Notices

Medical test

Old 07-23-2009, 05:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Now with fewer opiates!

Medical test

Hey there:
Three kind of cool things happened yesterday as a result of a dual colonoscopy and endoscopy that I had done.

Never assume: I did not do enough research and did not know until the morning of the procedures that some anesthesiologists use narcotics as part of the knock-out cocktail. Needless to say, I panicked. I called the anesthesiologists office in the morning, no answer...left a message. I ran it by the intake nurse who assured me no narcs would be used. I then had a lengthy conversation with the anesthesiologist to reassure myself. While things like surgery were obvious, I know now to research every medical test and procedure and ask questions.

12 Step Programs are cool: As I am in the waiting room, sweating out having these conversations with the staff, I look up and, standing there, in scrubs, is "Jo" from my AA home group. I had no idea she worked there. She assured me that some patients have refused anesthesia so it would not be a big deal. She sat and talked with me for a good couple of minutes. And yes, it was a coincidence, but a welcome one.

And finally:
Proof positive: At last I had physical proof that my head is, indeed, not up my a$$.
Old 07-23-2009, 05:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Optimist

Bear, you gave me a much needed smile this morning. I had never before heard of anything "cool" resulting from a colonoscopy
Old 07-23-2009, 05:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Go Browns!

Well I wouldnt be so sure about that last one....
I never would have thought that narcotics were used in anesthesia either. Im glad you got it taken care of by thinking and acting fast. Good work.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

((Bear)) - thanks for the smile this morning I didn't realize about narcs being used in anesthesia, either, but then I've only undergone anesthesia once. I do remember the anesthesiologist coming to talk to me, and I know they have to, if at all possible, any time they put someone to sleep, so I always thought I would be able to tell them "hey..I'm a recovering addict!!". I have always told my doctors and nurses from the time I entered the hospital, though.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 07-23-2009, 07:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
The truth shall set you free

If a doctor is going to stick a camera up you know where?. They better put me under.

Bear,

I’m glad to hear everything went well.

Ivan
Old 07-23-2009, 08:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good thing your head is not in your bum anymore, they wouldn't be able to fit the camera in there if it was!

Glad things came out all right...lol.
Love,
KJ
Old 07-23-2009, 09:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Now with fewer opiates!

Just so I'm clear here, I didn't refuse anesthesia. I just assured there was no narcotic med involved. This was a case where a little Googling was a bad thing for the bear. Google told me they sometimes use demerol or fentanyl as part of the procedure to assure there was no pain. This place didn't do that.
Oh yes, Ivan, Da Bear was a$$-sleep for this one.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Now with fewer opiates!

Originally Posted by anvilhead View Post
what??? no pictures???
Well, in point of fact, I do have some lovely shots of my innards.

I should also have mentioned, since I did the pre-procedure prep, I was no longer full of sh!t either...
Old 07-24-2009, 06:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
TheMostSordidSpotOnEarth

"Colonoscopy" paired with the word "assume"...are you asking for the punchline or giving it to us?

Bear, although I'm also wary about over-Googling, good on you for considering your recovery before the big event took place.

It is really cool that you had someone from your group there as a supportive surprise.

I'm also glad that your test is over.

Isn't it incredible how everything about us winds up relating to recovery? Head to toe, bottom included.

Ahem, I didn't say any of that. I'm a lady.
Old 07-24-2009, 09:21 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I think you're overreacting just a little, in a sense. You should just let the doctor do what he feels is necessary; but then again I'm not you and have no idea what your general physiological and psychological reaction is to narcotics.
Old 07-24-2009, 09:54 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stagebear View Post
Hey there:
Three kind of cool things happened yesterday as a result of a dual colonoscopy and endoscopy that I had done.

Never assume: I did not do enough research and did not know until the morning of the procedures that some anesthesiologists use narcotics as part of the knock-out cocktail. Needless to say, I panicked. I called the anesthesiologists office in the morning, no answer...left a message. I ran it by the intake nurse who assured me no narcs would be used. I then had a lengthy conversation with the anesthesiologist to reassure myself. While things like surgery were obvious, I know now to research every medical test and procedure and ask questions.

12 Step Programs are cool: As I am in the waiting room, sweating out having these conversations with the staff, I look up and, standing there, in scrubs, is "Jo" from my AA home group. I had no idea she worked there. She assured me that some patients have refused anesthesia so it would not be a big deal. She sat and talked with me for a good couple of minutes. And yes, it was a coincidence, but a welcome one.

And finally:
Proof positive: At last I had physical proof that my head is, indeed, not up my a$$.

Well how about that! Also, I strongly believe there is no such thing as coincidence. She was there for a reason. To help when needed.

Glad everything is ok and now there is physical proof!
Old 07-24-2009, 10:12 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Now with fewer opiates!

Originally Posted by Vintersemestre View Post
You should just let the doctor do what he feels is necessary
And, I believe, necessary is the operative word. In this case, Demerol is used as a precaution and certainly not necessary. I have already gone on record as someone who does not have objections to meds being used as needed.

Didn't matter, though. This doc never used Demerol.
Oh, and speaking of funny things happening: The anesthesiologist was a hip young woman who said, and I kid you not,
"Oh, no. No narcotics. We're just going to give you the stuff that killed Michael Jackson. But don't worry, you'll be monitored."

(In fairness to what sounds like a cold doc, we had already been joking about being a young, female, black anesthesiologist. She was actually very cool.)

Originally Posted by Vintersemestre View Post
I'm not you
And bless your creator every day that you are not. :rotfxko
Old 07-25-2009, 12:49 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

Leave it to the Bear to find humor in a camera being shoved up his . . .

I don't think it was coincidence at all that Jo suddenly appeared when you needed someone in the Program the most. I call those things a God Shot.

BTW, I for one won't be hurt if you don't share pictures of your adventure with us. lol
Old 07-25-2009, 10:38 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stagebear View Post
Hey there:

And finally:
Stagebear,

I sometimes wonder if coincidence is just another word for karma/fate/destiny/design... (Ignore, if you want... just rambling.)

The other comment I have is that your last little quip about your head reminds me so much of someone I quit smoking with on a forum a couple years ago... He was also a forthright grumpy bear at times... If you do not, no problem. Just nosey, I guess...
Old 07-25-2009, 03:13 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Now with fewer opiates!

Originally Posted by margarok View Post
your last little quip about your head reminds me so much of someone I quit smoking with on a forum a couple years ago... He was also a forthright grumpy bear at times... If you do not, no problem. Just nosey, I guess...
I suppose it's possible. I've quit twice for spaces of about three years, and am obviously a fan of support, both online and f2f.
Old 07-25-2009, 10:12 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
*Grateful*

The last time I had propofol after having to have a endoscopy they told me they gave me enough to kill an elephant and I was still behaving badly. haha

Glad it went okay Stage!