Notices

haemochromatosis and alcohol

Old 06-29-2009, 06:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

haemochromatosis and alcohol

Would welcome any comments from people 'in the know' about the effects of alcohol on suffers of Hereditory Haemochromatosis (HH) ? This condition is an Iron overload and is quite prevalent in the Celtic countries.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm an alcoholic, not a doctor. I'd suggest you try Google
Old 06-29-2009, 08:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I have never heard of this condition.
I sronly suggest you talk with you doctor

This is from our SR Policy Rules & Regs....

10. Medical Advice: No Posts giving medical advice, medication advice, or psychiatric advice. Do not use the forum to give or ask for professional medical or psychiatric advice. If you are a medical professional, please remember the forums and chat are for peer support only and not to be used for distributing professional medical advice and/or using the forum to represent your professional services. Medical and Psychiatric advice includes giving a diagnosis, treatment plan, medication advice and dosage suggestions, over the counter and natural home remedies that should be approved by medical professionals. Detox can be dangerous and life threatening at times. Please consult with your physician.
I hope you will check with a medical professional....
Old 06-29-2009, 08:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey there, I get what you were asking and obviously people aren't in the "know", not yet anyway....I understand you were asking for someone who has experience with it or may be suffering from it...Hang around, someone who may have it might be along....lots of different personalities on here...either way though def. contact a doctor....I wish you luck!!!

~Reb
Old 06-30-2009, 05:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
mergirl

My dad has it. He cut out booze entirely when they first diagnosed it, he drinks a bit of wine now. He has to stay away from iron-rich foods and used to go in once a week to have blood removed. I will email him today and ask if he has any specifics on the alcohol angle.
Old 06-30-2009, 06:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My husband has hemachromatosis. His iron level isn't high enough for him to have to give blood. He stopped drinking then but it is not brought on by drinking but alcohol could damage your liver even more. I would ask my dr about it but are you sure it's not fatty liver, common in alcoholics?
Old 06-30-2009, 08:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
mergirl

my dad never responded to the email, if he does I will let you know
Old 07-01-2009, 04:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Sorry!! Didnt know the rule about not asking for medical advice!! My humblest apologies to all in the forum!