Notices

Am I not alone?

Old 07-25-2009, 05:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Am I not alone?

Sometimes I feel so alone in this struggle.

I'm not oblivious to reality- I know that alcoholism is an illness that is shared by countless numbers of people...

But have you ever wondered (admittedly or not) if you're completely alone?

I'm so young (27) and sometimes have an incredibly difficult time accepting the reality of my condition...

'This isn't me- My family raised me better- I'm not REALLY an addict, right?'

These types of thoughts are painfully overwhelming.

I just hope this forum is something that finally effectively helps me.

I am so grateful for the opportunity, regardless of the outcome.

Debs
Old 07-25-2009, 05:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Debs, welcome. I felt alone also at first, but when I was your age I found this forum and I don't feel alone anymore.
Old 07-25-2009, 05:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome! Glad you are here. You don't have to be alone anymore.
Old 07-25-2009, 05:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks, adore... Hearing that this place helped you makes me really hopeful.
Old 07-25-2009, 05:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Awww two replies almost immediately!

You guys don't know how much that means to me!
Old 07-25-2009, 05:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Hi Debs, welcome to SR Yes I feel alone too at atimes even after 4 years in recovery, but truth is I am never alone if I keep open to my heart and that spiritual connection and if I let others in as well.

Hold my hand over the miles.

Kevin
Old 07-25-2009, 05:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I felt overwhelmed as well. Welcome Debs
Old 07-25-2009, 05:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I for one was a lot more lonely and alone when I was drinking than I feel now sober. It was me and the bottle as my primary relationship. When I was drinking my wife would accuse me of not being "there" when we were together,which was true, my body was there but my spirit was MIA. If I sometimes feel lonely it may be missing the bottle, I'll get over it, the relationship was deadly. Sober and serene.
Old 07-25-2009, 05:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Glad you are here, Debs. You are not alone. I used to feel lonely. Not anymore.
Old 07-25-2009, 05:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I definitely felt alone when I joined here on June 21st. Not anymore! So many people had nearly the same story I did (just different details here and there). I don't think you need to feel alone anymore.

Welcome!

Laura
Old 07-25-2009, 05:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yall have me in tears.. Thank you so much for caring and understanding.
Old 07-25-2009, 05:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Welcome to one of the best recovery sites on the web. Glad your here . Feel free to share more as you please or just take comfort the fact that you are no longer alone. There many here willing to lend a helping hand.
Old 07-25-2009, 06:03 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hey debs, I felt alone a lot when I first stopped drinking. I found this place before I stopped so I was lucky enough to already know where to go for understanding and support. I still feel alone a lot, my wife is an active alcoholic, but I log on here just about every night and feel at home even if for a few hours.
Stick around.
Old 07-25-2009, 06:23 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

'""This isn't me- My family raised me better- I'm not REALLY an addict, right?'""
that was similar to me.....i cant be an alcoholic....no way.

im a mans man....full of myself....nothing beats me...

powerless...jeeez thats for weak willed girls..right?

and there i was on a park bench unable to feed myself....unless with booze.

to be beaten ....was just alien to me...

but beat me it did...over and over and over and over...

when i stopped fighting and held my hands above my head....i started to get somewhere.

you not alone my friend...although it feels that way.

your surrounded by people here that know exactly how you feel.

god bless you.
Old 07-25-2009, 06:52 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Debs, Glad you found the SR site you will soon learn that there are multitudes of people here that will take the time to give you good advice from their personal experience.

Like trucker said "your surrounded by people here that know exactly how you feel."

Welcome, stick around- You'll see for yourself-- Glad you'r here!!
Old 07-25-2009, 07:17 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Heathen

Hey debs.. I'm 28.. and ya know what? we're not SO young anymore.. at least not TOO young to know better.. ya know? I've had a full career's worth of drinking in me, and I know I'm retired from it now I'm glad you're here.. doesn't matter the age, or any other demographic, addiction can grab anyone.

