Notices

What to do? Normal? Looking for someone that understands.

Old 07-19-2009, 06:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What to do? Normal? Looking for someone that understands.

I am 42 days sober and feeling REALLY restless today. I grew up having food issues. Obsessive/compulsive eating and bulimia. That out of control feeling where I MUST eat...guess when I stopped a lot of that...when I started drinking. I have still been over weight but I work really hard to maintain some sanity around that issue. I exercise a lot--even when I was drinking--and still continue to do so.

I have REALLY bad anxiety and I don't know what is normal from my stopping drinking and what is my anxiety. I am looking for people who can relate to mixture of issues or just the actions.

I am feeling the out of control feeling when I just want to EAT EAT EAT. I am REALLY scared of gaining weight but I understand that it is sometimes a side effect of stopping drinking. I guess it is more that out of control feeling...like the one I had when I had woken up from a night of heavy blackout drinking.

It is like something else takes control. I think most of it is the anxiety and untaken care of feelings.

So...I guess my question is...alocholics...is this normal behavior at this time in my sobriety? Are others going through this? ANything to do for relief? And for those with anxiety issues...thoughts?

YES, I am seeing a therapist but sometimes I would like to know what others in my position or those who have gone before me have gone through. (My first time to share...most responses seem to say go to see a therapist. . I was wanting some shared friends and help with understanding.

Can't wait to hear any thoughts about what this process was like for you!!

Thank you!
Old 07-19-2009, 06:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Resident

When I first quit drinking I started eating a lot of sugary treats and gained a lot of belly fat until I decided to take control. There is a great thread here for people that want to quit the bad eating habits under special intrests-eating disorders- 100 day challenge Os free(obvious sweets) It has been harder for me to give up the sweets and that is why I have my OS free date in my signature.
To get rid of my belly fat by concentrating on it I started the 16 week fitness challenge, which includes exercise and diet in my case but all participants construct their own program. It is under the health and fitness section so feel free to join us.
I am doing the 6 small meals thing and it is helping me to focus on my diet better and I am starting to see results.
I don't know if this exactly the type of share that will help you but I hope it helps a bit.
Old 07-19-2009, 06:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Hello, feeling.

I have anxiety issues, alcohol issues and food issues.

I know all about the EAT EAT EAT thing. Shoot...it's more persistent than the urges to drink.

I have 3.5 months sober...so I'm still early in this sobriety thing.

You say you exercise...use that to get through the food cravings. Go for a really long walk, punch a bag, run, lift weights, play a sport. That will help with any nervous energy, too.

I should take my own advice. If all else fails...chew a bunch of sugarless gum.
Old 07-19-2009, 07:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

In the early days of sobriety, I was too nauseated to eat. Then my appetite took off. As I understand my addiction, my body had become accustomed to absorbing the quickest calories it could get: alcohol. That was my bodies main source of calories and energy. It took a while to retrain it to absorb real nutrition from whole foods.

I lost some bloat after I quit drinking. Not a lot of weight loss, tho. Then I started to get an appetite, but I did try to eat healthy, whole foods and gradually increased my excercise as my energy increased. It was a slow process, because my fatigue seemed to keep me dragging through my days.

I'm glad you mentioned going to a therapist. I did have emotions and anxiety, too. A therapist may be able to help you sort out some of your feelings and how to cope with the emotions you are feeling. Your therapist and others here with eatting disorders may be able to offer more support.

I had to learn how to cope with life on life's terms instead of drowning all my feelings. I have had to train myself to respond to situations instead of jumping into a knee jerk reaction to situations. I am learning to practice serenity and respond to situations in a calm manner. Believe me, everyone is much happier in my life!

It's a work in progress, not perfection. So I keep taking it one day at a time.

Congratulations on 42 days!