OT/Suggestions or idea about finances.....

Old 06-14-2009, 02:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

OT/Suggestions or idea about finances.....

Ok long story short I am in such a bind right now and know that alot of people on here are knowlegdable and thought I would see if anyone had any ideas.

I am going to school full time, working part time, collecting unemployment, and supporting 3 children.

I have been taking out Stafford loans to maintain my larger expenses over the sememster of school. Early in the winter semester I inquired of my financial aid office if I would be able to take additional funds out for summer (as I had in the previous sememsters) I was reassured that I would be able to do this.

Two weeks before summer school starts I am notified that there is NO ADDITIONAL FUNDS for summer. My financial aid office said that I could apply for an alternative loan thru wells fargo. I did. Denied. No cosigner.

So does anyone have any ideas about what to do for summer funding?

I have never heard of not being able to get a student loan without a co signer. I have had student loans before that were cosigned.

I even tried to find out about the federal Perkins loan but I am not sure if the school I go to offers it. There is no information about it on the website....

So any input or ideas would be greatly appreciated....
Old 06-14-2009, 03:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A Brand New Life

My advice is get to a church that will take up a few collections and also to seek some type of summer camp through the church that would waive the fees so you wouldnt have daycare expenses. Try to get your neighbors friends to chip in a few dollars and I am sure it will add up?
Old 06-14-2009, 03:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

A school financial officer/advisor should be able to direct you to some resources and also let you know if the Perkins loan is available.

Right now I am praying my volunteer/practicum time at my local hospital will turn into at least a part-time job while I'm in college as one of the biller/coders there is due to have a baby in September.

As it is, Vo-Rehab is covering what my Pell grants don't so that I don't have to take out any student loans.
Old 06-14-2009, 03:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

#1. Are you going to a college? If so, then you can apply for a government loan. What is setting up a red flag for me is that you are unsure if they would give such a loan. It makes me wonder if you are going to an accredited school. When you get your degree is it under the Board of Education? I may want to look into this... Then again, most schools do not give loans for the summer terms.

I would do as "whereami" mentioned and look into grants, scholarships and charities. I filled out EVERY application, form and wonder if I signed my soul away, but I did get a free ride for my entire school career.