Lets all let it go together!
Old 07-25-2009, 08:49 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
jimbo

i found the actaul stopping drinking the easy part,the lonliness of walking away from everything i knew and my drinking buddies was the hard part

people on SR POSTED THIS WAS NORMAL AND IT WOULD PASS

i kept the faith even in my darkest hours

now not even two months later i feel great 20 years younger

i used to feel ashamed a failure the other day i liked the look of that man i knew in the mirror again

if only my word skills were better

if i could could only tell the unhappy masses that drink themselves to death and trade their children and familys for an early grave and a hangover how great the sober life is

please stay in SR these people know exactly how you feel and can help you in your darkest hours just like they helped me ...jim
Old 07-25-2009, 11:36 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

Hello and welcome to SR.
Old 07-25-2009, 11:37 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Yep can totally relate to the alone situ!

I always thought i was special and my problem was not like anyone elses, how could it be i mean i am cliff?! And, of course, i was a legend amongst drinkers and gamblers...lol that sounds so ridiculous now after only a couple of weeks!

Anyways it took a stint in 12 step rehab to sow the seed, sit next to a heroin addict, a prescription meds addict, other alcoholics (whatever term you use), cocaine addcit and then listen whilst they relate their life stories...although each life route is different the emotions, the problems and the end result is the same...i was stunned! What a relief it was...they are the same as me, hooray i'm not special or alone!

Then when i got out of rehab i became alone again, went back to the bars and gambling for 4 weeks...alone, depressed but knowing in the back of my mind that i'm not really alone as i wasn't alone in rehab, if only there was a place where i could meet these sort of people out of rehab...there is a place and it's called AA, simply put where people like you and me meet up, talk about stuff, make new friends and as a bonus have a way for you to enjoy the rest of your life...it's even free membership!

Stick around and you may get lucky too! I only got involved in SR last October really, since then have been to counselling, antabuse, anti depressants for a while, rehab, left job, moved area, and finally got my ass into AA...i go for coffees everyday with a few guys from AA, i am a loud mouth but am getting a reputation as quiet cliff now...i just want to hear them speak, i'm so glad i know i'm not alone anymore!

One more thing, the meetings i attended in Barcelona, half of them were under 30 years of age...no BS!
Old 07-28-2009, 10:21 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by debs View Post
Sometimes I feel so alone in this struggle.

I'm not oblivious to reality- I know that alcoholism is an illness that is shared by countless numbers of people...

But have you ever wondered (admittedly or not) if you're completely alone?

I'm so young (27) and sometimes have an incredibly difficult time accepting the reality of my condition...

'This isn't me- My family raised me better- I'm not REALLY an addict, right?'

These types of thoughts are painfully overwhelming.

I just hope this forum is something that finally effectively helps me.

I am so grateful for the opportunity, regardless of the outcome.

Debs
27? I thought you were like 18 or 19 from your picture. I guess you age well.

I'm 24 and I also have a hard time accepting that I'm an alcoholic and that I'll never be able to drink again. But then I remind myself of the consequences. And it's a great thing that you're reaching out for help now for your disease rather than when you're in your 40s and you have jaundice and other alcohol-related health issues.

This forum is very helpful, you just have to have the right questions (and sometimes the wrong ones). Most people here are pretty cool, accepting and warm. That's why it's important to go to AA or LifeRing or SMARTRecovery, to realize you indeed are not alone and to prove that others have made it through, and with the help of others. I would highly recommend going to one of those meetings, if you're not already. It makes you feel less alone. And while how you were raised can affect your alcoholism, it's a disease, and often hereditary. It's not your fault. It IS your responsibility for owning up to and taking hold of your recovery. That starts with humbling yourself and admitting you're powerless over alcohol. I say Step One should also include "...and realized we are not alone in this struggle."

You'll make it through just have faith in your ability to make it and keep coming back here.