Notices

Chardonnay Fog

Old 07-17-2009, 12:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Chardonnay Fog

I'm taking a dive into this forum as I am seeing people posting who have a similiar pattern; I can easily down a bottle of Chardonnay in an evening. My brain is foggy and I am heading for big trouble if I don't get hold of a goal to stop this. I'm afraid of using my insurance because of my work - I teach in a community college. I used to be better than I am now.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by braincells View Post
I'm taking a dive into this forum as I am seeing people posting who have a similiar pattern; I can easily down a bottle of Chardonnay in an evening. My brain is foggy and I am heading for big trouble if I don't get hold of a goal to stop this. I'm afraid of using my insurance because of my work - I teach in a community college. I used to be better than I am now.
I am the same way....just out of curiosity what size bottle? I can drink one of the big ones in a night.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

What is it about Chardonnay? It is my downfall too. I can drink a small one no prob in an hour, if I have a big one, I usually leave about a 1/4 of the bottle and then get up in the morning and pour the rest out bcs im so mad I drank so much!
Old 07-17-2009, 12:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Don't be afraid of the insurance issue, be afraid of something in the future if things get worse, screw ups at work, missing work, DUI, etc. There is confidentiality. I used my insurance for detox and treatment and I teach at a university. My sobriety was more imortant to me than my secret. MY best
Old 07-17-2009, 12:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by determined1 View Post
What is it about Chardonnay? It is my downfall too. I can drink a small one no prob in an hour, if I have a big one, I usually leave about a 1/4 of the bottle and then get up in the morning and pour the rest out bcs im so mad I drank so much!
Yep....exactly!!
Old 07-17-2009, 12:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Heathen

Your doctors nor your insurance can share anything about your medical care, by law.. if you live in the US.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Today's Muse

I was a Chardonnay gal myself. I started out with one bottle and soon it turned to two bottles a night. The truth be told, for me, I chose Chardonnay because the alcohol contact was higher. I went for the highest amount drawing the line at thunderbird. That stuff scared me, but rationalized that the other was fine. Crazy...
Old 07-17-2009, 12:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

If you feel you need 'outside help', go for it. As has been said already, confidentuality forbids info about you from being spread. If you are thinking of rehab, then go for it. Whatever gets and keeps you sober is good.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
JJB

Looks like we could make a chardonnay club -it was my drug of choice too.

I don't know what you mean by big or little bottle but what everyone has always said to me is it's not the amount you drink but the effect it has when you have that first drink.

Can you drink one glass and then put the bottle back in the fridge for the next day?
I know i can't and it will niggle me until that bottle is empty.

I'm only passing on what people have said to me but if you're a teacher or any other job the illness is going to get worse -it's a progressive disease and if you don't do something about it now you're moreorless certain to end up in a much more embarrassing situation at work sometime in the future than if you get sorted now.

I don't know where you live but have you thought of phoning the AA helpline? I found them really helpful and can't think why I didn't phone earlier.

Good luck and welcome to SR where we all don't drink chardonnay together!

Old 07-17-2009, 12:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Heathen

The funny thing is.. you're right, there's like a wine theme going on lately. Being a "hard liquor drinker", I didn't drink wine (get ready for this) because it got me too drunk. It made me sick, made me black out, I was DONE after 3 glasses. I liked my rum and my vodka, they didn't effect me as much.

I could have probably downed 3 or 4 double rum and cokes and not even felt buzzed, but if I had ever tried (and lord knows I did) to drink a bottle of wine (much less a big one! holy cow) to myself in a night.. oh hell.

So when people think.. 'just wine' 'just beer'... nahhhh matters not.

Crazy stuff.. glad to be done w/ it!

Welcome!
Old 07-17-2009, 02:14 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by determined1 View Post
Oh I didn't dump mine, that went with the next bottle.........
Old 07-17-2009, 02:46 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I was going to call you Chardonnay drinkers a bunch of amateurs until I read Smacked’s comment. I had no idea. The only thing I thought wine was good for was chasing 100 proof vodka. Learn something new everyday. I guess the DOC does not matter it is the manner in which we use it.

