Notices

When did your mood improve?

Old 07-22-2009, 07:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Go Browns!

When did your mood improve?

Just curious how long after quitting opiates that your mood stabilized. When did you start feeling happier?
Old 07-22-2009, 07:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey girl,
It was about four months for me. It was then, it was as though the 'fog' kind of lifted.
I now have good and bads days, but who don't? But, I just feel very peaceful with myself. I can't describe it, other that to say I feel free.

Penny
Old 07-22-2009, 07:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

After my 7th step, and even more so during my 9th. I was very angry and 'sensitive' while I was using and when I first got clean. In the process of taking the steps, I learned to look to myself, rather than put the focus on others, when dark moods moved in. It was usually my reaction to a person or situation that set me off, not the person or situation itself.

My daughter's memories help me gauge my progress. She was nine when I got clean (is almost 16 now), and she has memories of me raising my voice or crying for hours, but she says it seems like she's remembering someone else. She's even more incredulous when my mother starts telling stories about what a mean, hyperactive kid I was. So, at least in my case, the change has been pretty dramatic. Don't get me wrong -- I still feel anger at times, though not the throw-everything-in-sight-and-swear-like-a-sailor kind of anger. I get sad, too, though other than when people close to me have died, I couldn't tell you the last time I cried for more than a moment over my own pain (physical, emotional, mental). And I have occasional bouts of anxiety, though I have a pretty good set of tools to deal with it. It's been years since I crawled into the closet and pulled the door shut

As for time line? I was about five months clean when I did my 5th, 6th & 7th steps. At 6-7 months clean, I made my list and began my amends. If I hadn't gone that route, I don't see how my mood would have improved -- because, for me, it wasn't a chemical thing. It was me. Until I was willing to change me, I was the same person, using or not using.

Have you started step work with your sponsor?

Peace & Love,
Sugah