Notices

Weekend Warriors - July Edition

Old 07-10-2009, 02:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
grateful to be here

Lightbulb Weekend Warriors - July Edition

I'm determined to get thru this weekend without drinking. I am off until Tuesday and quite frankly am worried that I won't make it. So I thought I would challenge myself publicly (here on the board) to make it thru the weekend - I always drink (binge) on the weekends. I cannot remember a weekend I have been sober the whole way thru. And I don't remember the last time I was sober for more than 5 or 6 days. I've went thru some physical stuff at the beginning of the week and am still feeling physically wrecked. With another doctor's appt coming up and having to get bloodwork (some that checks liver) done.... I want to get the best possible results and I gotta not drink at all. I have a month.
So anyway yak yak I talk a lot. I thought that if I started a thread (first time I have) that maybe it would have some strength to hold me to it. I thought maybe everyone who is being sober over the weekend could post how they are doing and what they are doing even if it is just laying on the couch being sober (which may be what I post seriously). Especially if they have any tips on what to do/think/change instead of drinking. And to encourage each other - that's what I like most about SR is the support.
I saw a post the other day that had a mention that this fight against alcoholism is a war, so the name of the thread came from that. It doesn't matter if you are a newbie or have been sober for a while, just as long as you are doing the sober thing this weekend. Hope everyone joins in and we can have some fun with it.
:ghug
Old 07-10-2009, 03:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Right on! I've got a few AA meetings planned for the weekend and some light projects to get done on the house, so I won't have much free time to think about drinking. I'd also like to exercise, maybe a long bike ride or a walk with our dog.
Old 07-10-2009, 04:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Living in sobriety

hiya....I will get a meeting in the morning, visit a relative in hospital. Go out to dinner in a place I am happy and comfortable in. Do whatever need doing around the home. See can I help someone else. listen to music, spend time with my dogs , long walks. Come on Sr..... relax, read some of my book, cook..............there is so much I want to do the weekend is probably not going to be long enough.
Old 07-10-2009, 07:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
grateful to be here

got Friday done
this evening I ate cookie dough ice cream instead of beer
and I went to chat here at the boards from 9-10p
now I'm going to bed
SOBER!!

love and sobriety to you all
Old 07-10-2009, 08:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Gym and meetings for me this weekend, plus spending some sober time with my kids
Old 07-10-2009, 08:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Bohemianzen,

I like the idea of this. Fridays were my killer for a long time. I'm headed to bed now, have a boxing class at 8a, then facial (*****oooo) at 11a.

Will check in tomorrow. Hope you do to.
Old 07-10-2009, 09:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Going to bed, sober. I'm with you Bohemianzen!!!

Just got back from picking up my new au pair at the train station....
Old 07-10-2009, 09:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Took the kids to the water park today...read SR tonight....tomorrow, maybe back to the water park ,or the petting zoo with the kids, bbq for dinner, Sunday work in the morning, and a bbq in the afternoon at friends...there will be alky...but not for me
Weekend done sober...I'm loving it.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Right before I clicked on this post, I thought "Wow, I have a strong urge to drink tomorrow night. I haven't drank since last Saturday." The gears are turning, trying to rationalize, telling myself I deserve it as a reward for being good all week. If I had a bottle of wine next to me, I would probably start guzzling it until I couldn't fit anymore in my stomach. I'm trying to think of a way to reward myself tomorrow night, but not with booze...suggestions?

So I am right there with you, trying to get through the weekend sober!
Old 07-10-2009, 10:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well... I just got back from playing some tennis until it got dark then hit the beach to watch the sunset with a hot coffee. Did some mountain biking for a while too, time for a hot bath & a movie... yes at the same time

Have a great weekend all
Old 07-11-2009, 03:38 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Playing WoW and hopefully going to Ikea with a friend to check it out. Haven't been to the one in Ft. Lauderdale yet.

If I'm around Sunday I'm thinking of heading to the Gratitude meeting with the girls.
Old 07-11-2009, 06:05 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
grateful to be here

I'm so happy I'm in such good company this weekend - each and every one of you posting helps me stay firm in my determination. It's so neat to hear about what you are doing and gives food for thought of things to do instead of drink.
I just got up at 8:30 - later than I normally sleep. So I got a good solid 9 hrs in. I'm getting ready to drink my first cuppa coffee and find some things to do. Last nite b4 I went to bed, I drug out my "alcohol books". I have Seven Weeks To Sobriety / Sober...And Staying That Way / My Way Out / Sober for Good and also 2 that are day by day books: Meditations for Women Who Do Too Much & Meditations For People Who (May) Worry Too Much. Those last two I have underlined all through and I love the quotes that are at the top of each page.
Today I'm going to: sort out the books that go with my appliances and throw out the ones that belong to things I no longer have. I woke up thinking about this-because I am also going to dehydrate some mushrooms today and want to find the booklet that goes with my dehydrater (it's been stored away for quite a while). I recently discovered some videos on youtube that show a lady dehydrating and want to do this to save money. It looks pretty neat. I'm also going to wash the sink full of dishes that's sitting in there right now. Pick stuff off the living room floor (a lot) and vacuum. Try to do something you could call exercise (yoga on the clean floor, walk the treadmill or lift my little weights, something to begin) Post on SR off and on all day today to keep my goal in sight. Cut/sort the piles of coupons I have. Drink some type of liquid all day today - hopefully a lot of water and eat something good today - probably zucchini out of my pitiful little garden. And read and watch movies. I think all of that even if I don't accomplish it should keep me busy.