I just hope whatever you're using, if it's getting the best of you,you'll learn how to deal with it and quit!

I'm soon celebrating 30 days on watter and air! It is GREAT!!!
Old 07-17-2009, 02:48 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by braincells View Post
Dont hold back getting yourself help for ANY reason. I kept my secret too long and now my health is in trouble. You're already taking the first step, now run towards help.
Old 07-17-2009, 02:48 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I would always start off the binge with a bottle of ice cold chardonnay. Then follow it with a bottle of red.

And when you guys are referring to the "big" bottles, do you mean the 1.5 liter magnums, as opposed to the standard 750 milliliter size?
Old 07-17-2009, 05:59 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Well, I'm on my first day off Chardonnay after 5 years. I recently found the "big" bottles. But, it doesn't really matter - I would drink 2 regular bottles at the least and more a lot of times. Over 2 bottles would make me feel bad the next day.

Short story - lately I've been depressed and anxious and have been drinking way too much. Hence, the reason I decided to stop.

I have found a lot of similar posts here and they have given me hope. I always thought wine was not as bad as the hard stuff - not so!

Today sucks, but tomorrow will be better.

Good luck to you!

c
Old 07-17-2009, 07:39 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

According to the U.S. center for Disease Control....
Beer? Wine? Liquor?
Your body and mind processes all 3 toxins equally
so drinking only wine or only liquor or only beer
or mixing them is of no importance.
They all do the same damage.
braincells....
Welcome to our recovery community
Yes....you too can win over alcohol
Old 07-17-2009, 08:11 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Add me to the group of wine abusers.... Chardonnay and Spanish or Chilean Red Wines were my favorites. Beer -- could take it or leave it. No interest in the hard stuff. However, wine would get me in trouble night after night. A "small" bottle was enough to get me wasted and totally wrecked in the morning. Don't miss that part of it...
Old 07-17-2009, 08:13 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

I would drink Chardonnay in a pinch and chug it like Kool Aid. As you might be able to tell from my name, I preferred the red.

I too felt like you do..just when you start to worry a bit about the amount etc...took me a few more years to stop being worried and move right up to terrified about the amount I was drinking, and what it was doing to my life. I got sober and then started going to AA after things still sucked even though I was sober. Life is pretty good now for me...

Hope to see you posting..

Karen
Old 07-18-2009, 02:59 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
JJB

Hey luckedog your post was interesting and has explained something to me.

When I explained to someone once in a chatroom (not here by the way) that my "problem" was that every evening I had to have one bottle of wine -rather like getting my 5 fruit and veg, someone answered with a laugh "oh a wino"

May be he was thinking I wasn't a "real" alcoholic
That's really dangerous thinking.

We make enough excuses to ourselves and if I could tell myself that I'm not an alcoholic because i ONLY drank one bottle of 750 ml white wine per day seven days a week then who am i kidding?

I was what is referred to as a www -white wine witch.

I haven't had any for 10 successive days now and it's a real struggle but physically i'm already looking and feeling much better.
I'll go to my first aa meeting tomorrow -i hope they won't think i'm not a REAL alcoholic because it wouldn't take much persuasion and I'd be back on my daily bottle!

Old 07-18-2009, 03:08 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Yup. I'm part of the wine club too. I would drink about 1 and 1/2 750 ml litre bottles a night... saving the leftovers for the next night. If I drank more than one bottle you could guarantee a 'depressive and anxious hangover' the next day. Thing is is usually after one bottle I'd knock back an over-the-counter sleeping pill to a) keep me from drinking any further and b) put me out for the night. I'd sip another half bottle of wine and then stumble into bed.

Not good. Not good at all. The logic in those choices is missing.

I never touched the hard stuff either as, frankly, it killed me if I did drink it. Horrible hangovers, throwing up etc. So, I stuck to my friend Mr. Wine.

I am 8 days clean now.

You can do it too braincells. The first few days will be hard, but it gets easier after that. Sure the bumps that life throws at you willl be waiting to test you as well... but just ride out those first few days and you'll find the energy to help you along after that.