Notices

If i just quit alcohol what would happen to me, help?

Old 06-30-2009, 07:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

If i just quit alcohol what would happen to me, help?

Im almost at that point where i cannot drink anymore yet at the same time i am waiting for a residential detox on the nhs in the uk (national helath service).

Okay ill explain abit about my drinking since it become daily the past 6months so you can reccomend how safe it is to stop:

jan-march-

2-5 cans of 5% 500ml cans of lager

april - may -

usually 4-5 cans of 5% 500ml cans of lager with a dozen binges inbetween binges maybe up to 12 cans of lager usually about 8 though

June- the progression has upped a notch recently and it is getting worse i will consume at least 6-10 cans of 5% lager a day sometimes nearer 12

I would appreciate anyones opion on stopping within the next few days and if u could give some advice (yes i know its your experiance) i dont know if i can wait for this residential detox and i cant afford to pay for it myself. If i go to the doctor and get some pills can u let me know, sorry im abit drunk but very desperate.
Old 06-30-2009, 07:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Hello, Horizon. I don't know how it works in the UK. Can you go to your regular doctor and tell him/her about your situation? It can be dangerous to detox without medical supervision.

There should be some folks from the UK coming by who better understand what you can do to get help over there. Hang on.
Old 06-30-2009, 07:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

I would suggest getting help from a doctor. Alcohol detox can be deadly. A medical professional should be able to help you. One thing I would also suggest--be honest and tell them exactly how much you have been drinking. We do recover.
Old 06-30-2009, 07:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well it could take weeks to see my local doctor who has known me since i was a wee lad, and she is very understanding and seems to know about addiction. I went to see a doctor on the weekend, i waited an hour to c him but he didnt want to know, as soon as i mentioned alcohol addiction he seemed to switch off and was very unhelpful. I waited an hour and was out the door within 5 minutes. I guess some people even health proffesionals dont have a clue when it comes to addictions.
Old 06-30-2009, 07:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Originally Posted by NewHorizon25 View Post
Well it could take weeks to see my local doctor who has known me since i was a wee lad, and she is very understanding and seems to know about addiction. I went to see a doctor on the weekend, i waited an hour to c him but he didnt want to know, as soon as i mentioned alcohol addiction he seemed to switch off and was very unhelpful. I waited an hour and was out the door within 5 minutes. I guess some people even health proffesionals dont have a clue when it comes to addictions.

That is terrible.

I was under the impression that alcohol addiction is a huge problem in the UK. It's awful that the medical professionals aren't doing more. I am so sorry.

Hang in there, Horizon. I hope someone comes by soon who can help or can suggest somewhere you can go to get some help pronto.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I feel helpless, yet I had to respond. I used to live in the UK (two years) and know how frustrating the NHS can be.

What if you just showed up in the emergency room? What would they do? Have you tried that? Have you called AA? Is there some sort of crisis hotline you could call?

I have no idea, but you do need help, medically, ASAP. Maybe others on here have some ideas.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Focus

Not that I really know, but that seems like a very fast progression. I agree with trying to get some advice from a professional.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi again mate

You can call Frank - the UK Drugs and Alcohol Hotline 0800 77 66 00.
They have a 'need help' page too

FRANK - Need help

I hope you find something useful to help you. Detox is dangerous without medical supervision.
Go to Casualty if you need to.

The Salvation Army also provides detox and rehab services
http://www1.salvationarmy.org.uk/uki...E?openDocument

D

Last edited by Dee74; 06-30-2009 at 09:22 PM.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I agree with the professional help even if its emergency room. Some other thoughts (I don't like them but it may be better than nothing) cut back and detox in stages or what I did, got some Valium from someone to ease the DTs--still bad but livable. Eventually relapsed any way and went inpatient with detox. Whatever you decide I hope for you the best. I've detoxed cold turkey and made it but it was hell. Now I am 85 daze sober and counting one moment at a time.I will do anything and everything to make it work. I have never felt so fulfilled and alive in my life.

If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill Namaste
Old 07-01-2009, 03:58 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Not having any experience in trying to get detoxed in the UK I would strongly suggest if you are really serious about getting sober to call a group of sober alcoholics in the UK that have gone through detox there. Get off of the keyboard and pick up the phone, call your local AA, I can assure you that they can tell you how to get into detox quickly.

Dee gave some other darn good suggestions.