i tried to stop drinking at least for today

Old 08-23-2009, 08:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy i tried to stop drinking at least for today

but it didnt work... i was just bored and depressed all day... this sucks
Old 08-23-2009, 08:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

You mean that instead of choosing something to do, you drank?

I was doing so much today I wouldn't have had time to drink. I hope you get some new activities in your life Sara.

Keep coming back.
Old 08-23-2009, 08:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

its not like i dont do anything but drink... its just that everything seems boring when im sober
Old 08-23-2009, 08:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I play a lot of guitar and I read a lot too... drinking kept me from doing those things.

What were you doing that was boring, that drinking made more exciting?
Old 08-23-2009, 08:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sara, you can do it. Try to do things sober and see how they feel. I know the impulse to pick up esp. when your used to doing things a certain way. Shake it up and get out of the house, change your whole schedule around for a days. The first few weeks it was hard for me to watch certain TV shows because those were my shows that I got obliterated watching. I honestly looked forward to certain shows knowing and anticipating that I would be able to get drunk and feel good. It was like a treat for me. I hope you give yourself a chance Sara....

~Jade
aka Reb
Old 08-23-2009, 08:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
mergirl

today I was sober all day. I took my roommate to meet up with a party bus. Then I filled out some job applications online. Then I ate 2 slices of carrot cake! After that, I went to the beach and read a really good book. Then I went to visit a yummy guy friend. After that I picked up my totally hammered room mate from her bus trip. She cried and thought she was having a heart attack and said she was stupid, now I am baby sitting her so she doesn't aspirate on her vomit. When her boyfriend gets here, I will have some carne asada tacos and hang out with friends.

My roommate may or may not have had "more fun", but she wont remember it so it doesn't count.

why do you even want to quit drinking sara? seems like you enjoy it a bunch.
Old 08-23-2009, 08:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
capra laeviculus

I'm often bored and always depressed the first day without alcohol...

Perhaps a second day is worth a shot
Old 08-23-2009, 08:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

I was sober all day.

I went to the pool with a self-help book. Then I put on a pot roast for dinner.

Then I went to a theme park with my teenagers. We rode go karts first. Then watched a tiger show. It was hilarious. The guy in the arena with a male tiger explained that one of the female tigers was in season. "He hoped the show did not have unscripted entertainment value". Well it did!

Each male tiger that came into the arena had to "express" himself! They would each back up to the railing, with their backsides and testicles facing the center of the audience and spray! OMG, I'm still laughing about that 'bonus' to the show!

Then we rode the junior rides (the ones for kids too big for baby rides, but not tall enough for the extreme rides) and screamed like we were terrified! My kids think I have the best horror film scream!

We ended the day at home with a pot roast, mashed potatoes and fresh green beans. We drank water with our meal.

Try changing your routines, that worked for me in early sobriety.
Old 08-23-2009, 08:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

it just doesnt seem right.... im drinking all the time no matter where i am or what im doing.. i always carry liquor with me... i dont necessarily get completely hammered during the middle of the day when im out in public, but im never sober... it's like theres a voice in the back of my head telling me that im better than this and i need to stop..... and its embarassing, ppl think im a drunk, some of my friends dont really like me anymore cause i get kinda mean when i drink... im only young and im sure ppl here have it a lot worse than me, but it still kinda sucks
Old 08-23-2009, 08:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

"i always carry liquor with me..."

Pour it out.
Old 08-23-2009, 08:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

i am not pouring it out.... and even if i did, i live in a house thats full of alcohol, its always there in front of me
Old 08-23-2009, 08:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hey Sara,

Can I ask what started you drinking in the first place? Since you are so young, where is your family in your life? Is there someone you can talk to? Please listen to that voice in the back of your head...it's RIGHT! You are better than this and try going out without the flask a few times. See how you do...

~Jade
Old 08-23-2009, 08:40 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi sara

Giving up isn't easy it can take time and effort for your mind and body to get used to a life without alcohol. I know because after another relapse I'm starting out again (I'm now on day 12) and this time I'm determined to make the adjustmants necessary.

Yeah boredom can be a big factor, I'm still struggling with that myself,the world seems so washed out and grey without alcohol. But I know from reading the posts from the good people out there that this, if I grasp the opportunities that come my way, will change. Then hopefully I'll be able to better appreciate everything that's going on around me without being in an alcohol induced haze.

At the end of the day alcohol just gives us a false perception of what is going on around us.

