Notices

Two Weeks Sober... Is my liver ok?

Old 09-09-2009, 06:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Two Weeks Sober... Is my liver ok?

The longest I have been sober in 6 years, although the twenty years of hard drinking before didn't help! I feel good and positive with a real energy when I get up to get on with the day and live it to the full. I still have the odd craving and am not ready to test myself so am keeping well clear of triggers. I am realizing that I will never be able to drink again and am really aware of the 'oh I can control my drinking syndrome, let's have a drink' and my mind saying you'll be fine after 6 months. I am getting into the mindset of, no I will not drink anywhere at anytime. It was described to me as a dry river bed... it will always be there, it is up to you to make sure it stays 'dry'.

My liver enzymes are elevated and ironically have gone up more after I stopped drinking. No meds to cause it, I assume that it takes some time for the liver to readjust after being abused for a prolonged period of time (what the quack says)? I am curious to hear about other peoples experience....
Old 09-09-2009, 06:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

You can ask your dr about the liver enzyme tests.

Good for you for getting through two weeks. Yeah, it takes some time for the body to adjust to sobriety.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have no idea. I would discuss your health and your questions at length with your doctor though.

Congrats on 2 weeks!
Old 09-09-2009, 06:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

My enzyme levels returned to normal after 3 months sober, the swelling took about 6 months, but the tenderness was gone in about 2 weeks.

I strongly reccommend that you see your doctor about your liver enzymes. Every one is different, your doctor can tell you if that is normal or not.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

In my case - my liver did recover to some degree. It is still far from 100%. My Doctor says that if I started drinking again it would be worse than ever within a few weeks.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Heathen

I didn't have any liver tests when I was drinking or after I got sober, but I know my body felt a lot better after a few months of sobriety, my energy came back, my liver area had no pain, my appetite returned, my sleep is normal..

See the doctor if you're wondering how you're doing. Some damage is irreversable, some isn't.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey there,

I went to the doctor after 60 days for liver tests....best bet is to go to your doctor, fess up and get the appropriate tests...hang in there...the liver is a very resilient organ....but congrats on the two weeks!!! Keep it going =)
Old 09-09-2009, 11:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Holdfold, Yes the liver is an amazing organ & we alcoholics have put a lot of stress on it.

A herbalist recommended Milk Thistle to me after consulting with her, I also did some research & was confident in what I read about it. Lastly I would recommend that you check with your regular doctor as well (its unfortunate that most don't have a clue when it comes to alternative remedies).

Here is some information on it Milk thistle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Take Care,

NB

Last edited by Anna; 09-09-2009 at 07:34 PM.