Notices

Introduction

Old 09-13-2009, 09:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Introduction

Hello Everyone,

I have already posted a few times already, but I am here to learn more about the ins and outs of addiction. I want to learn for two reasons:

1) Because I was trained to be a social worker and have worked some with at-risk populations (even though I am not in social work currently). I am currently thinking of doing volunteer work that might involve those with addiction.

2) Because I just broke up with someone who had addiction issues and I didn't know how to handle it or what I was dealing with.

I come from a family who's addiction of choice was food. This was my choice as well a few times in my life and was always battling the 10-15 extra pounds, but have gained as much as 60 pounds and isolated myself and fell into depression on a few occasions. Since then, I've used food less and started as a light smoker of clove cigarettes way back in the early 90s.

Currently, I drink almost every day, sometimes just one glass sometimes three, sometimes none. Until I met my boyfriend, I was only drinking on the weekend with friends and then only had one or two. I started to drink daily after being with my boyfriend a year or so and it really bothered me since I had never done that. I am working to get back to the way I was as he was a bad influence on me. I think it is just a bad habit I need to break and am working on that now.

Anyway, one thing I did want to say is, and I hope this doesn't sound cliche-ish is it is truly amazing to me how you all can work toward recovery, full or partial. Seriously, I have had my own mild addictions and had big problems with that, I can't even imagine using more or with heavier stuff and trying to stop that. So, you all must have found some strength and resources within yourselves as well as gotten some help from loved ones/friends. I wish the best to all of you and my heart does go out to each and everyone of you that struggles on many levels.

I hope to earn your trust. Thank you.
Old 09-13-2009, 11:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR! If you've decided to stop drinking you can find a lot of support and understanding here. Glad you joined the family!
Old 09-13-2009, 11:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

........welcome to you....im glad your here with us.
Old 09-13-2009, 12:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

to SR Inquisitive7
Old 09-13-2009, 12:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

You will find lots of good information here and lots of support, too.
Old 09-13-2009, 02:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

Welcome to the Sober Recovery community.
Old 09-13-2009, 02:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hello!

This is my opinion. Addiction (of any sort), begins to create a person that is not yourself sober. Sounds fairly rediumentary, but once a person begins to create this "other" person, they find it difficult to deal with the anti-thesis of that "other," or their sober self (which is the natural state of any individual). This is where the prolem really lies. People try to reconcile this "other" with their natural state. This is highly problematic. This is because when you introduce an outside substance (alcohol, narcotics, food, etc.), and the individual becomes dependent on it then it skews the natural progression of their mental and emotional state. Correcting this path has birthed the rehab and detox markets, and brings us to where we are right now.

Hey, I hope you remedy your semi-drinking problem, and it is interesting that you are interested in the realm of social work while not working in it.

Good luck, and keep posting!
Old 09-13-2009, 03:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for the warm welcome. Fortunately for me, I've always been interested in psychology, counseling, support groups, reading books, etc. - I think I've tried everything and always tried to improve myself. This is how I have moved through some tough times alone.

One thing I would like to add is one of the things that was most helpful to me was any type of body work (sacred dance, acupuncture, massage, exercise, hiking in nature, etc.). It helped to bypass the mental and go straight to the subconscious. It is actually a very powerful healing force. I am reading a book currently about how body work heals past traumatic events - it's a new field that is gaining recognition.
Old 09-13-2009, 03:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Owner of a strange glitch.

Welcome, Inquisitive!

Interesting that you'd been exposed to milder, as you say, addictions and chose to go into social work/ psychology, counseling, support groups, etc.

I was exposed from a very early age to non-mild addiction (alcohol and heroin, daddy and mommy respectively) and I have always actively avoided those areas of interest as much as I possibly could.

But welcome, anyways.

-TB,
Old 09-13-2009, 03:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

thirtybubba, I come from a dysfunctional family who also had a double-whammy of mental illness. Both have affected me to some degree and I knew from an early age that the only way out was in. I was determined to have some sort of quality of life and not let my parents and biology totally define me - that I was much more. This is why I chose to heal myself in any way possible - traditional and non-traditional. Many things can work...a varietal buffet of healing tools - from trance dancing to talk therapy. I like the fact I can tune in to what I need and chose from this buffet at any given time.