If you need any help and support you will find plenty of people on here on here who will happily provide it so keep posting

Good luck and all the best.
Old 08-23-2009, 08:42 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

I lived in a house full of alcohol for six months of my sobriety. There are others here that live with alcohol in their homes. They choose not to pick it up. They choose one day at a time. Sometimes one minute at a time.

What brings you to SR?
Old 08-23-2009, 08:46 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

my family life is kinda screwed up and complicated, i dont really have anyone to talk to.... and i dunno when i started drinking.. well i guess i started maybe 4 years ago when i was 14/15ish but i was trying all kinds of different things then.. im not sure exactly when it got to the point where i was just drinking all the time
Old 08-23-2009, 09:17 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi again Sara

I tried to give up many many hundreds of times so don't feel as if you're the only one.

It's really hard to give up something that's been your constant companion, something that everyone else seems to do just fine with...and something that, most of the time, can seem like it doesn't really screw with you that much.

But I had the voice too - the one that said 'You're better than this and you need to stop'.

I'm glad I listened to that and never totally gave up - cos that voice was right.

It's hard - especially doing it on your own with only SR to help.

Thats why most people here have real life support like AA or counsellors to talk with.

But that's ok - the main thing is listening to that voice - deciding you want to quit - and going for it 100%.

You will probably slip up a time or two - I doubt there's anyone here who hasn't.

It's a real journey from thinking about quitting to actually doing it...but keep trying - keep reading here about what other people do, keep posting about whats going on...there are people here who understand.

Just keep trying - soon you'll make that day, then two, then 4, then 8...

I wish I'd been so self aware as you are at 18 - it took me at least another 18 years to even realise I was in trouble...

good luck to you, Sara

D
Old 08-23-2009, 09:43 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Well I think in some way, shape or form we all have screwed up pasts and can relate. The good news is that you have a whole board of people to talk to any time you want/need.

If you don't want to pour it out yet then what are you looking for?

Jade
Old 08-23-2009, 10:18 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I started drinking when I was 14 too.

I am now 33, and look back on all the crap I went through mainly because of my addiction to alcohol.

I could list a ton of regrets, but ultimately all of them revolve around the fact that I had no control over myself or actions when drunk, got myself in really bad and scary situations - that didn't always end well, lost most people that truly gave a damn about me - the real me (those people were replaced by drinking and drug buddies), had absolutely no goals for where I wanted to be aside from getting drunk at a show, totally lost any interest in my artwork which I used to be really good at, would wake up many times physically hurt from the night before (I was a faller), always had the extra pounds from drinking mass quantities, couldn't hold even a s***ty job because I would be too hung over most times to make an appearance - and I remember most that a lot of the time I was bored.

I was bored because I was leading essentially a very boring life, and I couldn't really remember most of the fun times because I was blacked out.

People would tell me about the great time they had out and I would say damn I wish I had been there, and they would say - you were you idiot!

The problem gets worse the longer it goes on, and I wish I had been ready to face it and accept it a lot sooner in life, but I wasn't. Only you can make the decision and follow through. I hope it doesn't take you as long as it did me. Keep posting it helps.
Old 08-23-2009, 10:32 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Sara, I know how it's going..
I have two months under my belt, but have gone back to drinkin' since then.
I know how hard it is... I too, still, am drinking until I am satisfied, but it's not neccessarely (who knows how to spell it...)
until you get to the point of oblivion.,...

it's all about an underlying frustration of family matters, and I would say too, if you are new to giving up, don't feel guily about having a drink, it all needs to be done in your own time.

Don't let anyone push you around in the 'stop drinking thing' either, you will only be able to stop, when you are ready.

I'm still drinking because if my own ******** family matters, but I have gone from a full out drunk, to a social drinker (I'm gonna get crap for that!) but keep working on yourself, and the matters that trigger your drinking, and you'll be one step closer to obliterating the need to drink.

I myself am not there yet, but I hope one day, I'll be booze free.
And you can too.

Chin up, Life is a battle.
Old 08-23-2009, 10:42 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

this is from my heart....
i can only say that i don't know exactly where you've been or where you're coming from...but i know your words sound all too familiar....I started drinking way too young and way too often....and it has made life SOOO much harder on me....life is hard enough....be smart...be strong.....don't allow yourself to get caught up in the mess...in the bs....stay true to yourself without INFLUENCE of anykind.... IT"S NOT WORTH IT
Best of luck..please keep posting/ reading