Notices

I really want a glass of wine...

Old 06-10-2009, 11:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy I really want a glass of wine...

The cravings just won't go away. I'm 4-days sober and I know that isn't very long but it is to me. I've been an alcoholic for the past 5-years drinking on the daily. A month ago I checked myself into treatment but relapsed once after 2-weeks of sobriety. I was very disappointed and don't want to be disappointed again. I won't give in, I won't have that glass! I took a sleep aid ...waiting for it to soak-in and help me some. I don't want to regret those sips tomorrow morning. Sorry for the nonsense ...I just need to get my thoughts out, occupy my mind and time. Sooo, I did a little bit of googling and found this site. It's comforting to know that others feel the same and I am not alone. :praying Thank you for taking the time to read

Last edited by karezbear; 06-11-2009 at 12:02 AM.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey there and welcome!!! Oh stay strong!!!! Read through some of the posts and absorb absorb...some of the more "seasoned" members should be along shortly and will undoubtably give you great advice =)

I am a newbie myself.....keep posting and reading.....hope to hear more about you =)

~Jade
Old 06-10-2009, 11:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Also pretty new here but sticking to this site like glue lately. Just don't drink for now/today, its not worth it!

Welcome to SR
Old 06-10-2009, 11:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Unhappy I really want a glass of wine...

But will sleep it off and call it a night :praying Thanks everyone for the support

Last edited by karezbear; 06-11-2009 at 12:09 AM.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

It is possible to work through the cravings Karezbear, and it does get easier

If you have any booze there - dump it - I dumped all mine so there was no question of me having a moment of weakness and just having 'one sip' - one sip? that never happened LOL.

I found keeping busy was the key for me in the beginning - trust me you learn to kinda ride it out

Stick close!
and Welcome!
D
Old 06-11-2009, 12:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
If you have any booze there - dump it - I dumped all mine so there was no question of me having a moment of weakness and just having 'one sip' - one sip? that never happened LOL.

D
Hi - I'm new here too (a big wino for 5 years also) and I agree completely that having any alcohol in the house is a recipe for disaster. I even have to avoid going out some days so I won't buy any.

Good luck to you!

c
Old 06-11-2009, 12:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yooo can doooowit! 1 day at a time..thats what I said 84 days ago'
and it worked.... Oz...
Old 06-11-2009, 12:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
13 May 2009

I am new to this site and tomorrow will be nearly one month of sobriety for me, although I have thought about booze every second of every day, I have only had 4 near serious relapses when I wanted to lock myself up. My mind played all sorts of tricks I could smell it, taste it, feel the glass etc, I self talked to myself until I thought I was going mad. But on the advice of my sponsor I actually analyzed these emotions and realized that I didn't want a drink...I WANTED TO BE DRUNK. Somehow this made it easier to cope with the cravings and I realised I did not crave a nice martini with an olive twist.... I craved oblivion, this made my enemy more tangible, at least for me.

I am not sure whether this is the same for you, but it will get easier and the guys here have offered great advice. Stay with it
Old 06-11-2009, 12:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I've been where you are. Every day it gets better.

I have to admit to eating something with carbs and welcoming the crash. When I wake up I usually feel so much better and that urge to drink is gone. Exercising a little more the next day burns off the carbs and I survived another day clean and sober.
Old 06-11-2009, 01:30 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

sleep well

D
Old 06-11-2009, 04:11 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Sleep well, I have not wanted a drink in quite a while, early sobriety was like a roller coaster ride for me, some days after I got out of detox I seemed okay, I thought about drinking a lot, then there were times where I really craved/obsessed over a drink, these were the days where my meetings meant the most and helped me stay sober.

The problem was I just did not feel right, meetings were a big help, but I still felt like a drink was a good idea, the obsession was still there and it was starting to really eat at me after I had been sober about 2 months. I spoke about this with my sponsor and other old timers and in a nut shell they told me that what made the biggest difference in thier sobriety and life was taking the steps with thier sponsor.

Well I was really tired of feeling the way I was so I grabbed my sponsor and he took me through the steps........ some where while taking the steps with my sponsor not only was I feeling a lot better about myself, the world, and life in general, I realized that the obsession was gone!!!

