Notices

12 weeks sober...

Old 08-27-2009, 03:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

12 weeks sober...

Yes I am nearly at the 3 month stage. I gotta say Ive had no major temptation to relapse. I have felt an emptiness at about week 6 that lasted days. I have had a few knee jerk ideas about drinking out of habit rather than temptation. I gotta say everyone is commenting how well I look and I do feel physically good too.

Unfortunately, I am not waking up singing first thing in the morning. What must I do to achieve this buzz? ps i am exercising, and working out.
Old 08-27-2009, 03:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I didn't wake up singing for a long time and even now that takes effort Eddie. Congratulations on 3 months!! I think you are doing awesome. The happiness comes when you discover there is more to life without drinking then with drinking. For me, I feel things deeper and its like the world is colorized. Strange, but that's my take. I guess I'm kind of strange. LOL!

Congratulations again!!
Old 08-27-2009, 03:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well done mate. Keep it going!!
Old 08-27-2009, 03:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Heathen

I never wake up singing.. but I'm sober.. and my life is wonderful because of it.
Old 08-27-2009, 04:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

acheiving a buzz, eh?

i suggest asking your sponsor about that one.
Or better yet, share about that at a meeting!!

The physical aspects of an alcohol free
lifestyle get much better with more time.
i appreciate your staying sober this day.
Are you practicing a program of recovery?
Old 08-27-2009, 04:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Well I dunno Eddie...I used to think sobriety was a magic wand that would evaporate all my cares and worries, or the portal to Narnia...and I relapse cos it wasn't.

I've learned life is life - I never wake up singing...but then I never did.....

I'm just better equipped to deal with whatever comes along, good or bad, now I'm sober....and the peace I feel enables me to look at myself and work on myself a lot too - and sometimes these days I do catch myself whistling

D
Old 08-27-2009, 05:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Nicely put Dee.

I know this isnt a competition to c who is the bigger addict if there is such a degree of addict, but I wonder do some folk lack certain equipment to deal with life, emotionally and spiritually.
Gotta say there are inspiring people here and there are people here who have been sober a long time who when I read their posts I feel like going straight for a bottle again. I wish the journey were less empty.
Old 08-27-2009, 05:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm hoping I'm in the first group LOL (don't answer that )

maybe you need to think outside the box a little Eddie?

are you feeling flat cos your life's much the same?
Maybe you need to find your passion - whatever that might be ?

or are you doing new things and chasing new pursuits - and still finding a lack of joie de vivre?

if so, may be that's the ubiquitous PAWs - 3 months was a weird time for me too....or it may be a clinical thing and might require a doctors help.

I hope you get to the heart of it soon Eddie - sobriety shouldn't be endured

D
Old 08-27-2009, 06:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by eddie73 View Post

I wish the journey were less empty.
I was going to try and say something inspiring..

At times I have found the journey lonely. Sometimes I have really not wanted to be on this journey. Empty?

Have you read the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous? That book helped me, I have found the journey to be many things, but not empty... and I attribute it to that book.

Hey, even if AA is not the path you want to take, if you haven't read it, consider doing so.... You don't even have to go to a meeting to get one... Borders and Barnes and Noble have them...

It helped equip me spiritually and emotionally.

Way to go on those first three months, early sobriety is damned difficult... so congratulations...

BTW... It was about 5-6 months before I woke up and my mind was at ease... it never sang in the morning, but it sure did a lot of screaming early on...

Mark
Old 08-27-2009, 07:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congrats, Eddie! That is fantastic!!!

As far as getting that spark in your life, I wish I could help. Have you tried Tae Kwan Do? I know that sounds kind of crazy, but if I had more time in my life I would work toward a Black Belt in Tae Kwan Do. Exercise is great, but it sounds like you could use something with a little more 'meaning' to it. My personal favorite is yoga, but again, martial arts would be something I would love to try as well.

Laura