Notices

New to this community

Old 06-18-2009, 09:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to this community

feeling a little shy, a little curious and a little adventurous to where this next leg of the journey will take me. tonight i let go. question for sober community is. how has being part of a community online contributed to your recovery?
Old 06-18-2009, 09:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Norma1

Welcome to SR!
I've been here and sober for 2 years - drank for 20 years before that and all day everyday for the last five.

I find the sense of community here to be very strong - there's a lot of collective wisdom, an incredible amount of information, a lot of support and encouragement...and some straight talking when it's needed.

I came here seeking help - now it seems I get what I need to keep me in recovery, from helping others - which is kinda nice

I think you could do a lot worse than use SR as one of your recovery tools.
I hope you stick around and read some more - post if and when you're ready

D
Old 06-18-2009, 09:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I've been a part of several online communities, and this is by far the most supportive and positive place I've ever visited and contributed to. The day I first posted here, I was just getting through day 1 of sobriety and was full of questions, as well as seeking companionship from people I hoped understood what I was going through. I could have gone to an AA meeting nearby, but after just a few posts I realized I had found everything I needed here, without suffering the anxiety of having to make (or avoid, I guess) eye-contact, or trying to steady a nervous, wavering voice. There was no pressure - there still isn't. I would have been lost trying sobriety on my own; this forum is now essentially my sponsor always pointing me in helpful directions and offering encouragement and support, at any hour of the day or night.

Welcome!
Old 06-18-2009, 09:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

i have been trying to quit for years...never had the courage to go to any meetings...found this site by looking up local aa meetings and i am completely surprised by how much reading and posting here has helped me. i finally have a solid feeling that i am actually going to be finally able to do this, with support but also on my own.

welcome, and please stay and read.....and post....you will be shocked how much it helps
Old 06-18-2009, 09:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
13 May 2009

Welcome Norma, I have been on SR since the begining of my detox to my recovery which I am now going through. I have made great friends and I have had great advice, it has also been great b/c its 24 hours a day. Welcome to SR I am sure you will enjoy it and get as much support as much as I have and I can almost entirely credit the support I have had on SR with keeping me sober - Good Luck in your journey
Old 06-18-2009, 11:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! It is a great place for support and help! I know a lot of people are leery of going to an AA meeting. But I have to put my plug in for the meetings........there are over 500 here in my area every week. Some, I don't care for. But others are great! Everyone has a FIRST meeting at some point. Get that first one over with. Raise your hand and let people know you are new. Around here, you would be swamped with sober people willing to give their support. If you go and sit in a corner, don't say anything, then leave with a resentment or feeling discouraged.....well.....Once you get talking to people, get to know them and let them get to know you, you will have a new lease on life of the living sober community.
Old 06-18-2009, 11:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yep, I'd say the best idea is to have as many tools as you can, Mary

D
Old 06-18-2009, 11:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SoberRecovery
Old 06-19-2009, 09:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Heathen

It's a great supplement to my recovery, but definitely not the only tool in my toolbox.
Old 06-19-2009, 10:16 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

I can't say enough good things about SR.

I had been recovering for a couple of years when I found this place, and I've been here for years now. I am always, always inspired when I come here. There is so much hope!
Old 06-19-2009, 10:24 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Welcome to the site

S/R has been a great supplement to go along with AA meetings for me.

Hopefully, this site can be used as a stepping stone for people with problems to attend a support group !!
Old 06-19-2009, 11:04 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I go to my home group AA mtg sometimes, but for the most part, SR and my addiction counselor are my sobriety tools. Welcome to SR! Lots of forums here, even one for comedy! Explore the site. It's all good.
Old 06-19-2009, 11:26 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

A great place to talk with wonderful people for support & feedback, stay for a while & you will see for yourself.

Welcome to SR
Old 06-19-2009, 12:42 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

That was a great question, Norma. For me it was as simple as no longer feeling alone in the hell I'd created for myself. We feel so hopeless when we think no one has ever felt the way we do. When I came crawling in here, I felt battered and drained - alot of it from remorse and guilt that I couldn't let go of. I was set straight about that, and it worked.

My favorite thing about SR is - there are very few know-it-alls who judge and lecture. Otherwise, I'd be long gone. The open-mindedness, compassion & empathy is constantly surprising me.

I hope you'll find what you need here and stay with us.
Old 06-19-2009, 03:03 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
My favorite thing about SR is - there are very few know-it-alls who judge and lecture. Otherwise, I'd be long gone. The open-mindedness, compassion & empathy is constantly surprising me.
You beat me to it Hevyn!! This is such a Big Tent, there is room for everyone, support from everyone. All aspects of recovery are accepted here, active addicts and alcoholics, those who perfer a secular method of recovery, 12-steppers, even a place for friends and family.

Please explore, this place has so much to offer. Hope you stick and stay, it's a good place to be.
Old 06-19-2009, 03:06 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

This place has been helpful to me. Lots of "aha" moments. Lots of nice folks.

30 days today -- wooohooooo!
Old 06-19-2009, 06:04 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Welcome to SR This community saved me from myself and still does, like Dee and others here been around a while and stay around to keep growing and give back.
Old 06-19-2009, 07:29 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Miracles Happen

Hi Norma.

I use Sober Recovery as a meeting in between my AA Meetings. Only its longer than the 1 hr AA mtgs. LOL I have been blessed with so many friendships here. When I first signed up with SR I had never been a part of anything online before, so I was pretty leery about it, but it has been a Godsend. I really mean that, there is so much wisdom and compassion here. Hope you stick around. Oh and congratulations on your first time posting, you are much braver than I was
Old 06-19-2009, 09:06 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi and Welcome.....

Today is the anniversary of my SR membership.
For 7 years....I've found our site to be filled with
information...understanding....caring and unending support.

It's a vital supplement to my local AA committments.

This community is centered on hope.
Old 06-19-2009, 09:40 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

Welcome to the SR community!!

To try and sum up all the ways this online society of men and women have helped me would be like trying to define the monetary amount for a one-of-a-kind item. Suffice it to say that this continues to be a priceless experience that can never be equaled or duplicated! i carry within me the genuine love and acceptance many of us have for each other here and that touches the hearts of everyone i relate to throughout each day i stay sober and clean.

Stick around and find out for yourself!!