The steps were the key for me, I became comfortable in my own skin, life made sense, when problems arose I had a solution to go to other then a drink and I just do not even view a drink as a need or a want, I could care less if I ever had a drink again.

I have heard people say that the cravings lessen with time, for some that may be true, it was not for me, with time, yes for the most part the cravings were less, but never gone, and when things started to go bad, the cravings returned with a vengance, today thanks to the steps when the crap hits the fan the last thing that pops into my head is "Man I need a drink!" I have a solution for life today that works, that has replaced my old solution of drinking.
Old 06-11-2009, 07:21 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Cheers (w. cider) to another sober day! I feel GREAT!

After all the kind words, posts, support from all of you I was able to get through another day & night of sobriety. I can't thank you enough! It feels great Of course I'm still thinking of that drink but it's not nagging at me like it was last night, which I can handle. Hehee --MWAHHHZ!!!
Old 06-11-2009, 08:11 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Glad you decided not to drink!

The phrase "glass of wine" sounds so lovely to me. It invokes feelings of leisure, cheer, calmness. I always romanticized it that way I guess. Funny how the massive hangovers, ridiculous phone calls/e-mails, being able to taste the after math of it on my breath the morning after, nausea and anxiety the the next day seem to slip my mind when that phrase is said. :brick

Again, good for you for not drinking! Stick around, God knows it's helping me.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:20 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

Recovering our ability to say "No" to drugs/alcohol is our most precious gift!
So glad you are living in the WE fellowship instead of using the I method!!
Old 06-11-2009, 08:30 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm just a little over a week sober myself and I'll tell you meetings are working wonders for me. I don't know what your AA stance is but I can tell you I wouldn't have made it a week without the program.
I wish you the best.
Old 06-12-2009, 01:30 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by littlebluedog View Post
Glad you decided not to drink!

The phrase "glass of wine" sounds so lovely to me. It invokes feelings of leisure, cheer, calmness. I always romanticized it that way I guess. Funny how the massive hangovers, ridiculous phone calls/e-mails, being able to taste the after math of it on my breath the morning after, nausea and anxiety the the next day seem to slip my mind when that phrase is said. :brick

Again, good for you for not drinking! Stick around, God knows it's helping me.
Thank you LBD, I appreciate your post
Old 06-12-2009, 06:42 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Good to know you are chooseing sobriety.....

I think there are 2 types of cravings
perhaps a mixture?

One type is more a habit than physical.

You drive home and your car steers into your
favorite bar or package store.
You come home tired...sit in "your: chair and
want the usual comfort of a glass/can in hand.
To sleeep better...toss down a drink.

These can be avoided by changeing your routine

Drive a different route
Change the furniture around..sit in a different place.
Fix a glass of anything non alcoholic.

If you drink booze from a can...use a glass
If you did drink from a glass...use a mug

I did time my cravings in early sobriety.
Mine were 5 to 7 minutes in duration.
seemed forever...but that was false.

I took action....drank cold watter ...brushed my teeth
went for a walk...danced around the room...ate Lifesavers

Within 2 weeks they lessened immensley... in both
intensity and duration By 2 months they vanished.....

I was also following an eating plan + vitamin supplements
and attending AA each morning before work.

4 days us a good start....Well cone!
Old 06-12-2009, 07:18 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks Carol. Great suggestions!
Old 06-12-2009, 08:08 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

hello and welcome.when i gave up earlier in the year i only had one choice as i could not do it alone,this was AA.my life has changed beyond recognition in a very short time by working with a sponsor and working the 12 step recovery programme.i live in scotland,but im from york origionally,,another UKer!!!!! yey,,if you want to know nay more of my experience,strength and hope,,ask away.my thoughts are with you and i wish you well,,sr is a wonderful tool in sobriety,i have made many friends here and read great suggestions and advice.
Old 06-12-2009, 08:17 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I think alot of the drinking is that it is so much of a habit and habits are hard to change...having that glass of wine in your hand all evening. Need to change it up. That is a hard part for me. I bought a big water bottle yesterday filled it with ice, lemon and lime and carried it around with me drinking it all evening. It tasted really good, was good for me and helped to have something to drink all night.