Maybe you avoided these things because you knew there was too much to heal and didn't want to deal with it. If you are male, that is even more difficulty because you are socialized not to be weak and seek help. Unfortunately, I believe what you resist, persists. No short cuts. Brutal honesty. I find facing and accepting what is very powerful. You can no longer hide, but since you accept responsibility it is comforting to know change is solely up to you and something you can chose to control. Hope you aren't taking this personally, these are just the beliefs I try to live by...easier said than done.
Old 09-13-2009, 04:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Inquisitive -
I hope you find what you're looking for here

Good luck with getting back to normal drinking patterns.
D
Old 09-13-2009, 04:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Inquisitive, I don't take offense easily, and this doesn't even come close.

I guess I just always figured I was doomed anyways... wasn't just parents addicted (don't know about mental health--psychology not popular in my family), but aunts, uncles, grandparents. As I grew up, siblings, and later, two of my nephews, and it took one of them all the way to the end before he graduated.

It was a hurricane bearing down from the south, a tornado from the west, a cold front from the north, and a tsunami from the east... and nowhere to go... I didn't want to understand it. Now I have to face it, in order to deal with what I'm facing, and as such I have delved into these areas, but it's a scary place for me.

I'm female, but also raised not to be weak--it's the woman's job to take care of everything with a smile, right? And independent... no need to get others involved, it's family issues, the priest *maybe*--big maybe. And so on.

Yeah, I agree with you here, and I've been working on it for about a year, but fear is taking its toll. That and lack of finances to see counselors... although in October I come up on a year unemployed, so maybe they'll waive a fee in the county clinic.

Sorry for the hijack...

-TB, dang it, always sorry for something or other...
Old 09-13-2009, 06:15 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

@thirtybubba, haha, I understand the women's job to take care of everything. I was a struggling single parent for many years...weathered that one.

I say "so what about one's past!" Fooey to that! You have the choice to now change that. You ARE in independent person in with world, aside from your family and their legacy of addictions. And yes, one usually doesn't do that alone. And money can be an issue. But, quite truthfully, I found healing for very little money at times. I have also been to county clinics for meds - BTW, they usually offer support groups too. I went to one that had a very valuable support group about how to stop distorted thinking. I don't necessarily think traditional modalities are the only way to heal. Frankly, some of the dance and trance work I've done has been incredibly healing - a sweat lodge I didn't recently helped detox my body and mind. Most of those were free or very low cost. You might also seek help outside the normal avenues. Just a thought...to me, it is about filling the void with healthier things (spirituality, friendship, productivity, etc.), increasing personal awareness, behavior modification, and, if needed, medication. All things contribute to healing the whole person.

A funny thing about fear...just embrace and acknowledge it, but don't attach to it. There have been some times I've been in so much fear and depression...I distinctly remember one day -- I was taking a walk during a beautiful day and I was so overwhelmed with fear being unemployed, having a small child to support, being in a depression, no relationship, no family around...being so alone. I remember just owning my feelings and embracing all the pain and fear I felt instead of shunning it. It all of a sudden transformed and a calm centeredness came over me. I then moved into the present and admired how beautiful the day was. It was a life altering experience for me in how I approached fear and pain. Still, I am not perfect and do still get caught up in it all. It takes constant focus not to fall down the cliff at times.

I hope you can find the resources you need to continue on your path. You sound like an incredibly strong and insightful woman. Don't let your family's legacy define you.
Old 09-13-2009, 06:46 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Oh, I don't let it bother me now... I was just referring to my earlier reluctance to learn anything about these types of social sciences, contrasting it with your easily falling into them.

Nowadays I'm a graduating senior in a college most of the way across the country, and my minor requires me to take all sorts of classes in these fields.

-TB, still lacking in some of those aspects of healing, but working on it...
Old 09-13-2009, 07:47 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Well you must be doing something right if you're almost a college graduate! haha And now you've had the opportunity to learn from the college required "social science" classes. Just curious, what is your major? Something technical?

Good luck to you, thirtybubba!
Old 09-13-2009, 08:03 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Nope, Poli-Sci--Beh-Sci.

Thanks for the luck, 'could use some sanity too...

Just sayin'.

-TB, back to happy
Old 09-13-2009, 08:12 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

alright, TB, here's a handful of sanity...just open the top of your head and dump it in...a sanity dump just for you!

Humor, gotta have humor - good for the soul!