Notices

When our hero's become our friends

Old 09-01-2009, 04:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

When our hero's become our friends

I had been in and out of AA for many years before I finally got sober. I would watch the people in there before I let myself be a part of the fellowship and would be envious of the close relationships between the people there.

When I went to rehab this last time in January of 07 we had speakers come in 4 times a week to tell their stories. These people became my hero's. After I got out of rehab I would see them in meetings and was in awe of them.

Today they are my friends. It is not often in this world when our living, breathing hero's are a part of our daily lives.

While I know they can falter. I also have the utmost respect for these folks for being able to stay clean and sober. They talk the talk and walk the walk.

It took many years for me to become "part of". I had to throw myself into the AA program and let people get to know the real me. In doing so I found that people love and respect me for who I am.

My wish is to be like my hero's in and out of the rooms and show the newcomer that they too can be happy, joyous and free.

I am no longer a slave to drugs and alcohol today by God's grace, AA, the 12 steps and my living breathing hero's.
Old 09-01-2009, 05:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Wink

we are all human.. i have also been in and out for years. i have much experience with A.A. people who i have known for 20 years now (some) a very important lesson i learned long ago was-- never put someone up upon a pedestal because they are human beings.. as much as i love them i have seen them fall.. i understand how baffling it is to many. i know i don't know it all.. and i know i never will! ODAAT! peace.. (great post!)