Notices

feedback please

Old 09-13-2009, 03:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

feedback please

im 43 and i got to stop this addiction.

now do i get patches...or inhaler thingys.....lozengers.

or the dreaded cold turkey.

whats your take?......how did the majority stop?..

40 a day ish........since 15..

any newcomers got some advice?.....

i spend long periods in the truck smoking.......what am i gonna do instead?
Old 09-13-2009, 04:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
One Foot in Front of the Other

I did best with the patch. Chantix made me a madman, I think due to the fact that it messes with the neurotransmitters as do the antidepressants I was on. Not a good mix. Your mileage may vary. I can say that the Chantix worked like a charm, I just couldn't handle the emotional effects.

Once you get through the nicotine withdrawals, the most difficult challenges are dealing with the oral fixation, and/or the feeling of having that cigarette in you hand. These issues weren't that huge for me. I've heard that you can cut a stick pen down to the length of a cigarette, and hold that between your fingers if you feel the need. Never tried that method so I can't vouch for its effectiveness. Gum and hard candy can be of some help as well.

Anyway, after the Chantix debacle I'm back to smoking. So I really have to hand it to you for tackling this addiction. It's a tough one. I don't think I'm going to be able to quit until I can get my issues with beer and anxiety/depression better sorted out.

Godspeed!
Old 09-16-2009, 06:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Actually,

I've had my best luck quitting in the signs

best days to stop smoking

September: 4th, 7th, 8th, 11th, 12th, 15th, 16th, 17th

October: 4th, 5th, 8th, 9th, 13th, 14th, 15th, 16th, 17th

November: 2nd

I just have to keep my daily routine like I do for AA though or, I pick up the habit again by being around certain people , places or things
Old 09-16-2009, 07:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Meow

When I quit ten years ago, the only options were the patch, the gum and that one anti-depressant (I forget the name). I tried them all. (BTW, I had smoked for 17 years and was up to about a pack 3/4 a day.)

I reacted badly to the anti-depressant, but that was just me. My MIL quit successfully using it.

The gum was ok, but it gave me a really upset stomach. It also gave me more freedom to cheat because I didn't have to wait all that long after having the gum if I wanted to smoke.

So, I tried the patch and that's what ended up working for me. The cravings, even with the patch, were pretty strong the first few days. After that, there were none until I stepped down to the next lower dosage, and even then, those weren't bad at all. I have very sensitive skin, and was worried about reacting to the patch, but I only had the normal redness where the patch was which went away soon after it was removed. I wore it all night too, and did not have problems with nightmares. I understand that some people did.

I used to smoke menthol, so I was also addicted to the mint. I chewed mint sugar-free bubble gum (I have no idea if they even make it any more) like it was going out of style. Also, Altoids (a type of mint candy) became my friend. To this day, I still have them in my car and often pop a couple in my mouth when I start my drive to work.

If weight gain is an issue for you, be very careful with your diet and exercise. I gained 25 pounds that I am still carrying around. Blah.

As for the behavioral part, same as quitting drinking. Remove yourself from others who smoke if at all possible (I couldn't - hubby still smokes). Replace the smoking habit with other habits. Talk yourself through the cravings and urges to smoke using positive thoughts etc.

Good luck! Nicotine is one nasty, physically addicting drug. I couldn't have done it cold turkey, but then again I am a wimp.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PurpleCat View Post
When I quit ten years ago, the only options were the patch, the gum and that one anti-depressant (I forget the name). I tried them all. (BTW, I had smoked for 17 years and was up to about a pack 3/4 a day.)

I reacted badly to the anti-depressant, but that was just me. My MIL quit successfully using it.

The gum was ok, but it gave me a really upset stomach. It also gave me more freedom to cheat because I didn't have to wait all that long after having the gum if I wanted to smoke.

So, I tried the patch and that's what ended up working for me. The cravings, even with the patch, were pretty strong the first few days. After that, there were none until I stepped down to the next lower dosage, and even then, those weren't bad at all. I have very sensitive skin, and was worried about reacting to the patch, but I only had the normal redness where the patch was which went away soon after it was removed. I wore it all night too, and did not have problems with nightmares. I understand that some people did.

I used to smoke menthol, so I was also addicted to the mint. I chewed mint sugar-free bubble gum (I have no idea if they even make it any more) like it was going out of style. Also, Altoids (a type of mint candy) became my friend. To this day, I still have them in my car and often pop a couple in my mouth when I start my drive to work.

If weight gain is an issue for you, be very careful with your diet and exercise. I gained 25 pounds that I am still carrying around. Blah.

As for the behavioral part, same as quitting drinking. Remove yourself from others who smoke if at all possible (I couldn't - hubby still smokes). Replace the smoking habit with other habits. Talk yourself through the cravings and urges to smoke using positive thoughts etc.

