Acceptance

Old 09-09-2009, 05:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Acceptance

This is an excerpt from a book called Life 101 by Peter McWilliams. This book profoundly changed the way that I see things, and this particular section of the book really gave me lots to think about. I hope someone gets something out of this.

Acceptance

Acceptance is such an important commodity, some have called it "the first law of personal growth."

Acceptance is simply seeing something the way it is and saying, "That's the way it is."

Acceptance is not approval, consent, permission, authorization, sanction, concurrence, agreement, compliance, sympathy, endorsement, confirmation, support, ratification, assistance, advocating, backing, maintaining, authenticating, reinforcing, cultivating, encouraging, furthering, promoting, aiding, abetting, or even liking what is.

Acceptance is saying, "It is what it is, and what is is what is."

Philosophers from Gertrude Stein ("A rose is a rose is a rose") to Popeye ("I am what I am") have understood acceptance.

Until we truly accept everything, we can not see clearly. We will always be looking through the filters of "must's," "should's," "ought-to's," "have-to's," and prejudices.

When reality confronts our notion of what reality should be, reality always wins. (Drop something while believing gravity shouldn't make it fall. It falls anyway.) We don't like this (that is, we have trouble accepting this), so we either struggle with reality and become upset, or turn away from it and become unconscious.

If you find yourself upset or unconscious--or alternating between the two--about something, you might ask yourself, "What am I not accepting?"

Acceptance is not a state of passivity or inaction. I am not saying you can't change the world, right wrongs, or replace evil with good. Acceptance is, in fact, the first step to successful action. If you don't fully accept a situation precisely the way it is, you will have difficulty changing it. Moreover, if you don't fully accept the situation, you will never really know if the situation should be changed.

When you accept, you relax; you let go; you become patient. This is an enjoyable (and effective) place for either participation or departure. To stay and struggle (even for fun things: how many times have you tried really hard to have a good time?), or to run away in disgust and/or fear is not the most fulfilling way to live. One or the other, however, is the inevitable result of nonacceptance.

Take a few moments and consider a situation you are not happy with--not your greatest burden in life, just a simple event about which you feel peeved. Now accept everything about the situation. Let it be the way it is. Because, after all, it is that way, is it not? Also, if you accept it, you will feel better about it.

After accepting it, and everything about it, you probably still won't like it, but you may stop hating and/or fearing it. At least you will hate it or fear it a little less.

That's the true value of acceptance: you feel better about life, and about yourself. Everything I've said about acceptance also applies to things you have done (or failed to do). In fact, everything I've said about acceptance applies especially to your judgments of you.

All the things you think you should have done, and all the things you think you shouldn't have done, accept them. You did (or didn't) do them. That's reality. That's what happened. No changing the past. You can struggle with the past or pretend it didn't happen or you can accept it. I suggest the latter.

When you're in a state of nonacceptance, it's difficult to learn. A clenched fist cannot receive a gift, and a clenched psyche--grasped tightly against the reality of what must not be accepted--cannot easily receive a lesson.

Relax. Accept what's already taken place--whether done by you or something outside of you. Then look for the lesson. You might not enjoy everything that happens in life, but you can enjoy the fact that no matter what happens, "there's a lesson in here someplace."
Old 09-09-2009, 05:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks for this posting. My motto for the last several years has always been, "It is what it is." LOL.
Old 09-09-2009, 05:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
BBD

Sounds good to me...'It is what it is"~~~~and I know I can't control things anymore. That was my biggest problem a few years ago but by being here and therapy I have learned so much. Toooo bad it took almost a lifetime though!!
Old 09-09-2009, 11:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you.

It takes a while to reach acceptance when one is feeling trauma. The body and mind are in survival mode and to see what is true is sometimes too overwhelming, so we let truth in just bit by bit in order to survive what we have to face. This, I think, is God's kindness to us.

But when we are ready, acceptance finally does allow us then to decide what happens next. We can finally act on our own behalf.

Nice piece.