Notices

Decision made - finally!

Old 08-27-2009, 06:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Decision made - finally!

I've made a few posts, and had a few chats - thanks everyone! and I've decided that there actually does sound like there is life without drinking! My husband is going to take me to an AA meeting on Monday. My first. I'm looking forward to it.

My life (I mean my drinking - but same thing) has gotten really out of control the last couple of months. I know I have to stop now. I keep pretending I have it under control, but then can't stay off the wine for more than 2 days. And when I do tell myself it's okay to have 1 drink - I end up drinking until I'm totally wasted, or passed out on the floor. How many times can that happen before I smarten up and realize I can't control it.

My husband is pretty patient with me. He's also an alcoholic and struggles to quit drinking, but he does go to meetings. He doesn't say anything when he finds me on the bathroom floor passed out. Just leads me to bed and puts a cold cloth on my head, but I know he's near his limit. As I also am.

I'll keep you posted! Take care.
Old 08-27-2009, 06:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on your decision Bailey!

D
Old 08-27-2009, 06:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Bailey,

I'm so glad that you have made this decision.

The denial part of addiction is so strong. Like you, I pretended to control my drinking for a long time, but basically I just tried harder to not let anyone notice. It was exhausting.
Old 08-27-2009, 06:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee...I have a really good feeling about this. And I have a plan. The first week - starting Monday that I dont drink, I'm going to go to alot of meetings, read,etc. Then the second week, my husband and i are going on a 5day bus tour to Cape Cod (US) for a vacation. We'll be on a bus, going for tours, dinner, etc. not much opportunity to drink (at least not the way I like to drink!) So I'm thinking this will be a good 2 week jump start to get me going before I have to go back to work and the pressures,etc...
Old 08-27-2009, 06:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Bailey, very awesome and very happy for you. You sound excited about it and that's great!!! My best to you and your hubby.
Old 08-27-2009, 07:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congrats on your decision!!! I just made the same decision this week and it's so liberating when you finally make it. As I was going through my last hangover I kept saying to myself, "This is the last hangover you will ever have...."

Keep us posted, Bailey and enjoy your trip to Cape Cod. I'm originally from around there and just love it...

Laura