Good luck! Nicotine is one nasty, physically addicting drug. I couldn't have done it cold turkey, but then again I am a wimp.
You are no whimp! Congrats on the quit.
Regarding the 25 pounds of weight gain, while we may not feel good about it, the stress on the body from that is nowhere near the stress that smoking puts on the heart, lungs and other parts of the body. The benefits of quiting smoking regardless if we gain weight far exceed the alternative of remaining a smoker.
Congrats again!
p.s. anyone who shares with a public forum and works hard to fight the grips of a very addictive drug is no wimp!
Old 09-16-2009, 10:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Cold turkey IS NOT AS BAD AS PEOPLE THINK IT IS! It does not hurt at all, there is no physical pain. It is all in your head and if you truly WANT to stop you can do it cold turkey.

I found that Allen Carr's book "the easy way to quit smoking" to help me tremendously. When I had my last cigarette I knew it was my LAST cigarette.

I have been feeling progressively better with each passing day. There was no need for anything but a few words of encouragement by Mr. Carr.

If you want to try it send me a P.M., I will send you the link to the book.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by trucker View Post
im 43 and i got to stop this addiction.

now do i get patches...or inhaler thingys.....lozengers.

or the dreaded cold turkey.

whats your take?......how did the majority stop?..

40 a day ish........since 15..

any newcomers got some advice?.....

i spend long periods in the truck smoking.......what am i gonna do instead?
Nicotine Anonymous, free phone conference call meetings, perfect for when you are driving. Nicotine Anonymous Online Meetings List- Internet meetings for Nicotine Anonymous a 12 Step Program offering support to those who want to quit cigarettes and quit smoking and stop other forms of tobacco and nicotine addiction. Formerly smokers anonym

Great article from a old time trucker who quit cold turkey a few years ago at age 60! related information is here: Lose, don't excuse - Truckers News

Another good little source of information is here related to truckers in general regarding smoking: How Any Trucker Can Finally Stop Smoking : The Trucker Blog

Congrats on taking the steps to retake control of your life from tobacco!!

Not only are you going to feel better health wise but your going to have about 14 dollars a day in extra money! Thats almost $100 a week extra cash, $400 a month! Almost $5,000 (five thousand!!!!!) EXTRA DOLLARS A YEAR! AWESOME! Thats a nice vacation each year or a water craft vehicle or who knows what else!
Old 09-16-2009, 10:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Originally Posted by CAPTAINZING2000 View Post
I just have to keep my daily routine like I do for AA though or, I pick up the habit again by being around certain people , places or things
I gave up smokeless tobacco two months before I stopped drinking, they'd both ruled my life for almost 27 years. I have no idea how I managed to do it without a plan or program of recovery, but abstinence does work. I posted my progress daily on a forum, and used the horror stories on whyquit.com for further motivation. Just as Wartrace shared, I knew that I was done, I wanted a healthy life, not the alternative.

I still get the cravings once in awhile, that's when I use the principles and Steps I've learned in the program, and I come to places like Sober Recovery for inspiration and support.
Old 09-16-2009, 11:18 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

ive been sober for almost 18 months and have tried to seriously quit about 5 times. For me, its the same as stopping drinking and using. When i try to stop smoking, i start the same mental process as i did getting sober. its very hard cause it does bring me back to that scary place in a way. i made it 23 days and started smoking again. the obsession to smoke, was just not going away. i dont know. i didnt get sober the first time i tried, so im gonna just keep at it. good luck
Old 09-16-2009, 11:20 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

just
Old 09-16-2009, 12:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberat23 View Post
ive been sober for almost 18 months and have tried to seriously quit about 5 times. For me, its the same as stopping drinking and using. When i try to stop smoking, i start the same mental process as i did getting sober. its very hard cause it does bring me back to that scary place in a way. i made it 23 days and started smoking again. the obsession to smoke, was just not going away. i dont know. i didnt get sober the first time i tried, so im gonna just keep at it. good luck
Congrats on keeping up your attempts to stay free from the dangerous drug nicotine. It is truly shows us just how powerful it is when we try and stop using it. If only Bill Wilson and the thousands of other smoking AA's would have known back in the day perhaps they would have been with us longer.
Fortunately we no longer have the excuse of ignorance to the dangers and addictiveness of Cigarettes and nicotine.

I have a great link that has really helped me give up smoking/nicotine, I hope it helps you as much as it helped me.

"Glory Week"

The First 72 Hours - Navigating Withdrawal - - Understanding Dependency, Its Costs & Recovery - Freedom from Nicotine -
Old 09-17-2009, 12:58 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Meow

Originally Posted by soberat23 View Post
I think it took me at least four tries to quit between August and the following February, when it finally stuck. I had flirted with quitting earlier that year too with no success.
Old 09-17-2009, 07:43 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Power is not having to respond

I have tried everything, the patch where I would last a total of 10 days,
Welbutrin where I would last a few days
Chantix where I lasted 3 months, but once off it, I started smoking again.
Now the gum. Amazingly the gum works for me.
I am at 52 days. I smoked for 35 years.
You can quit if you really want to.