dabears, I think you should think of what would be a treat for you. For me it is things like eating a favorite food (ice cream last nite for me), watching a movie I've been wanting to see, going to the library and getting some good books to read, a big bubble bath to relax, things like that. Do you have a hobbie that you could buy something that goes along with that to reward yourself? or maybe take yourself out to eat? or even order something really good in? What "trips your trigger" and makes you feel special? It is all about you right now!!!

love and huggers to everyone fighting the war today
Old 07-11-2009, 01:13 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Heading out to play tennis again & then I am meeting up with an old girlfriend who called me up asked to go out tonight ummm ok. She isn't a drinker so I know I am in good company there.

Wow bohemianzen looks like you have a busy day planned.

Have fun!
Old 07-11-2009, 02:25 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

BZ: Looks like you're staying busy. And I thought I was the only one who saved all those appliance books.

Got laundry going, cooking shrimp and brocolli linguini with alfredo for dinner. I volunteered for our little city's triathlon tomorrow so will need to be out of the house by 530a.

I am so grateful for everyone on this site.
Old 07-12-2009, 04:43 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
grateful to be here

still warring on!!
i didn't get to the appliance books, maybe today. the dehydrator book was right on top of it. it was filthy so i washed it up and let the trays dry outside, then put on 5 trays of mushrooms (4 containers) it took around 10 hrs. i think i may do baby carrots today...im not sure. i'd like to do enough stuff to where i could make a vegetable soup concoction for this winter.
i also started crocheting yesterday. i knew how to do the first row of chain stitch but had to go to youtube to figure out how to keep on. i'm not very talented or learned with crochet, but can make a flat square, so i'm working on a blanket out of all the misc yarn i have. also something for this winter.
i drank water with lemon juice in it and some pop. i didn't eat much which doesn't hurt because of my weight. but i'm going to today so i don't get too Hungry. i need to keep the HALT thing in my mind esp for the upcoming week. i think Tired gets me every day coming home from work....so i don't know-need to figure out something about that.
i also did read and watch movies & cleaned the kitty litter. so the rest of the stuff on the list i still have to work on today. and whatever else that pops up that i want to do instead of drinking.
hope everyone else is doing well being a warrior this weekend.
today is day 7 for me. i wouldn't have made it if it weren't for you guys here at sr.
Old 07-12-2009, 07:19 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Good on you!

It's a rain out here, triathlon got called. I went and bought a coffee and a donut. Now, I'm here. Gonna see what new games are in the arcade and read all day.
Old 07-12-2009, 07:35 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Finished my sober weekend with a sunday night aa meeting
Old 07-12-2009, 07:42 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Played golf all day yesterday. Listened to some music. Cleaned the house some. Will probably go give my car a good cleaning today. Will go back to the driving range later when it's cooler. Maybe I'll work out. Might watch a movie later in the evening. Plus read. Maybe write some. Come here to keep my goals of sobriety fresh on the mind. None of these things would happen if I drunk. If I drunk last night, I'd still be asleep, and then I'd be hungover and anxious doing nothing other than just trying to go through the recovery process of drinking water etc.
Old 07-12-2009, 07:58 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
grateful to be here

dehydrated some more today - bananas, zucchini, more mushrooms. i gotta make a plan of what i'm doing!!! i'm just dehydrating the heck outta everything --- but it's been fun.
crocheted some more - sorted coupons..... watched movies.. another lazy day. not too motivated, but it will come i guess.
today made day 7 for me. i made war with the can and i won. of course i stayed in the whole weekend and didn't have any beer to start with so that took care of that
i'll have to make it easy on myself for awhile - i'm afraid i would fail a test. i do have tomorrow off work but have no plans to go out then either. then tuesday coming back from work there's no other way but to go past where i buy it. i hope i can turn my head. but no thinking about that now. i did good this weekend (with a little help from my sr friends!)
i'm off to bed to read before sleep. i wish everyone a safe sober nite. and a peaceful week ahead. hope to see me & you back here next weekend.

:ghug2
Old 07-17-2009, 02:27 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
grateful to be here

the first night of another weekend
i'm still hanging in there....when i lay me down to sleep it will the end of day 13. i'm figuring out things to do saturday and sunday.
still really tired from work --- it just friggin' wears me out everyday.
i had a lot of health problems today.... i woke up at 5am with a feeling that someone had taken their fist and hit me at the top middle of my stomach. it really hurt and burping didn't help relieve it any. i took maalox liquid and a generic zantac and after ~3hrs it mostly went away. i tried to eat easy today but my stomach still hurt at times. i'm feeling some better right now except my left leg is hurting geesh i quit drinking you would think i would feel better-- i'm going to drink some water....i really want coffee though but figure i better not. maybe tomorrow if i'm feeling better.
it feels like it is going to storm here ... the wind is blowing and the air feels heavy. i opened the windows. im watching the peeping tom (old scary movie that is on bravo's 100 scariest movie moments list) and crocheting some on the ugly blanket i'm making.
that's all right now.
hope everyone is joining me this weekend being a sober weekend warrior. post what you are doing to keep your mind off drinking~everyone is welcome.