (once I bought new ink!) a copy of the page that shows I am a spouse.

Another roadblock but yet again there is no stopping Big Sis. You get it done and you had enough energy to get some ink.

Every day, without much sleep, I was dealing with crap, crud and bs.
Join the club.... I have figured this is life. I just have to deal with the lack of sleep, crap, crud and BS in a way that I keep my sanity. Take time for yourself amungst all of this chaos. Some days are more difficult than others.

Then I went to visit my kid in jail. OMG. She is in such bad shape. She was incarcerataed on August 17... this is September 20, a full month later. She is still paranoid, unable to focus, unable to be coherent, unable to concentrate and her responses to any question were mean. She was never mean before.

When I finally started crying, she was laughing and couldn't seem to stop... she is not that sort of a person. And this is a month since she has used at all.

It sounds like whatever she is going through is beyond your control. Can you put visitations off on the days you are experiencing other chaos?

The jail administrator had met with me before, asking if she had a mental health history, and I told him no. But that was all - nothing more. So I asked to meet with him this week and requested a mental health evaluation. He said it had to be done through her attorney - which was court ordered, and I don't have his name. So the administrator said he would talk to him... but I thought he was going to do that before, and nothing happened.

My brain is just spinning... what if she never recovers? She can't function like this, and if released in this condition, she will die. Absolutely, no doubt in my mind. And if she doesn't die... what then? She will just wander the streets.

Big Sis, I hear your pain, however, you have NO control over what will happen to her. If she is diagnosed with mental health issues, then the jail will make sure she is receiving treatment. If she chooses to not seek treatment after getting out of jail, what will you do to prepare yourself for this? What are your boundaries?

I know I am future tripping. I know I am "worst-case scenario"ing. I need to get to a meeting, and have one today. This sounds like a good idea. I would go with you but that's not possible. HUGSBut my faith is slipping... I am having those thoughts again (What thoughts are these? If you aren't feeling safe, do you have a place to go?) - what if we are all wrong and there is nothing out there? What if "letting go and letting God" only works because most addicts are basically healthy and resilient? What about those who are not? What about those who have progressed so far they can no longer help themselves?

Re-read this section above again. The set of questions you are asking NOONE has the answer to. NO ONE. You are creating anxiety over something you cannot control.

Thank you for reading this. Typing this out helps me address what is going on with me, and reinforces the fact that I no longer have a sponsor and haven't been going to meetings. I can fix the latter today and put up a prayer that the right person comes into my life.
What a week.
Whew! Take some deep breaths. I agree, going to an Al-Anon meeting will help. Seek that support and you know you always have it here.

Work on what's too much for you and let some of this go for now. You don't have to do everything in one day. Take it in stride.

BIG HUGS and prayers
Old 09-25-2009, 12:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Wow. I'm impressed with the eloquence that you were able to describe the CR@P you are dealing with right now.

Hang in there. Don't lose hope big sis.

Do you believe in God? This poem always makes me feel a little bit better. I hope it gives you a little comfort too.

One night I had a dream--
I dreamed I was walking along the beach with the Lord
and across the sky flashed scenes from my life.
For each scene I noticed two sets of footprints,
one belonged to me and the other to the Lord.
When the last scene of my life flashed before me,
I looked back at the footprints in the sand.
I noticed that many times along the path of my life,
there was only one set of footprints.
I also noticed that it happened at the very lowest
and saddest times in my life.
This really bothered me and I questioned the Lord about it.
"Lord, you said that once I decided to follow you,
you would walk with me all the way,
but I have noticed that during the most troublesome times in my life
there is only one set of footprints.
"I don't understand why in times when I needed you most,
you should leave me."
The Lord replied, "My precious, precious child,
I love you and I would never, never leave you
during your times of trial and suffering.
"When you saw only one set of footprints,
it was then that I carried you."
Old 09-25-2009, 12:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Keep hangin in there, At least it's Friday!!!

Meetings always help me. Sounds like Murphy's law has gotten you this week. Next week will be better.

Hope you have a good weekend. Take a long relaxing bath, and read a Dean Koontz book while your in the tub. I do this, and I always feel better when I come out a prune!

Sorry you are having a difficult time.
Old 09-25-2009, 12:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
cmc

Aw Sis.... I can't imagine what if feels like for you as I'm not standing in your shoes but I _know_ you have the tools, experience and the strength to handle whatever comes your way. That said, I can honestly say from my own experience that doesn't always make it easier---but it almost always makes things better to some degree.

I'm praying for you and about all you have shared here. I'm so glad you are working on nurturing your self and seeking support here and f2f too. **********************************{BigSis}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

btw I heard a little phrase the other day that came to mind when reading your post. It helped me clear up some of thoughts and feelings swirling around in my own mind:
"Believe your beliefs and doubt your doubts."
Old 09-25-2009, 12:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

WOW,
big sis, what a week........As i am reading this, i have to admit that it brought back memories. The first part of your post with your printer, the ink, etc....... I have had the pleasure of moving many times, and at point break, i can relate.
Now, as for your daughter, sending good thoughts and prayers. I hope that you can be persistent in your request for evalutaion. I realize it is hard with 2 little ones, but at times like these, it is ok to ask for help from your friends and family. We tend to want to tackle the world, especially when times are overwhelming. It is hard for us to ask, but your are human Sis.......You seem to have the right momentum going, one task at a time............It will all fall in place.
Good luck
Old 09-25-2009, 01:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Sis, Sending you a BIG, BIG HUG!!!
Old 09-25-2009, 02:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Oh good gosh Sis, that's too much for 3 or 4 people to handle, let alone just one! I guess the good news is that you're on the other side of a bunch of this crud. It sounds like your AD will get the evaluation she needs, those sweet grandbabies have you to take care of them, and you're somewhat on top of the paperwork mountain.

