Notices

Hydrocodone Addict needs Advice !!

Old 08-03-2009, 07:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hydrocodone Addict needs Advice !!

Hi everyone,
I was searching the web tonight on how to break Hydrocodone Addiction and found this site.

First of all I am deeply addicted to hydrocodone..Been taking it for over 5 years and it has just now snuck up and is taking over my life.I have severe back pain,had countless operations with no relief.How the Heck do you break an addiction that (for the lack of better words) YOU NEED to deal with the never ending pain??????????? Really in a TOUGH spot !! The cravings are incredible !!

I have an appointment with a psychologist at the end of this month.The use of Suboxone will be discussed.Wondering if anyone here knows how I should prepare.Has anyone been down this road with any advice?

I know the question is kinda broad,but I need serious help.How do I withstand the cravings???

How can this site help??

thx for listening
LST

Last edited by LSTnVB; 08-03-2009 at 07:40 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 08-03-2009, 07:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Check out a group of people called 'NA' (Narcotics Anonymous).

Keep coming back.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

They have pain meds that are non-habit forming. Ask your doctor about those. Best of luck, stick around.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi LostnVB

there's a lot of people here who deal with pain management and stay in recovery from substance abuse. Hopefully some of them will post here soon.

You should also check out these forums here at SR

Substance Abuse - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
and
Recovery and Pain Management - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

Welcome!
D
Old 08-03-2009, 11:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, LST!

I am currently in a similar situation with hydromorhone. I've only been on it for about 6 months but have a history of opiate addiction (stopped ~13-14 years ago) and am a fairly new recovering alcoholic. I am also considering suboxone as a two-for-one deal. My pain management doc wants to start thinking about substituting the suboxone for the hydromorphone. He does not know that I am abusing my rx, it just seems to be working out to my favor because I am getting out of control (snorting and very recently more).

I am looking into attending some NA meetings. I used to go but then started drinking again and that fell away.
For the pain, I am hoping the suboxone (if we go that route) will help. I've read folks experiences with this as a pain med and it seems to work great for some and not at all for others. I have also started acupuncture and hope that, over the next couple of months, I start to see a positive result. I am having results - just not positive ones (flare-ups, nausea), which I'm told is normal. I've also found an experimental program at a teaching hospital using magnetic treatment of the pain centers in the brain and am meeting with the director at the end of the month.

So, in short, I am trying anything I can find to help with the pain, even though I have not been forthcoming with my doctor about my addiction (though he does know I'm an alcoholic). I'm hoping I can become brave enough to do that.

Good luck and stick around.