We're here to hold your hand thru the scary parts, and to surround you in prayer. When you go to your next meeting, make sure there are enough chairs as we'll all be with you in spirit.

Hugs, prayers, love
Cats
Old 09-25-2009, 06:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

In the midst of all the junk that was thrown at you, I see you getting through it and conquering. Give yourself a pat on the back for that - a huge accomplishment!

What if "letting go and letting God" only works because most addicts are basically healthy and resilient?
I don't view letting go and letting God as meaning that if I will stop trying to control things, God will make my addict better. Sometimes that is the outcome but sometimes it isn't. For me, letting go and letting God meant placing myself in her hands...acknowledging that I did not have all the answers and asking for help, then trusting that the help would come, however it was packaged. I had to stop trying to predict the future and let her know that I needed her power - that power greater than me, to get through today. For me, that always works.

Lots of hugs and prayers for you and your daughter...and those precious little ones too. Hope you can get some rest this weekend.
Old 09-25-2009, 07:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Clever Yak

Huge hugs to you..
Old 09-25-2009, 08:05 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

(((((BigSis)))))

Girl I have had you on my mind so much. Reading what you wrote about what's going on with you confirms that I have reason to have you on my mind. Times are tough and it looks like we are going be in it for the long haul. I have been having a really hard time too and I know how it feels. 'Cept I don't have any little ones to take care of on top of it so I know you have it extra tough right now.

You are out there fighting like the warrior I have always known you to be. I hope getting to a meeting will help you. I hope you will stay connected here too I have missed you so much!!! I hope you will take good care of yourself and even though you are tough I know you still need a little tenderness so be gentle with yourself.

(((((((((GIANTHUGS))))))))))) and prayer going out for you
Old 09-26-2009, 12:35 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
On a tear

"Believe in my beliefs and doubt my doubts"

Now that one is getting written in the front of my Courage to Change... right along with all the pithy, helpful, true and pointed words that have helped me so much over the years.

Thank you, all of you, for loving me through this. The meeting helped. I will have myself another one soon. The Jail Administrator emailed me tonight (isn't that thoughtful, after work and everything) to give me the name of my daughter's attorney and to wish me the best.
Old 09-26-2009, 02:39 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
learning to live for me

BigSis,
I just sent up a special prayer for you and all you love/care about. I have faith that you will get through this. We're here for you. Keep us updated and take care of yourself.
Old 09-26-2009, 03:43 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

:ghug2

Oh Wow, what a march through bureaucracy! I'm sure you must be glad that at least most of it is over!

I completely understand that sorrow of wondering if an addict child is capable of living on his/her own even if drugs were not involved. My fiance and I feel the same way about his AS. This young man hasn't gotten to the point where an assessment seems like an obious answer, though.

You have my thoughts and prayers. I hope that things have gotten a bit better! Huge hugs!!! HG
Old 09-26-2009, 07:41 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Well ................................................. sounds to me like life really sent you some curve balls this past week and MURPHY was at his best also screwing things up.

What really impresses and impressed me in your whole litany is .......................... you used your tools and just KEPT TRUDGING through the muck and mire and alligators! Now that is RECOVERY IN ACTION!!!!

WOW!!!!

I hope the little ones are feeling better and the youngest is now past the diarrhea and his poor bottom is healing!

I am sending prayers for you and your family for some peace and serenity.

I hope you can get to a meeting or two for you this weekend. I believe you will find a sponsor when the time is right!

You are doing good. You have just shown a whole bunch of folks how to 'keep trudgin' when the going is 'rough.'

Thank you for sharing.

Love and hugs,
Old 09-26-2009, 02:19 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
To Life!

((((Deane))))

That's a lot on your plate, for sure. :sorry
Your recovery is strong, and you know what you need to do.
I'm glad you're here, sharing your struggles and getting what you need for moral support.
And I know you'll find a sponsor soon. You are one of the strongest people I know, but, even the strongest need a helping hand now and then.
So, keep on coming. We're here for you.
:praying

Shalom, my friend...Shalom!
Old 09-26-2009, 05:19 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Sending you and your family some mega hugs and mega prayers, BigSis. If anyone can make it through the crap and out to the other side, it is you. You have always been my hero. Hugs, Marle
Old 09-27-2009, 06:26 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
grateful rca

bigsis, you are in my thoughts and prayers. praying that this will soon pass.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:49 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Southern through and through

(((((((((((((((((((((((((SIS)))))))))))))))))))))) ))))))

Glad you found that meeting. Nothing like recovering friends, like "God with skin on em,to encourage you.

In the meantime, just know you have prayers for you and yours coming from the "other" coast. You HP IS in the middle of all of this and knows exactly what is going on. He will be there for you. Hang tight to what your program has taught you. The "promises" come true. You've proved that to me over and over.

Take a load off, Sis, and jump back on the recovery wagon and let it carry you.

Hugs, love and prayers,
Hangin' In